Obj Exchange btwn programs/network?
Author Message
 Obj Exchange btwn programs/network?

Hello,

  I am trying to set up a simple object exchange between two python
programs w/in same Sparc machine & may be even across network without
using something complicated as ILU. I have a program that will
accumulate data via eventloop. Another program that will be launched
later will ask for some data to this program. I think I will need ILU
for this to get across network, but I also believe I seen some simple
Python program that either let you share memory space with another
program or request objects from an already running program. It was
supposed to flatten out objects and send it around. I thought I
downloaded this short & sweet program, but cannot locate it for some
reason.
  Oh, does ILU work between Python Win and Solaris? Let me know if
anyone has tried this.
  Any help is much appreciated,

  * Expressed opinions are often my own, but NOT my employer's.
"I feel like a fugitive from the law of averages."    Maudin
"Miracle(n)- An instance of few standard deviations," Me

Sat, 22 Apr 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Obj Exchange btwn programs/network?

Quote:

> Hello,

>   I am trying to set up a simple object exchange between two Python
> programs w/in same Sparc machine & may be even across network without
> using something complicated as ILU.

The simplest solution I know of is the RemoteCall package.  Simple and
effective.

http://www.python.org/ftp/python/contrib/All/remotecall.README

http://www.python.org/ftp/python/contrib/All/remotecall.tar.gz

--david

Sun, 23 Apr 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Obj Exchange btwn programs/network?

Quote:

> >   I am trying to set up a simple object exchange between two Python
> > programs w/in same Sparc machine & may be even across network without
> > using something complicated as ILU.

> The simplest solution I know of is the RemoteCall package.  Simple and
> effective.

> http://www.python.org/ftp/python/contrib/All/remotecall.README

> http://www.python.org/ftp/python/contrib/All/remotecall.tar.gz

... Or take the dive, and get acquainted with sockets and struct/
pickle.  Pickle's sophistication would be necessary for complex objects,
but for elementary objects struct can be simple and sufficient.
(Particularly as of Python 1.5, where you can force the endianess of
struct encoded bytes, using '>'/'<' format directives, avoiding problems
talking between eg sparc and x86 hosts...)

            (orporation for National Research |nitiatives

        # If you appreciate Python, consider joining the PSA! #
                  # <http://www.python.org/psa/>. #

Sun, 23 Apr 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Obj Exchange btwn programs/network?

Excerpts from ext.python: 5-Nov-97 Re: Obj Exchange btwn progr.. Ken

Quote:
> ... Or take the dive, and get acquainted with sockets and struct/
> pickle.  Pickle's sophistication would be necessary for complex objects,

Oh, please!  This is what ILU was supposed to obviate...

Chris Jacobi has done a nice send-any-Java-object hack using ILU custom
records for Java; I suppose I should repeat it for Python...

Bill

Mon, 24 Apr 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Obj Exchange btwn programs/network?

hola.

Quote:
Bill Janssen writes:

 > Excerpts from ext.python: 5-Nov-97 Re: Obj Exchange btwn progr.. Ken

 > > ... Or take the dive, and get acquainted with sockets and struct/
 > > pickle.  Pickle's sophistication would be necessary for complex objects,
 >
 > Oh, please!  This is what ILU was supposed to obviate...

So, if I wanted to send a Python object over a socket to another Python
program you would recommend using ILU?  Does it add extra complexity
which may not be worth it when the same language is used on both ends?

I certainly reach for Pickle (or cPickle) whenever I have to do
something like this.

I haven't yet tried ILU, so go easy on me.  :)

.   happy daze            .   Age and treachery will beat           .
.        -tim O           .       youth and skill every time.       .

Mon, 24 Apr 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. exchanging data btwn Python and lesser languages

2. relation btwn Smalltalk and Extreme Programming ?

3. classes avail for dist network obj's?

4. exchange data with a PC program

5. CLARION is unresolved in file d:\cw55\obj\skifer.obj

6. Unresolved External ds_FILEOPEN in abfile.obj, aberror.obj

7. CLIPMXS1.OBJ & CLIPXMS2.OBJ

8. Clipxms1.obj Clipxms2.obj

9. Blxshftr.obj & Blxshftp.obj

10. Problem with 16 bit OBJ - VOLUME.OBJ (0/1)

11. Write for System 3 (was: Exchanging programs)

12. Exchanging programs