Python v. Euphoria
Author Message
 Python v. Euphoria

Hi, All
Many, many years ago I did a lot of programming in HPL (Hewlet Packard
Language) then did lots using PICK basic. Now I want to start some
very low key programming again - just for my own amu{*filter*}t. Anyone
have any views on the pros and cons  of python v. Euphoria ? Which
would be the better option?
Regards and thanks,
Stom

Mon, 11 Oct 2004 13:23:31 GMT
 Python v. Euphoria

errrr - Hewlett, even

Quote:
>Stom

Mon, 11 Oct 2004 13:30:21 GMT
 Python v. Euphoria

Quote:

>Many, many years ago I did a lot of programming in HPL (Hewlet Packard
>Language) then did lots using PICK basic. Now I want to start some
>very low key programming again - just for my own amu{*filter*}t. Anyone
>have any views on the pros and cons  of Python v. Euphoria ? Which
>would be the better option?

Based on a quick look at the Euphoria web site, Python would be a much
better option.  Euphoria is a proprietary product that is only available
on a few platforms; it looks like Euphoria programs tend to not be
cross-platform even for the available platforms.  Euphoria also looks a
bit uglier than Python, and it lacks some of Python's features, such as
threads.
--

What if there were no rhetorical questions?

Mon, 11 Oct 2004 13:44:01 GMT
 Python v. Euphoria
Quote:

>>Many, many years ago I did a lot of programming in HPL (Hewlet Packard
>>Language) then did lots using PICK basic. Now I want to start some
>>very low key programming again - just for my own amu{*filter*}t. Anyone
>>have any views on the pros and cons  of Python v. Euphoria ? Which
>>would be the better option?

>Based on a quick look at the Euphoria web site, Python would be a much
>better option.  Euphoria is a proprietary product that is only available
>on a few platforms; it looks like Euphoria programs tend to not be
>cross-platform even for the available platforms.  Euphoria also looks a
>bit uglier than Python, and it lacks some of Python's features, such as
>threads.

                        .
                        .
                        .
I'd put the case stronger than that:  Python has
proven to be applicable over an exceptionally wide
scope of programming requirements, and Python has
a record of satisfying many beginners and near-
beginners in programming.
--

Business:   http://www.*-*-*.com/
Personal:   http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~claird/home.html

Tue, 12 Oct 2004 01:47:56 GMT
 Python v. Euphoria

Quote:

> Hi, All
> Many, many years ago I did a lot of programming in HPL (Hewlet Packard
> Language) then did lots using PICK basic. Now I want to start some
> very low key programming again - just for my own amu{*filter*}t. Anyone
> have any views on the pros and cons  of Python v. Euphoria ? Which
> would be the better option?

Stom,

Definitely Python, for all the reasons given by others, but also because
the native data structures which Python provides will seem very familiar
to anyone who has used PICK. In fact, if you nest some Python lists
inside
a Python dictionary and store all that in a ZODB (Zope Object DataBase),
you have a pretty good facsimile of the PICK filesystem, surrounded by a
much more powerful language than PICK Basic ever was, and even easier to
learn. In fact, you could write a class around the above to make it
behave
exactly like the PICK filesystem if you felt so inclined.

Tim C

Tue, 12 Oct 2004 04:46:02 GMT

1. Ruby vs. Python and Euphoria: sieve benc hmark

2. Ruby vs. Python and Euphoria: sieve benchmark

3. Euphoria Tape...Try it with a Lover!

4. Euphoria language

5. EUPHORIA PROGRAMMING LANGUAGE

6. Euphoria Programming Language

7. euphor13.zip - Euphoria programming language v1.3

8. euphoria... limitations/endorsements wanted

9. Euphoria user group

10. EUPHORIA 1.2b Info Wanted

11. euphor12.zip - Euphoria Programming Language v1.2

12. Python Install-Installed Python 2 on top of python 1.5