110 baud modems
Author Message
 110 baud modems

I am not quite sure if what we had was technically a modem or not.  We made
them ourselves and got something like 120 baud out of them actually.  We
thought they were quite the item.  But I can't remember what design we
used -- the one that was the modem or the one that at least one physics
professor said was technically not a modem (but install one in my office
too _PLEASE_)  In those days I was just discovering which end of the
soldering iron is the hot one, so I can't remember any better than this.
When I next see Rob Pike, going to Lucent in a few weeks, I will ask him
what we did if you really care.

Laura Creighton

Mon, 17 Nov 2003 00:49:38 GMT
 110 baud modems

 >  I am not quite sure if what we had was technically a modem or not.  We made
 >  them ourselves and got something like 120 baud out of them actually.  We
 >  thought they were quite the item.  But I can't remember what design we
 >  used -- the one that was the modem or the one that at least one physics
 >  professor said was technically not a modem (but install one in my office
 >  too _PLEASE_)  In those days I was just discovering which end of the
 >  soldering iron is the hot one, so I can't remember any better than this.
 >  When I next see Rob Pike, going to Lucent in a few weeks, I will ask him
 >  what we did if you really care.

Please do. I give a course in basic telecommunication for undergrad
students, and we do cover modems to some extent. It would certainly be
interresting to have a historical perspective.

greetings
/Mikael

WWW:     http://www.dtr.isy.liu.se/dtr/staff/mikael
Phone:   +46 - (0)13 - 28 1343
Telefax: +46 - (0)13 - 28 1339
Date:    31-May-2001
Time:    11:47:34

         /"\
         \ /     ASCII Ribbon Campaign
          X      Against HTML Mail
         / \

This message was sent by XF-Mail.

Mon, 17 Nov 2003 17:52:47 GMT

1. SMF 110 recs (CICS stats)

2. 110 Smalltalk Consultants and Developers

3. 110 products listed in the ClarionMag third party directory

4. Error 110 prevents installation on win2k

5. Failed to initialize installer error: 110

6. SML/NJ 110.0.7 patch release available

7. ANNOUNCEMENT - SML/NJ 110.0.6

8. SML/NJ Version 110 released

9. SML/NJ Version 110 released

10. Streams and OS/2 Reason code 110

11. performance of set_keyValue 110 ms (in java applet)