Idle 7.1 socket problem
Author Message
 Idle 7.1 socket problem

Hi all,

I have installed python 2.0, and just downloaded the
idlefork-0.7.1.tar.gz. I unpacked it into my
/usr/lib/python2.0/site-packages directory, and tried to start idle.py.

The message I get is:

"Something already has our socket, but it won't open a window for me!
Unable to proceed."

I see that the problem occurs in PyShell after a failed call to
protocol.py.

Has anyone else had this problem? The older Idle works fine.

I am running Redhat 6.2 Linux.

TIA,

Glenn

--
Glenn R. Williams
Director, Special Projects

Wed, 21 May 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Idle 7.1 socket problem
After trying to load IDLE from the interactive prompt, the problem seems to
be in 'protocol.py' when it tries to open a socket.  To understand why, we
will need to consult the new IDLE Gods.  IMHO, not having this turned off
by default turns IDLE from a usefull tool into a useless one (the last
thing I need is one more command-line argument to spedify).

That's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Jon Polley

Quote:

> Hi all,

> I have installed Python 2.0, and just downloaded the
> idlefork-0.7.1.tar.gz. I unpacked it into my
> /usr/lib/python2.0/site-packages directory, and tried to start idle.py.

> The message I get is:

> "Something already has our socket, but it won't open a window for me!
> Unable to proceed."

> I see that the problem occurs in PyShell after a failed call to
> protocol.py.

> Has anyone else had this problem? The older Idle works fine.

> I am running Redhat 6.2 Linux.

> TIA,

> Glenn

> --
> Glenn R. Williams
> Director, Special Projects
> RSG Systems, Inc.

Thu, 22 May 2003 09:44:14 GMT

1. Problem with Menu in VW 7.1

2. ifc 7.1 on SuSE 8.2 64bits linking problem.

3. python2.1 install problem on redhat 7.1

4. Problem Building Python2.1 on RedHat 7.1

5. Mixed-Language PROBLEMS - MS FORTRAN 5.00/Watcom 10.6 and PDS 7.1

6. Problem: readline in Python 2.1 on SuSE 7.1

7. Problem with Lahey-Fortran 7.1

8. problem with itcl2.2 on linux (rehat 7.1)

9. Freezing problem with shared libraries in python2.0 under RedHatLinux 7.1

10. Problem installing Python2.1 on RH 7.1

11. ORATCL2.2 and Oracle 7.1 - known problems ?

12. Devoloping socket applications with IDLE