tkinter best widget for file editting
Author Message
 tkinter best widget for file editting

Hi,

I am writing an application where I need to let the user see
and edit a relatively small amount of text.  It will likely
be less than an 80x24 screen.  The contents will be saved
in a file.  A "notepad" type of widget that pops up would
be ideal.  I don't seem to be finding anything in my search
but suspect it is because I am not using the right words.

Thanks in advance.

Joel Sherrill

Ask me about RTEMS: a free RTOS

Mon, 21 Jun 2004 07:14:02 GMT
 tkinter best widget for file editting

Dear Joel,

Quote:
>Hi,

Hi!

Quote:
>I am writing an application where I need to let the user see and edit
>a relatively small amount of text.  It will likely be less than an
>80x24 screen.  The contents will be saved in a file.  A "notepad"
>type of widget that pops up would be ideal.  I don't seem to be
>finding anything in my search but suspect it is because I am not
>using the right words.

The Text widget might be good. There's also the standard ScrolledText
widget (which is in its own module) and Pmw's flavor. If you haven't
yet run across it, Fredrik Lundh's excellent An Introduction to
Tkinter is very useful. It's at:

http://www.pythonware.com/library/tkinter/introduction/index.htm

I've long since save a copy locally to save Fredrik the bandwidth. And
Pmw is at:

http://pmw.sourceforge.net/

Regards,
Matt

Mon, 21 Jun 2004 11:04:09 GMT

1. Looking for better Tkinter's listbox widget

2. another tkinter widget request: an athena stripchart widget.

3. Is there a good file selection widget?

4. List Box editting problem

5. WkDataAwareTablePart problem with buttonText editting

6. Oberon editting

7. time editting

8. Extensions/tkinter/* vs Modules/tkinter* (was: Python 1.1 w/ tkinter for AIX)

9. Tree widget for Tkinter

10. Tracking validity in tkinter widget

11. Tkinter: scrolling the canvas items AND widgets

12. Tkinter, resizing, and widget clipping