generating html from other documents
Author Message
 generating html from other documents

The folks at United Media have a bunch of comics on line, with a
week-long lag time. Each strip has it's own directory. The front
page for each strip has the current strip on it. If you look at
the source, there's a comment tab on the line just before the
link/image of the current strip. Now that the background is out
of the way, I was wondering if I could do this (using Win95):

        1 Open a file and write some html header junk

        2 Open each URL with urlopen()

        3 Parse through ( readline() ) until I find the comment

        3 Dump the next line to the file

        4 repeat 2-3 for each item

and get a file I could open with Netscape, which would then get
all the strips on one page for my reading pleasure.

The docs say "Some of these modules require the presence of the
system-dependent module sockets, which is currently only fully
supported on Unix and Windows NT." I don't see a "sockets", but
there's a "socket.py" in lib\win.

Oh, hold on a sec, lemme put in the newer version.

Yeah, still socket.py. Is that the one I need?

Well, whaddya think?

--

PGP Key ID 0xFD7399CD             http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~sirtwist
62906E6A F1F26625 0830F0F5 4E0CB80C

 All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy.

Sat, 14 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 generating html from other documents

|       1 Open a file and write some html header junk
|       2 Open each URL with urlopen()
|       3 Parse through ( readline() ) until I find the comment
|       3 Dump the next line to the file
|       4 repeat 2-3 for each item

Sounds really fine :-) I have done such beasts by myself.

| The docs say "Some of these modules require the presence of the
| system-dependent module sockets, which is currently only fully
| supported on Unix and Windows NT." I don't see a "sockets", but
| there's a "socket.py" in lib\win.

Well try it, do a import socket, if it imports it works :-) (To be
honest there are socket support for win95 too, but you need one of the
win-ports)

| Well, whaddya think?

Sounds really good, don't forget to share your script with us people
who also are interested in comics!

        /Andy

Sun, 15 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 generating html from other documents

Subject:      generating html from other documents

Quote:
> Yeah, still socket.py. Is that the one I need?

I hope so.  Windows XX doesn't natively support
unicisms such as sock.makefile, which the python
libraries rely on heavily, so Guido (with help from
the likes of Jim Ahlstrom, Mark Hammond, and
Sam Rushing, I believe) developed a "wrapper"
socket.py that emulates some of these unicisms.
Similarly, on the Mac, unicisms are emulated over
the native socket implementation.

If it doesn't work, maybe send mail to

    -- Aaron Watters
===
JUVENILE COURT TO TRY SHOOTING SUSPECT
   -- a "real life headline" attribution lost
      [that should work...]

Sun, 15 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 generating html from other documents

{This is a usenet followup, copied to Aaron Watters}

On Wed, 26 Feb 1997 14:16:12 GMT,
In comp.lang.python, in message

|Subject:      generating html from other documents
|> Yeah, still socket.py. Is that the one I need?
|
|I hope so.  Windows XX doesn't natively support
|unicisms such as sock.makefile, which the Python

Seems to work okay. Now I just have to find some time to do
this....

|If it doesn't work, maybe send mail to

|    -- Aaron Watters

ST

PS I haven't checked back at the web site lately, so feel free to
tell me to RTFM, but what are the command line arguments
available for the PythonWin executables?
--

PGP Key ID 0xFD7399CD             http://www.pobox.com/~sirtwist
62906E6A F1F26625 0830F0F5 4E0CB80C

 All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy.

Mon, 16 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 generating html from other documents

{This is a usenet followup, copied to Andy Eskilsson}

On 26 Feb 1997 08:58:55 +0100,

|| The docs say "Some of these modules require the presence of the
|| system-dependent module sockets, which is currently only fully
|| supported on Unix and Windows NT." I don't see a "sockets", but
|| there's a "socket.py" in lib\win.
|
|Well try it, do a import socket, if it imports it works :-) (To be
|honest there are socket support for win95 too, but you need one of the
|win-ports)

I'm using PythonWin on Win95, and I tried typing some of the
stuff into the console, and it seems to work.

|| Well, whaddya think?
|
|Sounds really good, don't forget to share your script with us people
|who also are interested in comics!

Will do! Whenever I get around to doing it, that is.)

|       /Andy

ST
--

PGP Key ID 0xFD7399CD             http://www.pobox.com/~sirtwist
62906E6A F1F26625 0830F0F5 4E0CB80C

 All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy.

Mon, 16 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Open generated HTML in browser (was - Generate HTML in GUI app)

2. Generating Microsoft Word Documents via CLIPPER

3. How does one generate XML documents?

4. Printing html document from ST

5. Viewing the HTML documents

6. Print only a specific control or indicator on a front panel to HTML document

7. Displaying an HTML Document *on the front panel*

8. ATLAST for dynamic html documents

9. Library to use html-documents as help

10. HTML Groups/documents???

11. printing multiple html documents

12. VRML in an HTML document