What is the "best" network event framework for python?
Author Message
 What is the "best" network event framework for python?

Hi,

After looking at python during the holidays, I finaly decided to take
the big plunge and switch from perl to python :)

Unfortunately, my main task involves writing network
protocols/servers. To this extent, I used to use perl POE
(poe.perl.org), which I think is wonderfull. Perl POE is a framework
that will call methods in response to asynchronous events. Note that
in perl POE evey object can generate asynchronous events, not only
sockets.

For example, I can tell perl POE to run a command line application and
trigger an event when that program either gets killed or if it sends
some text to stdout.

Is there an equivalent module in python? I know that as a last
resource I could live with the asyncore module, but it offers very
little functionality compared to perl POE (poe.perl.org), and it only
deals with sockets.

I saw twisted (www.tsiwtedmatrix.com) that looks like perl POE, but
since there is so little doc/examples I dont know if this is the most
widely used event framework for python.

What do the experts use?

Thanks in advance!
Daniel Shane

Sun, 20 Jun 2004 22:54:37 GMT

2. Python "Best Practice Patterns"

3. Paper online: "Web Framework Shootout"

4. "Invisible Network"

5. Network "APPEND" Problem

6. Installing Terrapin "pcLogo 2" on Network

7. Seek reference on "process network"

8. "Comprehensive Ruby Archive Network"?

9. Win95: inhibit network drive assumption for "//"

10. "suitable networking extension"

11. Update on "neural networking" in TCL