Win32/Python serial port event character problem
Author Message
 Win32/Python serial port event character problem

Chris,
I had a quick question about flow control in
serialwin32.py. On line 120,:
http://www.*-*-*.com/
if RTSCTS is selected by the user then RTS and DTR are
enabled (with handshaking). Why are both RTS and DTR
enabled? If RTSCTS is not selected by the user then
the RTS and DTR lines are still enabled but nothing is
done with them. Can you explain why? OK, so that was 2
questions :).

Thanks once again,
Derek T Basch

Quote:

> > Sorry to post this again but it didn't get any

> well 14hrs isn't that much time on a weekend... some
> people only look into
> news once per week.

> > I use the following code to read data from the
> serial
> > port when a certain event character ('\n') is
> > received:
> > Has anyone ever dealt with this? Is using the
> event
> > character not a reliable method in windows?

> no sorry, i haven't used the event mode.

> > This is driving me batty so any help is greatly
> > appreciated.

> <shaemles plug>
> my tip is: use http://www.*-*-*.com/

> and read the characters in a separate receiver
> thread. that thread can then
> trigger on any character or sequence (e.g. using a
> Queue to communicate
> with other threads)
> </shaemles plug>

> --
> http://www.*-*-*.com/

http://www.*-*-*.com/

Sun, 16 Jan 2005 04:19:35 GMT
 Win32/Python serial port event character problem
Thanks alot. That answers my questions. According to
this:
http://www.tetraedre.com/advanced/serial2/msdn_serial.htm
many different types of flow control can be used at
the same time. It does make sense to leave the lines
high if they are not being used.
Thanks for the help,
Derek Basch

Quote:
> Am 30.07.2002 22:19:35, schrieb Derek Basch

> >I had a quick question about flow control in
> >serialwin32.py. On line 120,:
> >http://www.geocities.com/dbasch/flowcontrol.txt
> >if RTSCTS is selected by the user then RTS and DTR
> are
> >enabled (with handshaking). Why are both RTS and
> DTR
> >enabled?

> the idea if rtscts is to enable HW-handshake. there
> is 5 and 7
> wire handshaking (RTS/CTS and those plus DTR/DSR).
> i have to admit that i never use HW- handshake, i
> included
> that option for completeness. if if's not doing
> what's generaly
> understood under HW handshake, then they can be
> changed.

> >If RTSCTS is not selected by the user then
> >the RTS and DTR lines are still enabled but nothing
> is
> >done with them. Can you explain why?

> if you don't use hardware handshake, then the lines
> should
> be high, signaling that there is a programm running.
> the pins go high by default, i think, but i wanted
> to be sure.
> i have embedded projects that are powered by the
> control
> lines and thus setting them to high is very
> desirable for me.
> (one board can be reset through the RTS line etc.)

> chris

http://health.yahoo.com

Sun, 16 Jan 2005 09:36:36 GMT

1. Win32/Python serial port event character problem

2. Win32all serial port event character problem.

3. Serial Error 0x4002 (Error 16386, character was lost by overwrite / serial port overrun error)

4. Serial port access in Win32

5. Win32 and serial port - help, anyone?

6. ANN: pySerial - a mulitplatform serial port library (Win32, Linux, Jython)

7. WIN32 Serial Port

8. Serial port in Bochs for Win32

9. Win32 serial port programming

10. serial port frustrations on win32