Questions from a pre-newbie
Author Message
 Questions from a pre-newbie

Hi, everybody.

I know a little programming (fooled around with C++ some years ago and
have been playing a little bit with JavaScript lately). What I've seen
of python after snooping around on the web, I think it should be pretty
easy to learn.

But as I have no experience at all on CGI programming, I'd like to know
how easy it is to do this, and what's needed, both from me and from my
ISP.

Let me give you a concrete example: I'd like to make a script for
password protecting a section of my homesite (see link in my signature)
containing personal info for my friends and family.

I've downloaded and installed Python 1.5.1 for Mac. So, my question is:
What do I do now? Write a program, compile(?), put it (where?) on my
site, does this require that my ISP has Python installed also, etc.
etc...

I'm not asking for a complete course, but I'd like to know how easy this
is, and if I have to contact my ISP ( http://www.*-*-*.com/ ) and ask them
to set up anything.

Or do I have to set up my own server to do things like this?

Please, help me, and convert me into a snake! :-)

Regards,

-----------------------------
n: Jo/rn Sto/ylen

h: http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~stoeylen
icq: 12744345
-----------------------------

Tue, 30 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Questions from a pre-newbie

Quote:

> Hi, everybody.

> I know a little programming (fooled around with C++ some years ago and
> have been playing a little bit with JavaScript lately). What I've seen
> of Python after snooping around on the web, I think it should be pretty
> easy to learn.

> But as I have no experience at all on CGI programming, I'd like to know
> how easy it is to do this, and what's needed, both from me and from my
> ISP.

CGI programming is actually pretty easy, especially with scripting
languages like Python or Perl. There is a ton of material on the web and
on Usenet comp.infosystems.www.authoring.cgi

http://www.python.org/doc/current/lib/module-cgi.html has some good info
in it as well.

Quote:
> Let me give you a concrete example: I'd like to make a script for
> password protecting a section of my homesite (see link in my signature)
> containing personal info for my friends and family.

You don't need CGI for this. I'd recommend using .htaccess -- it's a
better way. http://hoohoo.ncsa.uiuc.edu/docs/tutorials/user.html

Quote:

> I've downloaded and installed Python 1.5.1 for Mac. So, my question is:
> What do I do now? Write a program, compile(?), put it (where?) on my
> site, does this require that my ISP has Python installed also, etc.
> etc...

Here is a minimal CGI program in python. Assuming that your ISP has
given you CGI access, and they have Python installed on their server,
you are good to go.

#!/usr/local/bin/python
import cgi
cgi.test()

Quote:

> I'm not asking for a complete course, but I'd like to know how easy this
> is, and if I have to contact my ISP (http://www.eunet.no) and ask them
> to set up anything.

Ask them to set you up with CGI access.

Quote:
> Or do I have to set up my own server to do things like this?

No definitely not.

Quote:
> Please, help me, and convert me into a snake! :-)

poof-you-are-a-snake

Alex Rice

Tue, 30 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Pre-Newbie Question

2. Pre-newbie questions about Apple Dylan

4. pre-newbie needs help

5. Pre-newbie stuck on the on-deck circle

6. Pre-pre-registration for Ruby Conference 2002

7. Not a newbie, but a newbie question...

8. Trivial Newbie Question (Newbie)

9. Clarion 4 Beta Pre-Purchase Questions

10. question about pre- & post-conditions

11. colorForth antecedents / pre-parsing questions

12. Newbis question - Pre-defined classes & modules