Win32 Open Source or free .NET integration?
Author Message
 Win32 Open Source or free .NET integration?

I haven't used .NET myself yet but another programmer
using it raves about the back end integration among
the languages.  Also I noticed ActiveState is doing
a Visual python that's supposed to integrate fully
into .NET.  I know there are some open source project
for .NET for Linux/unix but I was wondering if anyone
has heard of a free Win32 implementation in the works?

It would be way cool to plug Python into this system
from what I'm hearing(but $295 I don't have.) :)

Sat, 02 Oct 2004 08:02:57 GMT
 Win32 Open Source or free .NET integration?

Quote:
>I haven't used .NET myself yet but another programmer
>using it raves about the back end integration among
>the languages.  Also I noticed ActiveState is doing
>a Visual Python that's supposed to integrate fully
>into .NET.  I know there are some open source project
>for .NET for Linux/unix but I was wondering if anyone
>has heard of a free Win32 implementation in the works?

The *nix versions (Mono's the only one I know about, but I think I recall
hearing of at least one other targetting BSD) will probably work under cygwin,
and might even be portable to Windows native.  Probably better to wait until
they're close to being stable, or at least a fair ways along, to avoid
duplicating a lot of work.

Also, if anyone implements a clone of the .NET basic libraries, they should
be usable on the original .NET VM, no?  And the VM is probably the easiest
part due to the volume of the libraries.  So if there's another free VM
with core libraries, it shouldn't be too hard to get a completely free
version for Windows.  (Unless the libraries use a lot of native code, which
is possible.  I don't even know how/if .NET allows calls outside the VM.)

Joe

Sat, 02 Oct 2004 09:27:04 GMT
 Win32 Open Source or free .NET integration?

Quote:

> I haven't used .NET myself yet but another programmer
> using it raves about the back end integration among
> the languages.  Also I noticed ActiveState is doing
> a Visual Python that's supposed to integrate fully
> into .NET.

That actually seems reasonably unlikely at this point.  The "Visual
Python" project at ActiveState is to tie into Visual Studio for .NET
(e.g., the IDE) and not tying Python itself into the CLR (Common
Language Runtime) of .NET.

There was a Python.NET project (more of an investigation really) also
back a while at ActiveState - they may still have Mark Hammond's white
paper available on their site.  It achieved some interoperability, but
was a decent amoutn away from a full integration into .NET and some of
the results of the experimentation were not that promising in terms of
performance or good fit of the CLR versus some of Python's dynamic
model.

Quote:
>             I know there are some open source project
> for .NET for Linux/unix but I was wondering if anyone
> has heard of a free Win32 implementation in the works?

Depends on what you mean by "Win32 implementation", or just what an
"open source project for .NET" is meant to mean?  The term .NET is
wroth with over-use and ambiguity (probably the way Microsoft likes
it).

If you mean the fundamentals - the .NET framework (the CLR along with
the command line C# compiler and associated documentation) is freely
available from Microsoft to download for Windows.  That's roughly
equivalent to what they are providing as the ECMA:

    http://www.*-*-*.com/

--
-- David

  |             FitLinxx, Inc.            \  Phone: (203) 708-5192    |
 /  860 C{*filter*}Street, Stamford, CT  06902   \  Fax: (203) 316-5150     \

Sat, 02 Oct 2004 10:52:59 GMT
 Win32 Open Source or free .NET integration?

Quote:
>That actually seems reasonably unlikely at this point.  The "Visual
>Python" project at ActiveState is to tie into Visual Studio for .NET
>(e.g., the IDE) and not tying Python itself into the CLR (Common
>Language Runtime) of .NET.

That's a bummer.  Reading the stuff on their site
"full integration" leads one to believe if you plug
Visual Python in it's plugged in just as good as
C# and that's obviously not the case.  The CLR
part is what I'm interested in.  Right now I play
around with COM stuff on Windows to mix and
match components from various languages
and if this CLR in a sandbox became cross
platform and esp. if it was free it could be
really cool.

From what I've seen you're freed up from
all those COM low-level headaches for
the most part.

Mike

--

"Only choice is an oxymoron."

--

Sun, 03 Oct 2004 03:50:51 GMT
 Win32 Open Source or free .NET integration?

Quote:

> >That actually seems reasonably unlikely at this point.  The "Visual
> >Python" project at ActiveState is to tie into Visual Studio for .NET
> >(e.g., the IDE) and not tying Python itself into the CLR (Common
> >Language Runtime) of .NET.

> That's a bummer.  Reading the stuff on their site
> "full integration" leads one to believe if you plug
> Visual Python in it's plugged in just as good as
> C# and that's obviously not the case.

No, that *is* the case, you're just not reading the whole site.
It's integrated into Visual Studio, *not* into the .NET
framework.  The confusion results from the fact that Microsoft
has decided to call the new version of VS by their latest
buzzword -- Visual Studio .NET -- when it is not directly tied to
the framework or the CLR at all.  They're two entirely separate
issues, although MS would probably be happy to have you never
realize that.  (Admittedly, the ActiveState site didn't seem to
explicitly point out the difference, last time I looked, but
their meaning *is* clear if you know the difference -- it's MS's
confusion, not ActiveState's.)

But Visual Python integrates Python into the Visual Studio IDE as
well as C# is integrated into VS.

--

Jeff Shannon
Technician/Programmer

Tue, 05 Oct 2004 03:05:01 GMT

1. Best Open Source Blogging Tools for Writers? And Free Open Source Blogs @ 22blog.net.

2. Open source Component Pascal compiler for JVM and .NET

3. Open source version of .NET

4. Win32 extensions using the .NET SDK and the Win32 Platform SDK

5. Open Source/Free Smalltalk Implementations?

6. Open Source Code or Free code

7. COBOL Open Source (Free) Compiler

8. Free/Open source lisps for Windows.

9. Free Hosting for Open Source projects

10. elj-win32: A FREE/NO-RISK win32 SmallEiffel Distribution

11. LISP integration with Java/.NET?