New module for Python
Author Message
 New module for Python

I am learning Pythin right now, and would like to write a new extension for
the language, for both practive doing so, and to give something back to the
community. I have many years of experience writing Windows code (esp.
multimedia stuf), so perhaps something Windows-specific. Though I like to
write code that can be portable.

So, I am looking for input on what kind of module I should write. Right now
I am thinking of a generic DirectShow module that would allow the playback
of any media-type that DS supports. Pretty simple to do, but I did a search
and saw that there is a package called snack that may provide the
functionality I am thinking about.

Any thoughts, comments, etc welcome.

Thanks,
Tyler Wilson

Mon, 21 Jun 2004 10:43:39 GMT
 New module for Python

Quote:
> I am learning Pythin right now, and would like to write a new extension
for
> the language, for both practive doing so, and to give something back to
the
> community. I have many years of experience writing Windows code (esp.
> multimedia stuf), so perhaps something Windows-specific. Though I like to
> write code that can be portable.

> So, I am looking for input on what kind of module I should write. Right

now

Port Perl's Mail::Audit into python code. I'd love to see that. :)

I find pycmail's interface freakishly weird, where Mail::Audit (by the
excellent Simon Cozens) seems much more intuitive.

Unfortunately this isn't Windows-specific, nor even really useful to the
Average Windows Hacker, but hey, better to write something that will make
your life easier (if you use Unix or a Unix-like OS by any chance). If
you're really looking for something to write, believe me, if you concentrate
hard enough on being lazy, you'll figure out something you can write that'll
make YOU as happy as it'll make others.

Hope that helps to get you started thinking of some ideas,

Brad

Mon, 21 Jun 2004 11:28:40 GMT
 New module for Python
Dear Sir,

    1)    Process Industry in moving to OPC in datacommunication:

            http://www.opcfoundation.org/

           There exists a dll -file that enables one to write Visual
Basic Interfaces
            to OPC -commands:

            http://www.opcfoundation.org/fp_07_down.htm

            It would be cool if one could do data queris from Python !!!

- Pekka-

Quote:

>I am learning Pythin right now, and would like to write a new extension for
>the language, for both practive doing so, and to give something back to the
>community. I have many years of experience writing Windows code (esp.
>multimedia stuf), so perhaps something Windows-specific. Though I like to
>write code that can be portable.

>So, I am looking for input on what kind of module I should write. Right now
>I am thinking of a generic DirectShow module that would allow the playback
>of any media-type that DS supports. Pretty simple to do, but I did a search
>and saw that there is a package called snack that may provide the
>functionality I am thinking about.

>Any thoughts, comments, etc welcome.

>Thanks,
>Tyler Wilson

Mon, 21 Jun 2004 16:47:28 GMT
 New module for Python

Quote:
> I am thinking of a generic DirectShow module that would allow the
> playback

> of any media-type that DS supports. Pretty simple to do, but I did a
> search

> and saw that there is a package called snack that may provide the
> functionality I am thinking about.

Snack provides much, that's true... My two cents, do it anyway! You
have an idea, the functionality would be cool and you would learn
python really good.
--

Vennlig hilsen

Syver Enstad

Mon, 21 Jun 2004 20:03:29 GMT
 New module for Python
Thanks. I decided to do the DirectShow Module anyway. I know it, and there
is enough to it that as you, I will learn a lot.

So, I have the basic functionality working: you can play any media type that
your local machine can play. I am going to build a simple Tk MediaPlayer
interface, and try to get status notification working.

So, the next question: what is the best way to get it out into the world?
Sourceforge, Vaults of Parnassus, or my own home page (I guess I shoudl get
one)?

Thanks all,
Tyler

Quote:

> > I am thinking of a generic DirectShow module that would allow the
> > playback

> > of any media-type that DS supports. Pretty simple to do, but I did a
> > search

> > and saw that there is a package called snack that may provide the
> > functionality I am thinking about.

> Snack provides much, that's true... My two cents, do it anyway! You
> have an idea, the functionality would be cool and you would learn
> python really good.
> --

> Vennlig hilsen

> Syver Enstad

Tue, 22 Jun 2004 23:29:28 GMT
 New module for Python

Quote:
> So, I have the basic functionality working: you can play any media
> type that your local machine can play. I am going to build a simple
> Tk MediaPlayer interface, and try to get status notification
> working.

Cool

Quote:

> So, the next question: what is the best way to get it out into the
> world?
> Sourceforge, Vaults of Parnassus, or my own home page (I guess I
> shoudl get
> one)?

All of them, but first get it out somewhere fast so we can look at
it. Maybe your own homepage would be fastest here?

Post the url soon!

--

Vennlig hilsen

Syver Enstad

Wed, 23 Jun 2004 02:07:56 GMT

1. new module for Python/Linux

2. Python module templates (was python calling python)

3. New list: ruby-modules - for module developers...

4. bug-fix for NEW_OBJECT module (is now new module)

5. Linking Python modules to C++ modules...a problem

6. Fvwm.py -- A Python module for Fvwm modules!

7. Python modules and Perl modules

8. Anybody doing irc-stuff with Python / status of irc-modules for Python

9. fintl.py -- a python module to aid i18n (was Re: International Python)

10. python-mySQL module documentation other that python.org?

11. PROPOSAL: A Generic Python Object Interface for Python C Modules

12. PROPOSAL: A Generic Python Object Interface for Python C Modules