TROJAN ALERT! (JS/Loop)
Author Message
 TROJAN ALERT! (JS/Loop)

I would have characterised this attack as a GUI denial-of-service, not a
Trojan horse. A Trojan horse is an exploit which collects information from
an unsuspecting user and stores or transmits it for use by the third party.
Such misinformation does not lend credibility. The code involved was a
simple infinite alert loop.

Other newsgroups I do not read were removed from this posting.

Sheesh, now we're getting *bots* posting to c.l.py [sorry, Tim <wink>].

regards
 Steve
--
http://www.*-*-*.com/

Quote:
> WARNING! A trojan has been found in an article posted to
> the following newsgroup(s):
>  comp.lang.javascript, alt.config, comp.lang.perl.misc, comp.lang.python,
>  comp.os.linux.misc

> Message header follows:

> >Subject: YOU ARE ALL GAY!
> >Date: 09 Oct 2001 15:11:40 GMT

> Dr Solomon's FindVirus/VirusScan report follows:

>  Dr Solomon's FindVirus IN-HOUSE version. Copyright (c) 1999 Network
Associates Inc.
>  Virus data file v9999 created Oct 08 2001
>  Scanning for 58978 viruses, trojans and variants.

>  [HTML part] ... Found the JS/Loop trojan !!!

> You can download a free evaluation (yet fully functional) copy of
> the latest released version of Dr Solomon's FindVirus/VirusScan from
> the following locations:

>  WWW: http://www.*-*-*.com/
>  CompuServe: GO DRSOLOMON or GO MCAFEE
>  AOL: SAFETYONLINE

> IMPORTANT! The trojan has been detected by the latest IN-HOUSE version of
> Dr Solomon's FindVirus/VirusScan. As new viruses and trojans appear at the
rate
> of several hundreds a month, the latest RELEASED version of
FindVirus/VirusScan
> might be unable to detect this particular trojan. If you have downloaded
the above
> file and your copy of FindVirus/VirusScan does not detect the trojan in
it,
> contact Network Associates Technical support and ask for the extra driver
> to detect the JS/Loop trojan.

> --

> WWW: http://www.*-*-*.com/                  UK Tel: +44 (0) 1296 318700
> CompuServe: GO DRSOLOMON                          USA Tel: +1 408 988-3832

Sun, 28 Mar 2004 02:59:17 GMT
 TROJAN ALERT! (JS/Loop)

Quote:
> I would have characterised this attack as a GUI denial-of-service, not a
> Trojan horse. A Trojan horse is an exploit which collects information from
> an unsuspecting user and stores or transmits it for use by the third party.
> Such misinformation does not lend credibility. The code involved was a
> simple infinite alert loop.

Actually, a trojan horse is simply a hostile program that masquarades as a
useful one (hence the name).  It doesn't really matter what the function of
the program is.

--
Cliff Wells
Software Engineer

Sun, 28 Mar 2004 03:31:05 GMT
 TROJAN ALERT! (JS/Loop)

Quote:
> WARNING! A trojan has been found in an article posted to
> >Subject: YOU ARE ALL GAY!

Well, I suppose if we're all gay, it would be good to have a Trojan (tm).

--
Cliff Wells
Software Engineer
Logiplex Corporation (www.logiplex.net)
(503) 978-6726 x308
(800) 735-0555 x308

Sun, 28 Mar 2004 02:55:48 GMT
 TROJAN ALERT! (JS/Loop)

Quote:

> > I would have characterised this attack as a GUI denial-of-service, not a
> > Trojan horse. A Trojan horse is an exploit which collects information
from
> > an unsuspecting user and stores or transmits it for use by the third
party.
> > Such misinformation does not lend credibility. The code involved was a
> > simple infinite alert loop.

> Actually, a trojan horse is simply a hostile program that masquarades as a
> useful one (hence the name).  It doesn't really matter what the function
of
> the program is.

Oh.  Like Windows?

- Ken

Sun, 28 Mar 2004 09:07:23 GMT
 TROJAN ALERT! (JS/Loop)

Quote:
> Oh.  Like Windows?

I didn't want to mention any names ;-)

--
Cliff Wells
Software Engineer
Logiplex Corporation (www.logiplex.net)
(503) 978-6726 x308
(800) 735-0555 x308

Mon, 29 Mar 2004 00:41:35 GMT

1. TROJAN ALERT! (JS/Loop)

2. JS Exploit Exception - Trojan Horse

3. JS.trojan.seeker-based ???

4. PSS Security Alert - JS/Exploit-Messenger

5. Premier - Product Support Services - Moderate Security Alert - Virus: Gigger/JS.Gigger.A@mm

6. Antigen found JS.Loop (CA(Vet)) virus

7. JS-EAI with *JS*-callback

8. js.exception 3279.js

9. ALERT: possible infinite loop using Tcl sockets on Windows 95, NT

10. Product Support Services - Moderate Security Alert - Virus Alert: Klez-E

11. NB. gray.js: a J verb that generates a grayscale postscript image from a 2d array

12. lapackTest.js