cgi on windows (was Re: What's the best Python GUI package?)
Author Message
 cgi on windows (was Re: What's the best Python GUI package?)

Quote:
>Python (1.4) and Tkinter runs well on all three platforms. I use it for
>programming on Mac, Win95 and LINUX and mostly all programs run without
>changes on all three Operating Systems.

>The main problem I've found is a python problem and not a Tkinter: The
>three platforms have different CGI-Solutions. The Macintosh for example
>uses its own scripting architecture (its a little bit difficult but I was
>able to write some running CGI-Scripts). But on Win95 I wasn't able to run
>any CGI-Script. So - if somebody nows a portable solution please let me
>know.

which web server are you using ? if it is MSIIS, have you noted
the registry settings required (taken from the win/python faq at
http://www.*-*-*.com/ )

[snip]
Python and CGI

     Setting up the Microsoft IIS Server/Peer Server

     On the Microsoft IIS server you set up python in the same way that you
would set up any other scripting
     engine.

     Run regedt32 and go to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\W3SVC\Parameters\Script
Map

     and enter the following line (making any specific changes that your
system may need)

     .py :REG_SZ: c:\<path to python>\python.exe %s %s

     This line will allow you to call your script with a simple reference
like:
     http://yourserver/scripts/yourscript.py

     Setting up the Netscape FastTrack server

     Please follow the instructions at Netscapes documentation on this topic.
[/snip]

If you are using Netscape, then beats me - I had no luck whatsoever
running python scripts with any netscape server and wonder if anyone
is using the two on windows.

chas

Sat, 22 Apr 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 cgi on windows (was Re: What's the best Python GUI package?)

Quote:

>      .py :REG_SZ: c:\<path to python>\python.exe %s %s

It had been suggested here before to use the switches:
-u %s %s
instead of
%s %s

Also, on the issue of cgi and Netscape servers, the subject came up with
setting up Tcl scripts for cgi on a Netscape server.
The following is a quotation that you may want to read:
******************
thanks for the quick reply. I followed your instructions on how to set up
Tcl with NT and IIS and PWS for Win 95
step by step.
but since we use Netscape Enterprise Server as Web-SErver the thing with
the registry didnt work.

This is what I had to do instead:

1) Create an association from NT-Explorer (View-Options-Filetypes) for
the extension .cgt (or your favorite cgi extension) to tell NT to open .cgt
with "/fullpath/tclsh80.exe
%1" (use Python here of course with the instructions above).
2) From the Server Manager of the Enterprise Server create o new MIME
type for .cnt with type "magnus-internal/shellcgi"
(Alternatively one can create a special shellCGI-Directory instead, but
I rather like to place my scripts anywhere.)

Now it works great!!
************************

Well here it is and hop eit works for you too!
Maan
--
Maan M. Hamze

http://wwp.mirabilis.com/1841864

Sat, 22 Apr 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. What's the best Python GUI package?

2. can't not run python cgi script on the windows 2003 via iis6

3. Which is the Best GUI Package ?

4. Starting a python GUI from another python GUI.

5. Starting a python GUI from another python GUI.

6. Python GUI/graphics package recommendation?

7. += doesn't work in python cgi's

8. EXPECT: Retrieving CGI forms without CGI package

9. TCL CGI package for NPH-mode CGI.

10. What's the best free GUI builder for ANSI Common Lisp

11. What's BEST GUI builder for TCL/TK

12. What's a good GUI builder?