MySQL, mSQL, or other database
Author Message
 MySQL, mSQL, or other database

I have a website hosted by a WPP and they will provide me with Access
database support for an additional $10 a month.  I'm on a fairly tight
budget so is there any way i can use MySQL, mSQL, or another database
package to handle a smple SQL database without a DSN.  BTW, i am a newbie to
all this stuff.  Thanks in advance, Adam.

Thu, 09 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 MySQL, mSQL, or other database

Quote:

> I have a website hosted by a WPP and they will provide me with Access
> database support for an additional $10 a month.  I'm on a fairly tight
> budget so is there any way i can use MySQL, mSQL, or another database
> package to handle a smple SQL database without a DSN.  BTW, i am a newbie to
> all this stuff.  Thanks in advance, Adam.

AFAIK, MySQL must be installed as root, so if it's not still there ..
mSQL costs for just every private user a license fee.
I'm not aware of others to be installed by you in your home directory.
(Berkeley DB has no SQL, and very simple, but it's free on most Unix
systems.)
Ask this question again in comp.infosystems.www.databases as the point is
the possibility to install it locally.

-- avs

Andre van Straaten
http://www.vanstraatensoft.com

Tue, 14 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 MySQL, mSQL, or other database

AD> I have a website hosted by a WPP and they will provide me with Access
AD> database support for an additional $10 a month. I'm on a fairly tight
AD> budget so is there any way i can use MySQL, mSQL, or another database
AD> package to handle a smple SQL database without a DSN. BTW, i am a
AD> newbie to all this stuff. Thanks in advance, Adam.

If your database isn't too heavy, you could use a Python-only solution:
Gadfly.

--

Tue, 14 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 MySQL, mSQL, or other database

Quote:

> > I'm on a fairly tight budget so is there any way i can use MySQL,
> > mSQL, or another database package to handle a smple SQL database
> > without a DSN.

> AFAIK, MySQL must be installed as root, so if it's not still there ..
> mSQL costs for just every private user a license fee.
> I'm not aware of others to be installed by you in your home directory.
> (Berkeley DB has no SQL, and very simple, but it's free on most Unix
> systems.)

I think that postgresql can be installed and run as a user if you can
compile from source, but be aware that it is big.  The final installed
size of the whole package, including development stuff, on my Mandrake
Linux box is about 12.5MB.  If you have a small quota, it will chew it
up in a big hurry.

The main site for postgresql is http://www.postgresql.org, there is
a link to a pre-release version of an upcoming book on postgresql
at http://www.postgresql.org/doxlist.html.

Hope this helps,

Mike

--
Michael Zawrotny
411 Molecular Biophysics Building

Tallahassee, FL 32306-4380              | phone:  (850) 644-0069

Tue, 14 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 MySQL, mSQL, or other database
On Sun, 23 Jul 2000 16:36:50 GMT, "Adam Durity"

Quote:

>I have a website hosted by a WPP and they will provide me with Access
>database support for an additional $10 a month.  I'm on a fairly tight
>budget so is there any way i can use MySQL, mSQL, or another database
>package to handle a smple SQL database without a DSN.  BTW, i am a newbie to
>all this stuff.  Thanks in advance, Adam.

Hello Adam!

There is an another problem which the others didn't mention ;-)

To use an SQL database you need to be able to run a 'permanent'
process. i.d. the SQL server must run even if you aren't loged in.
This is my problem! My ISP will not let me run any process if I'm not
logged in, which means I can't use a SQL server database.

So I'm using Metakit instead. It's a file based database and it will
not understand SQL but it will give me (and you) the database
facillity we want.

http://www.equi4.com/metakit/

// Anders

Tue, 14 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT

1. where can I find the binary code for mSQL or mySQL module in Pyton

2. mSQL database

3. ANNOUNCE: New MySQL extension (a little bit different to the others)

4. Python mSQL Module v2.1 for mSQL 2.0 (and hopefully mSQL 1.X too!)

5. anybody using mySql as database?

6. Q: VW7 MySQL and other free database connectivity tools

7. MySQL database access with Windows 98

8. Problem using sqlselect with mysql database

9. accesing mysql and Tps databases with the same app

10. connecting Clarion-apps to MySQL Database

11. MySQL Database Now Provides Full Transaction Support

12. MySQL Database Driver