Newbie has a few questions
Author Message
 Newbie has a few questions

Hi,

Let me start off by saying - nice language!! Good , clean syntax.
I'm sufficiently impressed to pursue more knowledge and understanding.
Here are some of my questions -

1. I assume dbm or gdbm is not available on NT3.5 . How is the module
shelve implemented on NT ? or is it only UNIX specific as it uses dbm ?

2. What would be the best place to learn more about the Win 32 and
win32 gui interface to python on NT3.5 ? The documentation says it has
an interface to the MFC. Does that mean , that I could you use the
MFC classes ? Are there more examples of using win32,win32ui and MFC
on Python ?

Hiren

Wed, 03 Dec 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 Newbie has a few questions

Quote:
>1. I assume dbm or gdbm is not available on NT3.5 . How is the module
>shelve implemented on NT ? or is it only UNIX specific as it uses dbm ?

I personally havent tried using either of these.  dbm doenst exist for nt.

"You can use pickle directoy on regular files if all you want to do is
store a single object (which may be a Python dictionary of objects...
hint, hint).  There's also a bit of code, inapproopriately named
"macdbm", which fakes the interface for dbm using regular files."

Quote:
>2. What would be the best place to learn more about the Win 32 and
>win32 gui interface to Python on NT3.5 ? The documentation says it has
>an interface to the MFC. Does that mean , that I could you use the
>MFC classes ? Are there more examples of using win32,win32ui and MFC
>on Python ?

I have promised to create more documentation for this, and should soon be in

a position to.  The best place is both the sources (win32gui_src.tar.gz) and

the .py files themselves.

In general, the MFC class hierarchy has been duplicated with Python objeect,

defined in module win32ui.  Each object has many of the same methods defined

as MFC, with much the same arguments.  General exceptions to these rules
are:
* functions returning BOOL in MFC return None and raise exceptions in
Python.
* structures are tuples, with any "sizeof(struct)" members omitted.
* In general, a window _object_ is created by
"ob=win32ui.Create[Dialog|Frame|etc]", and the window itself created by
"ob.CreateWindow()".  The Create...() function argument differ in various
ways from MFC.

 ------- End of Forwarded Message

Sat, 06 Dec 1997 03:00:00 GMT

1. A few more newbie questions..

2. Few newbie syntax questions

3. A few newbie questions...

4. a few newbie questions...

5. newbie....a few questions

6. Please asm newbie with few questions

7. Newbie here, a few questions

8. A few newbie questions

9. A few more newbie questions

10. A few newbie questions

11. Having a small prob. (newbie question) (1)

12. Having a small prob. (newbie question)