Creating thumbnails from multi-page tiff page images
Author Message
 Creating thumbnails from multi-page tiff page images
I'm trying to create small "thumbnail" images of the pages of a
multi-page tiff file.  So far, the best I've been able to do with PIL is
to convert from "1" to "L" and run the BLUR filter before scaling down
by a factor of 32 or so.  The results are okay at best.

So one question is, has anyone gotten PIL to generate nice thumbnails?

The second question is, does anyone know how Windows NT gets those great
thumbnails that it displays when you click on the Image tab of the
Properties dialog for a multi-page tiff file?  In the dialog, it's
called "preview" - they look gorgeous compared to what I can generate in
PIL.  Has anyone managed to invoke that kind of image previewing from
python?  Is there is a dll or COM interface for that bit of Windows?  (I
think that the Properties image previewing is done under the
explorer.exe process, but I'm not sure.)

Thanks in advance,

      - Randy

Mon, 05 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Creating thumbnails from multi-page tiff page images

Quote:
> The second question is, does anyone know how Windows NT gets those great
> thumbnails that it displays when you click on the Image tab of the
> Properties dialog for a multi-page tiff file?

Oops - I believe now that an application on my PC called Pagis (controls
scanning, performs OCR) has somehow stuffed that tab into the Windows
properties dialog for files of type .tif and .xif (a proprietary Pagis
format).  In other words, Windows isn't calculating pretty thumbnails on the
fly, rather, Pagis has built and cached them in the image file for easy
access.

Sorry for the confusion.

   - Randy

Sat, 10 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. any thoughts on creating jsp counterpart (rsp, ruby server pages) for dynamic web pages

2. TclX.n man pages (and pages and pages....)

3. Create Thumbnails with PHP & Image Magick

4. creating image thumbnails from PDF

5. Read FAX files (Tiff,G3,g4..), for split in 1 page files

6. Page of pages in a report (CW5).

7. Special Page header on first Page

8. Page break on every page ??

9. Report: Total pages on first page?