Réf. : Re: Why not Tcl/Tk?
Author Message
 Réf. : Re: Why not Tcl/Tk?

Hello,

I've had the same issues as Alexander's and finally choose python after reading
some studies about languages comparisons. A list of links is available at
http://www.*-*-*.com/

Hope this helps.

---
Patrick Bussi

Any opinions expressed are my own and not necessarily those of my Company.

cc :   (ccc : Patrick Bussi/ALCATEL-SPACE)
Objet :   Re: Why not Tcl/Tk?

Quote:

>Here are some very general newbie questions and a plea for your opinion.

>Having some outdated hobby hacking experience (TurboPascal, Modula2,
>DBase) on AtariST and PC, and some recent experience with a 70k perl cgi

>that I actually don't want to use neither C, C++ or Java (overkill) nor
>perl (see above). I confess having used the try and error method of
>learning, therefore my autodidactic abilities stopped every time dynamic
>arrays were needed :).
>I don't want neither spend much time in learning the language nor
>writing professional strength applications but I rather look for a
>replacement of very easy languages as e.g. pascal/basic.

>I'm interested in your opinions concerning the following points:

>-How would you describe the major strengths and flaws of Tcl vs. Python?

Tcl
 Flaws:
     Only one data type: string
     Incomprehensible quoting semantics
     Roll-your-own control flow
     No OO support
 Strengths:
     Tk integration
     Lots of code out there
     Roll-your-own control flow

Python:
 Flaws:
     No roll-your-own control flow
     Lots of GUI options
 Strengths:
     No roll-your-own control flow
     Good OO support
     Lots of GUI options
     Simple syntax and semantics
     Library modules

Quote:
>-Why do you prefer the one you use over the other?

I gave up on Tcl after one program and switch to Scheme.  Now I
use Python a lot more than Scheme.

[I don't know much about eithr on Win32, so I'll let others
answer those questions.]

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  As President I
                                  at               have to go vacuum my coin

Mon, 15 Sep 2003 18:06:52 GMT

1. why TCL and why not TCL with JAVA

2. Why not Tcl/Tk?

3. comparative tk syntaxes (was Re: Why you should not use Tcl)

4. Why not stick with Tcl/Tk source?

5. tcl/tk man pages use .HS, not .TH for title, so man -k does not work

6. how to access prolog from tcl?(not using tcl/tk interface from prolog)

7. Why not make Tk a loadable extension?

8. Why does tk not use Xt?

9. Historical question - Why Tk not Xt based?

10. extensibility (was: Why you should not use Tcl)

11. Why you should not use Tcl

12. Why you should not use Tcl