XML-RPC Server
Author Message
 XML-RPC Server

Please enlight me again:

Does anybody have a simple XML-RPC server example flying around?
(Yes I know that Zope speaks XML-RPC. :) )

I know it should be hard to do, someone must have done it.
Just a couple of simple objects answering towards XML-RPC requests.

And I also appreciate and update on SOAP client and server python
implementation efforts.

ADVthanksANCE-ly, yours
        Bernhard

--
Free Software Projects and Consulting                    (intevation.net)
Association for a Free Informational Infrastructure            (ffii.org)

Sat, 29 Jun 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 XML-RPC Server

Quote:
> Does anybody have a simple XML-RPC server example flying around?

Of course I found a rudimentary example in the
XML-RPC for Python package(xmlrpclib).

        Bernhard

Sat, 29 Jun 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 XML-RPC Server

Quote:
>I know it should be hard to do, someone must have done it.
>Just a couple of simple objects answering towards XML-RPC requests.

In fact, it's insanely hard to do.  I can't tell you the tears I had to go
through just to download the dang thing.  ;-)

Look for the "xmlrpclib" package for Python.  You can get to it through the
www.xmlrpc.com website.  That package includes the client software as well
as two types of servers: one for Medusa, and one for the out-of-the-box
SocketServer package.  It takes a little bit to get used to, but not much --
you can have a fully functional XML RPC server set up in minutes.

Quote:
>And I also appreciate and update on SOAP client and server python
>implementation efforts.

Indeed -- I too would like more information on this.  I checked out
www.develop.com, since they seem to be the biggest mover and shaker in the
SOAP world, but I haven't found anything just yet.  Maybe I'm just not
looking in the right areas?

--
KC5TJA/6, DM13, QRP-L #1447
Samuel A. Falvo II

Sat, 29 Jun 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 XML-RPC Server

Quote:
>>I know it should be hard to do, someone must have done it.
>>Just a couple of simple objects answering towards XML-RPC requests.

> In fact, it's insanely hard to do.  I can't tell you the tears I had to go
> through just to download the dang thing.  ;-)

A type on my part of course. It should have read "not hard to do".  :)

Quote:
> Look for the "xmlrpclib" package for Python.

Found it in there minutes after posting.  Thanks for the resonse.

        Bernhard
--
Free Software Projects and Consulting                    (intevation.net)
Association for a Free Informational Infrastructure            (ffii.org)

Sun, 30 Jun 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 XML-RPC Server

[snip]

Quote:
> Indeed -- I too would like more information on this.  I checked out
> www.develop.com, since they seem to be the biggest mover and shaker in the
> SOAP world, but I haven't found anything just yet.  Maybe I'm just not
> looking in the right areas?

What is the python community's position re SOAP and XML-RPC?  As I
understand it, XML-RPC is standards-base, platform-independent, while
SOAP uses MS-sponsored extensions (including, e.g., XML Data).  Can I
assume that *both* will be supported in the future?

Quote:

--

The Boeing Company          Renton:  (425) 237-6915
P. O. Box 3707  OY-89       Everett: (425) 266-3149

Tue, 02 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 XML-RPC Server

Quote:
> What is the python community's position re SOAP and XML-RPC?  As I
> understand it, XML-RPC is standards-base, platform-independent, while
> SOAP uses MS-sponsored extensions (including, e.g., XML Data).  Can I
> assume that *both* will be supported in the future?

only speaking for myself here (as the xmlrpclib and
soaplib implementer):

- XML-RPC is simple, platform-independent, and already
available (http://www.pythonware.com/products/xmlrpc).
unfortunately, XML-RPC is a bit too simple: it cannot
marshal all common Python data structures (in other
words, it cannot replace pickle).

- SOAP is much more complete, and afaik, is exactly as
platform independent as XML-RPC.  SOAP can marshal
everything that pickle can.

- the goal is to have full implementations of both XML-RPC
and SOAP available in a not too distant future. (and with a
little luck, we might even be able to persuade GvR to ship
them with Python 2.0 or so...)

</F>

Tue, 02 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 XML-RPC Server

Quote:

>What is the python community's position re SOAP and XML-RPC?  As I
>understand it, XML-RPC is standards-base, platform-independent, while
>SOAP uses MS-sponsored extensions (including, e.g., XML Data).  Can I
>assume that *both* will be supported in the future?

Having a copy of the XMLRPC specification right here, I can say that XML-RPC
doesn't reference a single standards document.  OK, the timestamps are in
ISO8601 format.  But everything else is anything but standards based.  In
fact, ALL of XML-RPC seems to be entirely Dave Winer's creation.  I've never
seen any third-party recommendation be included into XML-RPC except for the
Base64 datatype.

SOAP, in contrast, IS based on existing open standards.  Just look at its
bibliography.  Also, XML-Data is not a Microsoft "extension" -- it's
something the W3C organization has been working on for quite a long time.
Just because Microsoft had some input in the standards creation process does
mean it's suddenly a Microsoft extension.  I remember hearing about a desire
to replace the SGML DTD notation with XML back when XML was first
introduced.  And now, they're working on its successor: XML-Schemas.  I have
the specification for XML-Schemas.  I can see **nothing** in it that, in any
way, shape, or form, that makes me believe that Microsoft had anything to do
with the standards approval process -- there is nothing in EITHER
specification which makes them implicitly or explicitly Windows-specific.

For the record, that which is now SOAP happens to be the ORIGINAL XML-RPC
specification, developed long before Microsoft even got involved, and
developed by the same people who designed the modern XML-RPC standard.  The
ONLY reason XML-RPC standard exists today is because Microsoft wanted to
make sure everything was correct before releasing the standard, which would
have blown Dave Winer's schedule.  He released XML-RPC as a quick kludge
(and it shows!) that was both capable and simple to implement -- thus
guaranteeing Dave's software release schedule.  Are you aware that most of
the software supporting XML-RPC is now also supporting SOAP?  I can see the
market trends already -- XML-RPC will die a slow (but painless) death, and
SOAP will replace it.  XML-RPC has served its purpose; it's time to move on.

--
KC5TJA/6, DM13, QRP-L #1447
Samuel A. Falvo II

Tue, 02 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 XML-RPC Server

Quote:

>- the goal is to have full implementations of both XML-RPC
>and SOAP available in a not too distant future. (and with a
>little luck, we might even be able to persuade GvR to ship
>them with Python 2.0 or so...)

I cast my vote for this:  include xmlrpclib and soaplib!!  :)

--
KC5TJA/6, DM13, QRP-L #1447
Samuel A. Falvo II

Tue, 02 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. How to set up an XML-RPC server (newbie)

2. xml-rpc server in python returning python lists...

3. XML-RPC Server in Python

4. XML-RPC Server/Client Help Request

5. Python XML-RPC server as CGI

6. Automation wrapped xmlrpc Server