Moving Python between machines
Author Message
 Moving Python between machines

Hi,

I've downloaded, compiled and installed Python-2.2 on one of my
Solaris 2.6 Sparc machines and it is working fine. I'd like to move
that installation over to another Solaris 2.6 Sparc machine so I can
use Python2.2 over there, how can I do this easily? I don't have all
of the development tools on the second machine, so I can't
configure/make/install again. I just want to copy what's necessary
from the first machine to the second to get Python2.2 running. Any
help or suggestions would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Doug Farrell

Tue, 22 Jun 2004 01:31:30 GMT
 Moving Python between machines

Quote:
> Hi,

> I've downloaded, compiled and installed Python-2.2 on one of my
> Solaris 2.6 Sparc machines and it is working fine. I'd like to move
> that installation over to another Solaris 2.6 Sparc machine so I can
> use Python2.2 over there, how can I do this easily? I don't have all
> of the development tools on the second machine, so I can't
> configure/make/install again. I just want to copy what's necessary
> from the first machine to the second to get Python2.2 running. Any
> help or suggestions would be most appreciated.

The way many package creation tools do it is by passing a DESTDIR option to the
make install.  This will install into DESTDIR as if it were the root (/).  Then
you just tar it up, copy to the new system and untar into that systems root (/).

mkdir /tmp/python-install
make install DESTDIR=/tmp/python-install
cd /tmp
tar cvf python-2.2.install.tar

Tue, 22 Jun 2004 01:45:59 GMT
 Moving Python between machines

Quote:

> I'd like to move that installation over to another Solaris 2.6 Sparc
> machine so I can use Python2.2 over there, how can I do this easily?

(recursively), to <destprefix>/bin/python and
<destprefix>/lib/python<version>.

It would be good if prefix and destprefix are the same, but they do
not need to be. If they are different, <prefix>/lib/python<version>
should not exist on the target machine.

Also, if you use extension modules, I'd recommend to compile them into
the python binary (using Modules/Setup). If they use further libraries
(like tclxy.so), I also recommend to link those libraries statically;
this, together, will reduce the dependencies of the installation on
additional shared libraries (which you otherwise would need to copy as
well).

HTH,
Martin

Tue, 22 Jun 2004 02:19:19 GMT
 Moving Python between machines
Hello Doug

Quote:

> > I'd like to move that installation over to another Solaris 2.6 Sparc
> > machine so I can use Python2.2 over there, how can I do this easily?

> (recursively), to <destprefix>/bin/python and
> <destprefix>/lib/python<version>.

> It would be good if prefix and destprefix are the same, but they do
> not need to be. If they are different, <prefix>/lib/python<version>
> should not exist on the target machine.

I think if the prefixes differ, you will have to set PYTHONHOME to the
new prefix and PYTHONPATH to a list of the paths where the modules are
now located.

Stefan

Tue, 22 Jun 2004 03:24:27 GMT

1. OE Backup (move from machine to machine)

2. Move C87 app from Win95 to Win2k machine

3. Python creator: Perl users are moving to Python

4. Python time machine and comp.lang.python logos

5. Debuggin embedded python: building device drivers for an embedded python virtual machine

6. Running a Python program on a machine where Python isn't installed

7. Move up/Move down buttons

8. Group level move vs sub-group level move.

9. moving icons when mouse moves, virus?

10. Python snippets site has moved!

11. Python mailing lists are moving!

12. FYI: Python Development Team Moves to BeOpen.com