Opinion: Linux+Apache+Java+Servlets || Linux+Apache+Python
Author Message
 Opinion: Linux+Apache+Java+Servlets || Linux+Apache+Python

I would like an opinion from those that know...

I need to write an app under Linux/Apache to generate
Web pages and track user sessions post login (nothing new here).

Which is better, what are the issues and why, for:

        Java servlets (my concern is speed and memory bloat)

        python

Thanks, any help would be appreciated.

Russ

Sat, 03 Feb 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Opinion: Linux+Apache+Java+Servlets || Linux+Apache+Python

Quote:
>Which is better, what are the issues and why, for:

>    Java servlets (my concern is speed and memory bloat)

>    Python

Both! I'd like to have Python in active pages and servlets for bigger
jobs like database I/O. All inside a pure Java server, so you have full
integration between the two of them.

Servlet speed/bloat is not a big issue, IMO. Among others, I hack
around on SilverStream (www.silverstream.com), their application server
is almost pure Java (modulo some DB glue and encryption stuff), and
speed is very good. A Java server is still smaller than most client
apps these days...

--

Sun, 04 Feb 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Opinion: Linux+Apache+Java+Servlets || Linux+Apache+Python

Quote:
>I would like an opinion from those that know...

>I need to write an app under Linux/Apache to generate
>Web pages and track user sessions post login (nothing new here).

>Which is better, what are the issues and why, for:

>    Java servlets (my concern is speed and memory bloat)

>    Python

I do lots of pages in Python now and find it very nice.  I assume that
Java would work too but I just happen to like Python a lot better then
Java.  I have a few simple examples at http://www.vex.net/py_examples/
but I have done much more interesting stuff and it is quite simple.
I just wrote a shopping cart application that is quite simple but elegant
and took me less than a day to get written, debugged and polished.
I have an almost complete ISP billing system written in PostgreSQL,
Python and HTML using a web browser for it's user interface.

--

http://www.vex.net/darcy/                  |  and a sheep voting on
+1 416 425 1212     (DoD#0082)    (eNTP)   |  what's for dinner.

Sun, 04 Feb 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Opinion: Linux+Apache+Java+Servlets || Linux+Apache+Python

Quote:

> Which is better, what are the issues and why, for:

>         Java servlets (my concern is speed and memory bloat)

>         Python

I recommend taking a quick look at our Bobo system for publishing Python
object systems on the web:

  http://www.digicool.com/releases/bobo/

Bobo provides:

  o unique, clean object publishing model (URLs traverse an
    object system and pass messages to methods)

  o with PCGI, you get high performance without endangering the
    integrity of your web server

There is a community of over 70 developers participating in the
development of Bobo, so feel free to ask questions!

--Paul

Tue, 06 Feb 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Newbie + Linux + Apache + CGI + Python = Problem

2. PyApache-4.3, Python-1.5.1, Apache 1.3b6, and Linux

3. REXX and apache/linux cgi

4. Apache,MF OCDS and Linux: CGI Program crashes with ADIS RTS 192

5. help wanted: apache & mod_python application on Linux

6. php apache linux Problem............

7. php linux apache proble ???

8. JUpload equivalent for PHP/Apache/Linux

9. linux apache php 4.2.3 using mcrypt

10. Solved: Apache 2.0.43 and php 4.3.0-dev on Linux

11. ActiveX, php and apache on linux ?