ctl3d32.dll, Python/win32 install issues 
Author Message
 ctl3d32.dll, Python/win32 install issues

Related to Tim's post of ctl3d32.dll issues, I received
the following note from a friend:

  I am well aware of this problem.  Microsoft, as always,
  speaks from both sides of its corporate mouth.  On the
  one hand, they tell you to never install ctl3d32.dll.  On
  the other hand, they ship MFC dll's and others which
  require you to install ctl3d32.dll.  Microsoft does provide
  an "official" way to install this dll.  Buried on their web
  site is a file called 401comupd.exe. They advise you to run
  this executible as part of your installation routine.  
  401comupd.exe detects the version of Windows and installs
  the correct dll.  It has no screen output and runs quite
  quickly so their scheme is not a bad one.

Perhaps 401comupd.exe can be placed into the python installer.

Best regards,

Jeff Bauer
Rubicon, Inc.



Sat, 11 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 ctl3d32.dll, Python/win32 install issues

Quote:

> Related to Tim's post of ctl3d32.dll issues, I received
> the following note from a friend:

>   I am well aware of this problem.  Microsoft, as always,
>   speaks from both sides of its corporate mouth.  On the
>   one hand, they tell you to never install ctl3d32.dll.  On
>   the other hand, they ship MFC dll's and others which
>   require you to install ctl3d32.dll.  Microsoft does provide
>   an "official" way to install this dll.  Buried on their web
>   site is a file called 401comupd.exe. They advise you to run
>   this executible as part of your installation routine.
>   401comupd.exe detects the version of Windows and installs
>   the correct dll.  It has no screen output and runs quite
>   quickly so their scheme is not a bad one.

> Perhaps 401comupd.exe can be placed into the Python installer.

Here is the URL:

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/developer/downloads/files/40Comupd.htm

It says:

"""
Developers are free to ship
the entire self-extracting archive with their software
and may call it directly from their setup. They may not
ship the comctl32.dll separate from the self-extracting
archive (401comupd.exe). For more details, read the
End User License Agreement.
"""

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg                               Y2000: 309 days left
---------------------------------------------------------------------
          : Python Pages >>> http://starship.skyport.net/~lemburg/  :
           ---------------------------------------------------------



Tue, 14 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 ctl3d32.dll, Python/win32 install issues

Quote:

> > Related to Tim's post of ctl3d32.dll issues, I received
> > the following note from a friend:

> >   I am well aware of this problem.  Microsoft, as always,
> >   speaks from both sides of its corporate mouth.  On the
> >   one hand, they tell you to never install ctl3d32.dll.  On
> >   the other hand, they ship MFC dll's and others which
> >   require you to install ctl3d32.dll.  Microsoft does provide
> >   an "official" way to install this dll.  Buried on their web
> >   site is a file called 401comupd.exe. They advise you to run
> >   this executible as part of your installation routine.
> >   401comupd.exe detects the version of Windows and installs
> >   the correct dll.  It has no screen output and runs quite
> >   quickly so their scheme is not a bad one.

> > Perhaps 401comupd.exe can be placed into the Python installer.

> Here is the URL:

>     http://msdn.microsoft.com/developer/downloads/files/40Comupd.htm

> It says:

> """
> Developers are free to ship
> the entire self-extracting archive with their software
> and may call it directly from their setup. They may not
> ship the comctl32.dll separate from the self-extracting
> archive (401comupd.exe). For more details, read the
> End User License Agreement.
> """

I see no references to this DLL from the main Python installer.
Perhaps you mean Mark Hammond's win32all installer?  I have nothing to
do with that!

--Guido van Rossum (home page: http://www.python.org/~guido/)



Tue, 14 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 ctl3d32.dll, Python/win32 install issues

Quote:
> I see no references to this DLL from the main Python installer.
> Perhaps you mean Mark Hammond's win32all installer?  I have nothing to
> do with that!

Ack, I don't have time to go thru this again.  Look up my original post in
DejaNews and forget all the followups <wink/snarl>.

The original poster's complaint was about MS's ctl3d32.dll.  It's a minor
configuration problem on *his* machine, Python and WISE aren't to blame
(although WISE triggers it by trying to display its GUI <wink>), and I
pointed him to a web page (one of many) offering a simple cure.

These followups about 401comupd.exe appear irrelevant -- that replaces MS's
comctl32.dll, which is a different beast entirely.  Nobody has complained
about that one -- although if they stay on Windows long enough, they
eventually will <0.7 wink>.

even-better-ignore-this-whole-thread-ly y'rs  - tim



Tue, 14 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 ctl3d32.dll, Python/win32 install issues
The exe created by Wise, itself uses ctl3d32.dll. So simply running the
install program can generate this error - even though the dll is not used.

Version 5 of Wise, and I assume later versions, has an option to 'Use
internal 3D effects'. If this is checked Wise loads it's own copy of the
offending dll and runs with that.

Cheers,

Nick Moon.



Wed, 15 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 
 [ 5 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. 1.2 Windows install problem with ctl3d32.dll

2. 1.2 Windows install problem with ctl3d32.dll

3. CTL3D.DLL, CTL3D32.DLL, CTL3DV2.DLL and Clipper/Fivewin/R&R

4. Performance issue with Win32 DLL caller

5. CTL3D32.DLL

6. Ada binding to MS ctl3d32.dll

7. ctl3d32.dll?

8. Python Install-Installed Python 2 on top of python 1.5

9. Building self-installing Python packages for Win32

10. win32 python as a dll?

11. Extending Python on Win32, using a DLL...

12. Extending Python on Win32, using a DLL...

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software