Editors with Python or Active Scripting capability?
Author Message
 Editors with Python or Active Scripting capability?

I've become rather intent on *not* using languages other than python
extreme in cases of extreme need.  This stems directly from the fact
that it works in so many different areas, and vastly increases our
productivity.

[Embedded stuff (at least on 16-bit micros with 1K of RAM) qualifies as
extreme need, as does working with legacy code written in less desirable
languages, but most of our work suits Python well.]

Writing scripts for a text editor, however, does not qualify as an area
where I'm willing to waste time learning or using a language which some
shortsighted company or programmer decided *I* should learn just to use
its/his/her product.

Unfortunately, it seems my choices are fairly limited.  I'm frankly
surprised by this, given that (no death threats, please!) I do most of
my development on (not for!) Windows 98 boxes, where Microsoft has done
at least one thing right in the last decade in opening up scripting to
non-Microsoft languages via the Active Scripting Host API.  In spite of
that, the list of text editors supporting Python scripting seems fairly
pathetic.  So far as I can tell, I'm limited to something called Zeus
(which reduced my computer speed to about 23 Hz while running my
script), VIM (modes? just say "no"!), and CRedit (which is the only
editor I've seen claiming ASH support) which unfortunately says that out
of all the possible Active Scripting languages, for some reason Python
is the only one which doesn't work!

    http://www.*-*-*.com/
    http://www.*-*-*.com/
    http://www.*-*-*.com/

My question is, does anybody know of a decent text editor which uses
Python, either "natively" or via Active Scripting, as a scripting/macro
language?

Thank you for any suggestions you have.
Peter Hansen

Thu, 20 Feb 2003 09:17:17 GMT
 Editors with Python or Active Scripting capability?

Quote:
> My question is, does anybody know of a decent text editor which uses
> Python, either "natively" or via Active Scripting, as a scripting/macro
> language?

   PythonWin is mostly written in Python and can be extended in Python.

   Beta of new version at:
http://www.activestate.com/Products/ActivePython/Download.html
   Older versions at:
http://starship.python.net/crew/mhammond/

   Neil

Thu, 20 Feb 2003 09:31:51 GMT

1. Python Active Scripting problem

2. Python / Active Scripting - Value Assignment - HELP

3. Rexx, Windows Scripting, and Active Server Pages Scripting.

4. Editor using Python / Editor written in Python

5. Screen editor/generator with menu capability?

6. searching an Image Editor with Filter Graph capabilities

7. Smalltalk Script for Active Server Pages?

8. Call For Suggestions: Active Forms Scripting Language

9. Call For Suggestions: Active Forms Scripting Language

10. Tcl Active Script Engine

11. activating the TCL interpreter in active mode from a TCL script

12. Call For Suggestions: Active Forms Scripting Language