Declaring an array of a specific size?
Author Message
 Declaring an array of a specific size?

I need an integer array with 24 elements and I'm at a loss finding out
how to do this elegantly.

    array.array("i", [0, ...., 0])

just can't be it. But what's the right way?

Michael

--
Michael Schuerig

http://www.*-*-*.com/

Thu, 05 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Declaring an array of a specific size?

Quote:
> I need an integer array with 24 elements and I'm at a loss finding out
> how to do this elegantly.

Would

array.array("i", 24 * [0])

do the trick?

Also, in the Numeric package, there is something that might help:

Quote:
>>> from Numeric import zeros
>>> zeros (24, 'i')

array([0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0],'i')

Alex.

Thu, 05 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Declaring an array of a specific size?

Quote:

> > I need an integer array with 24 elements and I'm at a loss finding out
> > how to do this elegantly.

> Would

> array.array("i", 24 * [0])

> do the trick?

> Also, in the Numeric package, there is something that might help:

> 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0],'i') >>>

Yes, that does it. Thanks! But, I'm wondering, how would a newbie such
as I am, have found this?

Michael

--
Michael Schuerig

http://www.schuerig.de/michael/

Fri, 06 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Declaring an array of a specific size?

Quote:
> how would a newbie such as I am, have found this?

Well, you could read the documentation at python.org.  There is rather a
lot of it, though.  The documentation for the Numeric package is at
numpy.sourceforge.net.  I don't think I ever read about the '24 * [0]'
thing, I just tried it on the command line at one point, because it
seemed natural.

I'm something of a newbie myself.

Alex.

Fri, 06 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Declaring an array of a specific size?

Quote:

> > how would a newbie such as I am, have found this?

> Well, you could read the documentation at python.org.  There is rather a
> lot of it, though.

Actually, I have the docs installed on my system. But they didn't help
me with this specific question. I looked into the description of array
and searched the indexes for something that might be appropriate, but
found nothing useful.

Quote:
> The documentation for the Numeric package is at
> numpy.sourceforge.net.

Now(!) that I know that it exists, I found the docs included in the
python-numeric Debian package...

I must admit that I didn't invest any substantial time into Python, so
far. I was trying to do something in Perl, a language I've been using
for almost 10 years, but unfortunately only 3 times each year. This time
it was just killing me and thus I decided to go for python to keep my
sanity.

Michael

--
Michael Schuerig

http://www.schuerig.de/michael/

Sat, 07 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Help: declare an array without knowing the rank and size

2. SIZE of an array declared as (*)

3. declare array with size read from file

4. Array scan in type declared array

5. Declaring array of character arrays

6. Size(ASSUMED Size ARRAY)

7. Ptr size for Declares

8. Declare list of large size

9. size of declared type?

10. Array Selection Start / Array Selection Size

11. Numerical Python array math with different sized arrays

12. Variable Size arrays Was: Indeterminate arrays??