Red Hat Linux and poplib.py
Author Message
 Red Hat Linux and poplib.py

Hi python fans,

I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction.
When I try to use a contributed Zope module that calls
poplib.py, Python v.2.5.2, I get a couple of error messages.
The first hangs on:

Quote:
>   File /l01/Zope/lib/python/Products/POPMailBase/POP.py,
>   line 132, in
> ListMessages
>     (Object: POPMailAccountBase)
>   File /l01/Zope/lib/python/Products/POPMailBase/POP.py,
>   line 68, in
> UpdateStatus
>     (Object: POPMailAccountBase)
>   File /l01/Zope/lib/python/Products/POPMailBase/POP.py,
>   line 42, in
> Connect
>     (Object: POPMailAccountBase)
>   File /l01/Zope-2.2.1-linux2-x86/lib/python1.5/poplib.py,
>   line 183, in
> pass_
>   File /l01/Zope-2.2.1-linux2-x86/lib/python1.5/poplib.py,
>   line 146, in
> _shortcmd
>   File /l01/Zope-2.2.1-linux2-x86/lib/python1.5/poplib.py,
>   line 125, in
> _getresp
> error_proto: (see above)

with an error message of:

Quote:
> > Error Type: error_proto
> > Error Value: -ERR Not implemented

This makes me think that poplib.py is trying to interact
with some PopMail feature that isn't implemented in the
Red Hat v.5.2 distribution.

My guess is that the second error is the result of the first,
but it really is just a guess. The error is:

>   File /l01/Zope/lib/python/Products/POPMailBase/POP.py,
>   line 132, in
> ListMessages
>     (Object: POPMailAccountBase)
>   File /l01/Zope/lib/python/Products/POPMailBase/POP.py,
>   line 68, in
> UpdateStatus
>     (Object: POPMailAccountBase)
>   File /l01/Zope/lib/python/Products/POPMailBase/POP.py,
>   line 42, in
> Connect
>     (Object: POPMailAccountBase)
>   File /l01/Zope-2.2.1-linux2-x86/lib/python1.5/poplib.py,
>   line 183, in
> pass_
>   File /l01/Zope-2.2.1-linux2-x86/lib/python1.5/poplib.py,
>   line 146, in
> _shortcmd
>   File /l01/Zope-2.2.1-linux2-x86/lib/python1.5/poplib.py,
>   line 125, in
> _getresp
> error_proto: (see above)

which is identical to the one above, but with the message:

Quote:
> > Error Type: error_proto
> > Error Value: -ERR Mailbox in use

It seems like the popmail server isn't updated when the
client process drops, and keeps the session open. When that
happens, I can't even connect to the user mailbox from
Eudora, or even directly from the Python prompt.

BTW, I was able to connect to the mailbox via the Python
prompt once, after the client process was killed manually.
I used some of the examples in the Beazley book, and
elswhere, to invoke poplib.py, sign on, etc.

I searched the Web for references to Red Hat and PopMail
problems, and found a short E-Mail thread about this.

  http://www.*-*-*.com/

  http://www.*-*-*.com/

The recommended solution was to use another PopMail server,
such as CUCIPOP. Since I'm not the system admin, I don't
have much access to the host, and such notions aren't often
warmly received. It was far from painless just to get Python
and Zope up and running, though we do have one Linux guru on
staff.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Jerry S.

Mon, 28 Jul 2003 00:43:21 GMT
 Red Hat Linux and poplib.py

| I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction.
| When I try to use a contributed Zope module that calls
| poplib.py, Python v.2.5.2, I get a couple of error messages.
| The first hangs on:
|
| >   File /l01/Zope/lib/python/Products/POPMailBase/POP.py,
| >   line 132, in
| > ListMessages
| >     (Object: POPMailAccountBase)
| >   File /l01/Zope/lib/python/Products/POPMailBase/POP.py,
| >   line 68, in
| > UpdateStatus
| >     (Object: POPMailAccountBase)
| >   File /l01/Zope/lib/python/Products/POPMailBase/POP.py,
| >   line 42, in
| > Connect
| >     (Object: POPMailAccountBase)
| >   File /l01/Zope-2.2.1-linux2-x86/lib/python1.5/poplib.py,
| >   line 183, in
| > pass_
| >   File /l01/Zope-2.2.1-linux2-x86/lib/python1.5/poplib.py,
| >   line 146, in
| > _shortcmd
| >   File /l01/Zope-2.2.1-linux2-x86/lib/python1.5/poplib.py,
| >   line 125, in
| > _getresp
| > error_proto: (see above)
|
| with an error message of:
|
| > > Error Type: error_proto
| > > Error Value: -ERR Not implemented
|
| This makes me think that poplib.py is trying to interact
| with some PopMail feature that isn't implemented in the
| Red Hat v.5.2 distribution.

If you look at line 183 in poplib.py, you'll see that it's trying
to supply a password for a clear text login.  According to my
interpretation of "implemented", it would be very odd if that
really wasn't implemented, but there could in theory be a site
policy that refused it for non-SSL-encrypted connections.  Or
the problem could really be the context in which the login was
attempted.

If you're lucky, perhaps someone out there will read this and
remember the same problem with that version of Zope, that version
of Red Hat Linux and that version of ipop3d, and how it was resolved.
Otherwise, you will have to start eliminating the variables yourself.
I am not interested in Zope or Red Hat Linux, but if you can tell
me what poplib is doing and if you can narrow down to a specific
version of ipop3d, I can look into that.  I would think you're running
ipop3d, but I haven't seen any version that has a "Not implemented"
message.  Just telnet to port 110 on the mail host, and copy down
what it says.  While you're there, try "user bogus" and then
"pass bogus" and see what happens.  (Then "quit".)  To get the
story on poplib, maybe you need debugging output in _putcmd() or
_shortcmd().  To a file, probably with a different name every
session.

Mon, 28 Jul 2003 03:20:58 GMT

1. Forth RPM for Red Hat Linux

2. Font display problems under Red Hat Linux 7.3

3. Various Ruby RPMs available for Red Hat Linux 7.2

4. FLORIST-2.0 on Red Hat Linux 5.0

5. Obtaining the IDLE GUI under Red Hat Linux 7.2

6. _imaging.so for Red Hat Linux needed

7. pgplot Windows NT and Red Hat LINUX

8. Precompiled 1.6 for Red Hat Linux 6.2?

9. Python and Red Hat Linux 6

10. Python and Red Hat Linux 6.0

11. strange ImportError on Red Hat Linux python installation

12. Gnu prolog install on Red Hat Linux