i found the perfect python web host with root access
Author Message
 i found the perfect python web host with root access

I've been looking for an affordable web host that would let me run a
continuous process (webware/webkit) and been dissapointed for a while.
I heard something on a mailing list (maybe this one, I can't remember)
about a $14.95 per month web host with root access !!!  So I did some
searching and found velocityserver.com.  Sure enough, they have a 500 MB
/ 10 GB/Mo account with root access.  It is a virtual private server
type setup.  So I paid my setup fee and gave it a shot.  It comes with
redhat 7.1, apache 1.3 (I'll probably install apache2) and python 1.5 (I
installed 2.2.2) among other things and some really cool web-based admin
software.  The server I'm on is blazing fast and it's simply a dream
come true.  ROOT ACCESS!  Need I say more.  Oh, and their email support
is good.  Note that this is only my second day to have the setup, but
I'm so e{*filter*}d I just wanted to let you guys in on it.  And of course
you're not limited to a web server.  You could host an email server, ftp
server, or whatever.  There's no port blocking or any restrictions I've
seen yet.  And you get a static IP.  Anyway, I hope someone benefits
from my post.  I see this type of service becoming a must have for
linux/bsd junkies.  I hope this company and others like it can continue
to offer it at such a great price.  Not so much of a help to Windows
users unless they want to eat all of their bandwidth using VNC to
install/uninstall software.  I love linux.  And BSD is good too.  And
SSH, Apache, Python, .... Have a wonderful day.

Randall

Wed, 09 Nov 2005 01:30:36 GMT
 i found the perfect python web host with root access

Quote:

> I've been looking for an affordable web host that would let me run a
> continuous process (webware/webkit) and been dissapointed for a while. I
> heard something on a mailing list (maybe this one, I can't remember)
> about a $14.95 per month web host with root access !!!  So I did some
> searching and found velocityserver.com.  Sure enough, they have a 500 MB
> / 10 GB/Mo account with root access.  It is a virtual private server
> type setup. [...]

Using UML (User Mode Linux), uh?

You can get that even cheaper over here in Germany:
http://www.server4free.de/ - Virtual "root" server (UML), 1 GB web
space, 15 GB/month included traffic.

RAM/60 GB traffic/month; Debian or SuSE Linux preinstalled).

here.

Congratulations for you choice of getting a server of your own :-) I
find it's not worth my sanity working around whatever random
restrictions an ISP puts upon me in the "hosted" offerings.

-- Gerhard

Wed, 09 Nov 2005 02:42:35 GMT

1. PHP Web Hosting Shop - Find Your Web Hosting

2. Python-Hosting.com: new Hosting Provider specialized in Python

3. Root access with python

4. Python-friendly Web Hosting Wiki

5. Web site hosting supporting Python

6. Commercial Web Hosting w/ Python CGI Scripts?

7. Python & Web Hosting

8. The PSA (was Low cost web hosting with Python)

9. Low cost web hosting with Python

10. web hosting with python cgi

11. Free Python Web Hosting sites?

12. python web hosting