Rtaudio: Wrappers for ALSA and real-time audio processing
Author Message
 Rtaudio: Wrappers for ALSA and real-time audio processing

I have released version 0.01 of my Rtaudio module for
Python/Linux/ALSA. It provides the following:

* Wrappers for the ALSA (Advanced Linux Sound Architecture) drivers,
  which enable a very easy sound I/O for many sound cards (playback,
  capture, and duplex I/O). Audio samples are transferred using the
  array class from the Numerical Module.

* Wrappers for the mlockall() and sched_set_scheduler() system calls,
  which enable real-time scheduling on Linux and POSIX.4 conformant
  systems.

* Some C routines which provide duplex filtering with a finite
  response filter and latencies in the range of 1 to 2 milliseconds.
  (To warrant such low latencies without dropouts, kernel patches are
  currently necessary). The filtering runs in a own C thread, and it
  is possible to read samples and change filter coefficients while
  filtering in the background.

* Some examples, including playing tone sweeps, a Shepard-like tone
  complex, and duplex I/O.

o Support for 24-bit sound cards is planned.

Download (and some thoughts and observations about algorithm
development and real-time audio processing with Python/Linux) at
http://www.*-*-*.com/

It is probably still very buggy... I'm just beginning to understand
how extending python works.

Many thanks for the amount of help I received.

Johannes

Mon, 19 May 2003 03:00:00 GMT

1. Rtaudio: Wrappers for ALSA and real-time audio processing

2. Rtaudio: Sound I/O and real-time audio processing

3. Rtaudio: Sound I/O and real-time audio processing

4. planning ALSA PCM audio interface

5. "real time" audio code

6. Time to REAL & REAL to time

7. REAL TIME TRANSACTION PROCESSING PROGRAMMER

8. REAL TIME processing

9. REAL TIME TRANSACTION PROCESSING PROGRAMMER

10. REAL TIME TRANSACTION PROCESSING PROGRAMMER

11. Audio Editing and Real Basic

12. Kids Need Hands-On Tech on Real Audio