Seeking Minimal Python Project Name (was: [pypy-dev] Re: [ann] MinimalPython project)
Author Message
 Seeking Minimal Python Project Name (was: [pypy-dev] Re: [ann] MinimalPython project)

Quote:

> There is only one name possible, it must be called pythy.
> As in pithy

Not that it's necessarily a bad name, but *why* is that appropriate?

I immediately thought of the image of a snake biting its tail -- an ancient
symbol of the cycle of life, recursion, etc.  The name for this symbol
appears to be variously:

Uroboros
Ourobouros
Ourobourus

Not sure which spelling is "canonical".  Not so easy to pronounce though.

I also thought of doing something with "Python Squared", but it's neither
very original nor catchy.

Cheers,
Terry

--
Anansi Spaceworks
http://www.*-*-*.com/

Fri, 01 Jul 2005 15:15:13 GMT
 Seeking Minimal Python Project Name (was: [pypy-dev] Re: [ann] MinimalPython project)

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Seeking Minimal Python Project Name (was: [pypy-dev] Re: [ann] MinimalPython project)

Quote:

> > There is only one name possible, it must be called pythy.
> > As in pithy

> Not that it's necessarily a bad name, but *why* is that appropriate?

Indeed, the word has negative connotations, so it does not seem like an
appropriate name at all.

Quote:
> I immediately thought of the image of a snake biting its tail -- an
> ancient
> symbol of the cycle of life, recursion, etc.  The name for this symbol
> appears to be variously:

> Uroboros
> Ourobouros
> Ourobourus

> Not sure which spelling is "canonical".  Not so easy to pronounce
> though.

I've seen so many spelling variations that I would think that in itself
would disqualify it as a good choice of names.  In this day and age, it
makes sense to choose names that can be easily found through search
engines.  If it's inherently hard to spell right, it's not a good name.

/  \ There I was / There I was / Splitting atoms with my desire
\__/ Lamya
    WebVal / http://www.alcyone.com/pyos/webval/
 URL scanner, maintainer, and validator in Python.

Fri, 01 Jul 2005 18:01:37 GMT
 Seeking Minimal Python Project Name (was: [pypy-dev] Re: [ann] MinimalPython project)

    >> I immediately thought of the image of a snake biting its tail -- an
    >> ancient symbol of the cycle of life, recursion, etc.  The name for
    >> this symbol appears to be variously:
    >>
    >> Uroboros
    >> Ourobouros
    >> Ourobourus
    >>
    >> Not sure which spelling is "canonical".  Not so easy to pronounce
    >> though.

    Erik> I've seen so many spelling variations that I would think that in
    Erik> itself would disqualify it as a good choice of names.

Not to mention which there is an open source project in the X space called
Oroborus.  There is a Mac OS X version also called OroborOSX:

    http://oroborosx.sf.net/

whose icon is a snake biting its tail wrapped around the "X".

Skip

Fri, 01 Jul 2005 22:34:55 GMT
 Seeking Minimal Python Project Name (was: [pypy-dev] Re: [ann] MinimalPython project)

Quote:
> > > There is only one name possible, it must be called pythy.
> > > As in pithy

> > Not that it's necessarily a bad name, but *why* is that appropriate?

> Indeed, the word has negative connotations, so it does not seem like an
> appropriate name at all.

I don't see pithy as having negative connotations beyond sounding a
little bit like "pissy".  But I'm not that crazy about it anyway.

Quote:
> > I immediately thought of the image of a snake biting its tail -- an
> > ancient
> > symbol of the cycle of life, recursion, etc.  The name for this symbol
> > appears to be variously:

> > Uroboros
> > Ourobouros
> > Ourobourus

> > Not sure which spelling is "canonical".  Not so easy to pronounce
> > though.

> I've seen so many spelling variations that I would think that in itself
> would disqualify it as a good choice of names.  In this day and age, it
> makes sense to choose names that can be easily found through search
> engines.  If it's inherently hard to spell right, it's not a good name.

E. R. Eddington's book was titled "The Worm Ourobouros" iirc.  I don't
think I'd want to base the name on this.  But if I did, I'd shorten it
to "Oro", which also happens to mean "gold" in some languages.

Fri, 01 Jul 2005 23:27:46 GMT
 Seeking Minimal Python Project Name (was: [pypy-dev] Re: [ann] MinimalPython project)

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Seeking Minimal Python Project Name (was: [pypy-dev] Re: [ann] MinimalPython project)
On Mon, 13 Jan 2003 07:15:13 GMT

Quote:

> I immediately thought of the image of a snake biting its tail -- an
> ancient symbol of the cycle of life, recursion, etc.  The name for
> this symbol appears to be variously:

> Uroboros
> Ourobouros
> Ourobourus

> Not sure which spelling is "canonical".  Not so easy to pronounce
> though.

Taken by a window manager
http://www.dreamind.de/oroborus.shtml

Chris

Sat, 02 Jul 2005 00:17:36 GMT
 Seeking Minimal Python Project Name (was: [pypy-dev] Re: [ann] MinimalPython project)

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Seeking Minimal Python Project Name (was: [pypy-dev] Re: [ann] MinimalPython project)
On 13 Jan 2003 07:27:46 -0800

Quote:

> I don't see pithy as having negative connotations beyond sounding a
> little bit like "pissy".  But I'm not that crazy about it anyway.

It does look a lot like pity, which gives me negative vibes.

/Mikael

WWW:     http://www.dtr.isy.liu.se/dtr/staff/mikael
Phone:   +46 - (0)13 - 28 1343
Telefax: +46 - (0)13 - 28 1339

         /"\
         \ /     ASCII Ribbon Campaign
          X      Against HTML Mail
         / \

This message was sent by Sylpheed.
Link?pings kammark?r: www.kammarkoren.com

Sat, 02 Jul 2005 00:02:42 GMT
 Seeking Minimal Python Project Name (was: [pypy-dev] Re: [ann] MinimalPython project)

Quote:
> On 13 Jan 2003 07:27:46 -0800

> > I don't see pithy as having negative connotations beyond sounding a
> > little bit like "pissy".  But I'm not that crazy about it anyway.

> It does look a lot like pity, which gives me negative vibes.

> /Mikael

To pith a frog is to kill it by destroying its central nervous system
(usually by passing a needle through it).

'Pithy' is one of those words, which (unless you are doing anatomy)
almost exclusively shows up as part of the phrase 'pithy saying'.  It
started out with the meaning 'precise and to the point'.  These
days most people who use the expression believe that it means
'trite, hackneyed ...  a clich'.  (And I sure surprised people recently
when I thanked them for calling something I said 'pithy'.  Alas,
no compliment was intended ...)

Laura Creighton

Sat, 02 Jul 2005 00:15:35 GMT
 Seeking Minimal Python Project Name (was: [pypy-dev] Re: [ann] MinimalPython project)

Quote:
> > On 13 Jan 2003 07:27:46 -0800

> > > I don't see pithy as having negative connotations beyond sounding a
> > > little bit like "pissy".  But I'm not that crazy about it anyway.

> > It does look a lot like pity, which gives me negative vibes.

> > /Mikael

> To pith a frog is to kill it by destroying its central nervous system
> (usually by passing a needle through it).

> 'Pithy' is one of those words, which (unless you are doing anatomy)
> almost exclusively shows up as part of the phrase 'pithy saying'.  It
> started out with the meaning 'precise and to the point'.  These
> days most people who use the expression believe that it means
> 'trite, hackneyed ...  a clich'.  (And I sure surprised people recently
> when I thanked them for calling something I said 'pithy'.  Alas,
> no compliment was intended ...)

Perhapth they had a lithp?

regardth
--
Thteve Holden                                 http://www.holdenweb.com/
python Web Programming                 http://pydish.holdenweb.com/pwp/

Sat, 02 Jul 2005 01:07:47 GMT
 Seeking Minimal Python Project Name (was: [pypy-dev] Re: [ann] MinimalPython project)

Quote:

>> I immediately thought of the image of a snake biting its tail -- an
>> ancient
>> symbol of the cycle of life, recursion, etc.  The name for this symbol
>> appears to be variously:
>>  Uroboros  Ourobouros Ourobourus
>> Not sure which spelling is "canonical".  Not so easy to pronounce
>> though.

> I've seen so many spelling variations that I would think that in itself
> would disqualify it as a good choice of names.  In this day and age, it
> makes sense to choose names that can be easily found through search
> engines.  If it's inherently hard to spell right, it's not a good name.

Agreed, but on the other extreme, if it's too common, it will get buried in
unrelated fluff.

There's another snake-biting-tail in Norse mythology, called "Jormungard".
The caduceus was also suggested by a friend, but that has a tight-binding
to the medical profession.

Haven't found another really good one, though. Hmm. The only Monty Python
reference that comes to my mind is the Deja Vu sketch, but that's not so
great either, and it's also been taken (by a web service?).  You could also
go for other snake names, e.g.: Viper (or Vyper).

PyPy suggests "pipe" or "pippy" or Py^2 which leads to PySquared or pi^2,
which suggest pi*r^2 or the area of a circle (pi^2 itself occurs in some
integrals, though I can't think of any interesting ones). Or perhaps
Pythagoras.  Or maybe Pygmalion who created Galatea in Greek mythology,
another symbol of recursion.

Terry
--
Anansi Spaceworks
http://www.anansispaceworks.com

Sat, 02 Jul 2005 02:59:57 GMT

 [ 23 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages

1. Seeking Minimal Python Project Name

2. Seeking Minimal Python Project Name

3. [ann] Minimal Python project

4. pypy-dev List Summary - 01 Feb 2003 to 08 Feb 2003

5. pypy-dev List Summary - 09 Feb 2003 to 16 Feb 2003

6. Minimal Python project

7. Minimal Python project

8. gmane.comp.python.pypy

9. ann: Minimal PyPython sprint

10. ann: Minimal PyPython sprint

11. illegal seek when accessing /dev/pts/$N