Linux compile Q's Python 2.1
Author Message
 Linux compile Q's Python 2.1

Sorry to bother you guys so soon after my last post, but.......

being unable to properly install from srpm, figured to just
compile/install from source- did it a year or so ago for 1.5, shouldn't be
a big whoop. Bzzzt.

./configure- ok

made a few changes in Modules/Setup, "make", "make test":

17 tests skipped: test_al test_bsddb test_cd test_cl test_dbm test_dl
test_gl test_imgfile test_largefile test_minidom test_nis test_pyexpat
test_sax test_sunaudiodev test_sundry test_winreg test_winsound

doesn't look tragic, seems like I had more skipped tests last time, but
you guys be final arbiters.... "make altinstall libinstall"- well I'm a
bit afraid latest Py will break something the system might need WRT Py
1.5.2, but only error of note (to my untrained eye) seems reasonable:
I'll have to manually update sys.path. So now I'm looking at creating a
script to start my shiny new IDLE (.08?)- but it *didn't* get installed-
the sources are in my install directory, but nada in
python2.1/site-packages (or anwhere else in /usr/local). What did I
miss?? So:

make: *** No rule to make target `uninstall'.  Stop.

how rude  :-( !  I really wanted to start fresh, partly 'cause I didn't
realize that some/most/all of my mods to Setup are handled automagically
by setup.py. Running Mandrake 7.2, gcc-2.95.2-12mdk, installing from
Python-2.1.tgz from Pythonlabs. tcl/tk seemed to install fine. Clues?
Please? (I've surely left out the imp't stuff, but if I knew what it was,
probably wouldn't need to come a beggin' :-> ). PS- I don't have a
PYTHONHOME set (noticed it was a prob. for others).

TIA, y'all (yep, we _really_do_say_that_).....

Thu, 27 Nov 2003 11:41:49 GMT
 Linux compile Q's Python 2.1

Quote:

> Sorry to bother you guys so soon after my last post, but.......

> being unable to properly install from srpm, figured to just
> compile/install from source- did it a year or so ago for 1.5, shouldn't
> be a big whoop. Bzzzt.

> ./configure- ok

> made a few changes in Modules/Setup, "make", "make test":

> 17 tests skipped: test_al test_bsddb test_cd test_cl test_dbm test_dl
> test_gl test_imgfile test_largefile test_minidom test_nis test_pyexpat
> test_sax test_sunaudiodev test_sundry test_winreg test_winsound

> doesn't look tragic, seems like I had more skipped tests last time, but
> you guys be final arbiters.... "make altinstall libinstall"- well I'm a
> bit afraid latest Py will break something the system might need WRT Py
> 1.5.2, but only error of note (to my untrained eye) seems reasonable:
> I'll have to manually update sys.path. So now I'm looking at creating a
> script to start my shiny new IDLE (.08?)- but it *didn't* get installed-
> the sources are in my install directory, but nada in
> python2.1/site-packages (or anwhere else in /usr/local). What did I
> miss?? So:

> make: *** No rule to make target `uninstall'.  Stop.

> how rude  :-( !  I really wanted to start fresh, partly 'cause I didn't
> realize that some/most/all of my mods to Setup are handled automagically
> by setup.py. Running Mandrake 7.2, gcc-2.95.2-12mdk, installing from
> Python-2.1.tgz from Pythonlabs. tcl/tk seemed to install fine. Clues?
> Please? (I've surely left out the imp't stuff, but if I knew what it
> was, probably wouldn't need to come a beggin' :-> ). PS- I don't have a
> PYTHONHOME set (noticed it was a prob. for others).

> TIA, y'all (yep, we _really_do_say_that_).....

hmmm.... seems I remembered simply overwriting the idle install with a
snapshot in order to upgrade a previous version, so I copied the idle
source from my install directory to the 2.1 site-packages- seems to work
after I also created a script to set the env variables for 2.1.

thanks for your patience.........

Sat, 29 Nov 2003 02:22:22 GMT

1. Problems compiling/installing 2.1 on Linux

2. Python 2.1 == Jython 2.1 != Python 2.2?

3. Problems importing _sre w/VC7-compiled Python 2.1

4. error compiling python 2.1 and tkinter

5. Python 2.1 compile error on HPUX

6. Python 2.1: cannot compile socket module

7. compile problems using python 1.3 and freebsd 2.1

8. Problems compiling Python 2.1 on HP-UX 11.0

9. Python 2.1 HPUX 10.20 compile

10. problem compiling python's readline on linux

11. Can't get my linux compile of Python to make gdbm or bsddb modules

12. python 2.1 rpm and tgz don't install under rh7 with xfree86 4.1.0