Call for Programs: the "phonecode" benchmark
Author Message
 Call for Programs: the "phonecode" benchmark

Hi all,

 - Out of the following set of scripting languages:
     Perl, Python, Rexx, Tcl
   do you prefer one over the others?
 - Do you think one is inherently better than the others?
 - Or aren't you sure?

NOW IS THE TIME TO FIND OUT!

I have prepared an interesting small programming problem
and have collected a number of implementations for it in C, C++, Java
and Lisp.
Comparing these programs, one finds that there are substantial
differences between the different languages (such as for program length,
programming time, run time, memory requirements), but that the differences
between the individual implementations even within one language are
even larger.

I would now like to extend this investigation to scripting languages:

  o Are differences between implementations using the same language
    smaller or even larger than for "standard" programming languages?

  o Do systematic differences between different scripting languages
    exist?

  o How do the scripting languages compare to standard programming
    languages such as C or Java?

If you are interested in participating in this investigation
please create an implementation of the "Phonecode" benchmark
problem in your favorite scripting language and submit it to me.
I will make the results available to you after the evaluation.
The effort required is typically somewhere between 1 and 8 hours.

For a description of the programming problem etc., see
http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~prechelt/phonecode/

NOTE THAT THIS PROGRAM COLLECTION EFFORT CLOSES AT DECEMBER 18, 1999.

Happy programming!

  Lutz

P.S.: You sure know at least ONE other person who might be interested
      in this, right?  Please tell him or her!

Lutz Prechelt   http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~prechelt/ | Whenever you
Institut f. Programmstrukturen & Datenorganisation | complicate things,
Universitaet Karlsruhe;  76128 Karlsruhe;  Germany | they get
(Phone: +49/721/608-4068, FAX: +49/721/608-7343)   | less simple.

Quote:
>>> Ever had negative research results?   http://www.*-*-*.com/ ;<<

Sun, 05 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Call for Programs: the "phonecode" benchmark

Quote:

> I would now like to extend this investigation to scripting languages:
>   o Are differences between implementations using the same language
>     smaller or even larger than for "standard" programming languages?

Python is just as 'standard' as Java is, isn't it? Why is it that
you make the assumption that statically typed usually-compiled languages are
the 'standard'?

Quote:
>   o Do systematic differences between different scripting languages
>     exist?

Sure. Each language has its own approach. I'd imagine the difference between
these interpreted languages is possibly bigger than the difference between
something like C++, Java, or Delphi. run-time dynamicism allows for a
wider range of language constructs, so there are more ways to
diverge.

Quote:
>   o How do the scripting languages compare to standard programming
>     languages such as C or Java?

> If you are interested in participating in this investigation
> please create an implementation of the "Phonecode" benchmark
> problem in your favorite scripting language and submit it to me.
> I will make the results available to you after the evaluation.

It sounds fairly interesting. But first I need to study the problem. :)

Regards,

Martijn

Sun, 05 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Call for Programs: the "phonecode" benchmark
[Lutz Prechelt]

Quote:
>  - Out of the following set of scripting languages:
>      Perl, Python, Rexx, Tcl
>    do you prefer one over the others?

Yes.

Quote:
>  - Do you think one is inherently better than the others?

Yes -- but which one depends on what you're doing <0.5 wink>.  Suppose the
task is this:  next Tuesday, you will be assigned a problem to solve via
program, drawn at random from the set of all problems that have ever been
solved, or might plausibly be solved, via program.  You must choose the
programming language you're going to use next Monday, before knowing which
problem you must solve.  You must solve the problem by next Wednesday, else
your failure will be announced on Usenet and you'll suffer 10% more flames
than usual.

There are only two sane choices:  Python -- or suicide <wink>.

> I have prepared an interesting small programming problem
> [at http://wwwipd.ira.uka.de/~prechelt/phonecode/]

This was fun!  I enjoyed it.  Excellent writeup of the problem.

> I would now like to extend this investigation to scripting languages:

>   o Are differences between implementations using the same language
>     smaller or even larger than for "standard" programming languages?

My guess is larger:  "high level" data structures and algorithms are so much
easier to experiment with in high-level languages that a greater diversity
of approaches is natural.

Quote:
>   o Do systematic differences between different scripting languages
>     exist?

Yes.  For example, not all scripting languages use "#" as a comment
character <wink>.

Quote:
>   o How do the scripting languages compare to standard programming
>     languages such as C or Java?

Shorter code, easier to read, easier to write, easier to test, easier to
debug, less likely correct on first run (due to lack of static
declarations), more likely correct on last run (due to extensive
error-checking in the languages' runtime support -- Perl has to be run
with -w to get this, though), slower to run an equivalent algorithm, but
more likely to come up with a better algorithm.

> The effort required is typically somewhere between 1 and 8 hours.

Goodness -- that's between a month and a year's work for Fredrik <wink>.

cheerleadingly y'rs  - tim

Sun, 12 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Call for Programs: the "phonecode" benchmark

2. Call for Programs: the "phonecode" benchmark

3. Call for Programs: the "phonecode" benchmark

4. LAST CALL: postdoc "Intentional Programming"

5. LAST CALL: postdoc "Intentional Programming"

6. LAST CALL: postdoc "Intentional Programming"

7. LAST CALL - Postdoc "Intentional Programming"

8. LAST CALL: postdoc "Intentional Programming"

9. LAST CALL: postdoc "Intentional Programming"

10. Call "COBOL" program from REXX MVS

11. LAST CALL: postdoc "Intentional Programming"

12. LAST CALL: postdoc "Intentional Programming"