What are the BLT extensions ?
Author Message
 What are the BLT extensions ?

/Can anybody tell me what are the BLT extensions, are they available for
Win32 ?

/J

Sat, 01 Apr 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 What are the BLT extensions ?

Quote:
> /Can anybody tell me what are the BLT extensions, are they available for
> Win32 ?

Below I dropped the feature list from the README of blt8.0b1 "unofficial".
I have the sources of both BLT-2.1 and blt8.0b1 ("unofficial").

AFAIK BLT-2.1 is the last official version, but that doesn't work with
tcl/tk 8.0. A later "unofficial" version is blt-8.0b1. For me that worked
with precisely that tcl/tk version, but not with the current tcl/tk 8.0.
(Linux RedHat 4.2 i486 system.)
The "unofficial" version contained sources for Win95, but I haven't tried to
build them.

The sources mention the following URL:
ftp://ftp.neosoft.com/pub/tcl/sorted/devel. I guess it's kinda busy now, as
I couldn't get through during the last half hour to check whether there have
been any developments since early summer.

cjr

--

-----

The BLT library adds the following commands to Tk:

table      A table-based geometry manager for Tk.  You specify the
           widget layout as row and column positions in the table.
           Has many options for constraining window resizing.

graph      A X-Y graph widget.  Plots two-variable data.  Supports
           two sets of X and Y axes, inverted axes, custom axis
           layout.

barchart   A barchart widget.  Plots two-variable data using bars.
           Supports two sets of X and Y axes, inverted axes, custom axis
           layout.

vector     Creates a vector of floating point values.  The vector's
           components can be manipulated in three ways: through a Tcl
           array variable, a Tcl command, or the C API.

spline     Computes a spline fitting a set of data points (x and y vectors)
           and produces a vector of the interpolated images (y-coordinates)
           at a given set of x-coordinates.

busy       For handling user-interaction when the application is "busy".
           Manages an invisible "busy" window which prevents further
           user device (keyboard, mouse, button, etc.) interactions.
           Also provides a different cursor which supersedes application
           cursors.
bgexec     Like Tcl's "exec ... &", but collects the output, error, and
           status of the detached UNIX subprocesses.  Sets a Tcl variable
           upon completion.  Can be used with "tkwait variable" to handle
           expose events, etc. while waiting for subprocesses to finish.

drag&drop  Command which adds drag-n-drop capabilities to Tk.  It
           provides "send"-style communication between drag-drop
           sources and targets.  The result is a much more powerful
           drag-and-drop mechanism than is available with OpenLook
           or Motif.

htext      A simple hypertext widget. Allows text and Tk widgets to
           be combined in a scroll-able text window.  Any Tk widget
           can be embedded and used to form hyper-links.  Other
           options allow for selections and text searches.

bitmap     Command for creating and manipulating bitmaps from Tcl. Lets
           you read and write bitmaps from Tcl. Can also define X bitmaps
           and create bitmaps from text strings.  Other options let
           you rotate and scale bitmaps.

winop      Low-level Xlib calls let you raise, lower, map, or, unmap
           any window.

watch      Lets you specify Tcl procedures to be run before and/or
           after every Tcl command.  May be used for logging,
           tracing, profiling, or debugging or Tcl code.

bltdebug   Prints out each Tcl command before it's executed.

:
:Below I dropped the feature list from the README of blt8.0b1 "unofficial".
:I have the sources of both BLT-2.1 and blt8.0b1 ("unofficial").

The best place to look for new BLT release info is the BLT web page
at <URL:http://www.tcltk.com/blt/> - but you might also check with
this fellow.

What: BLT toolkit port to python
Where: <URL:http://www.mit.edu/people/pjg/blt.py>
Updated: 04/1997
Contact: <URL:http://www.mit.edu/people/pjg/home.html> (Peter J. Godman)

P.S.  If you watch <URL:http://www.teraform.com/%7Elvirden/tcl-faq/part4.html>
and <URL:http://www.teraform.com/%7Elvirden/tcl-faq/part5.html> you should
be able to see when new Tk related extensions appear.

If you see Python/Tk info missing or out of date from these pages, be sure
to drop me an email so that I can add them .

Thu, 06 Apr 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. BLT extensions with BeOpen Python 2.0

2. Blt and Pmw extensions

3. What are the BLT extensions ?

4. dqkit problem with BLT extension failing

5. Help getting BLT extension working with python/tkinter on linux

6. BLT extension with the tclet plugin

7. Extensions (e.g., BLT) and Netscape plugin?

8. Help with BLT extension on TclPro/Unix

9. How to install blt-extension for Tkinter

10. BLT extension

11. HELP combining TCL extensions itcl, tclX, blt

12. BLT extension: problem with the Blt_GraphElement() call