Has anybody made a Tkinter text widget into a terminal emulator?
Author Message
 Has anybody made a Tkinter text widget into a terminal emulator?

Anybody who really needs to type in a lot of text would prefer to use
whatever editor they normally use over a Tkinter text widget.  A
google search on 'Tkinter Terminal Emulator'matches every wretched
SuSE, debian, Red Hat, and NetBSD mirror on the planet, since they all
provide Tkinter, and some sort of terminal emulation packages.  After
crudely excluding sites which mentioned such words, I didn't find
anything interesting.

This has got to be an old problem.  But it seems that most people who
were faced with the problem of doing a lot of text entry in a Tkinter
based GUI decided to build their own editor into their GUI, rather
than building something you could run an existing editor in.  This is
not my idea of fun, and, moreover, will not fix my particular problem
(`What do you _mean_ I can't use EMACS?!).

What have other people done?

Laura

Thu, 06 Nov 2003 00:21:18 GMT

1. using Tkinter text widget as terminal emulator?

2. Making text in Tkinter's Message widget selectable

3. Locating terminal emulator widget

4. Terminal Emulator Widget?

5. Capturing Text And Display Attributes From Terminal Emulator

6. Tkinter text-widget, getting the text

7. Tkinter code for formatted text in Text widget?

8. Some questions on elided text in the text widget (and a few other text widget questions)

9. Making a hyperlink in a text widget

10. making a text widget uneditable???

11. Text Widget: How can on see if changes have been made

12. Alternative methods of making read-only regions in a text widget