NEWBIE question:Python or perl?
Author Message
 NEWBIE question:Python or perl?

Hello.

Im considering learning either python or perl.
Can anyone tell me why I should take python instead of perl?
Thank you in advace.

Fri, 19 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 NEWBIE question:Python or perl?

Quote:

http://www.python.org/doc/Comparisons.html
--
Steinar

Fri, 19 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 NEWBIE question:Python or perl?

(Franz Kaufmann) uttered:

Quote:
>Can anyone tell me why I should take python instead of perl?

- Better OO (Perl 5's is just references plus tie and bless)
- Better newsgroup (this one) :-) , with less flamewars related to
other languages than clpm.

--
"I had to upgrade the memory of my 8088 from to 256K to 640K just to play [Demon's Winter]."

Tor Iver Wilhelmsen        http://www.pvv.org/%7etoriver/

Fri, 19 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 NEWBIE question:Python or perl?

Quote:

> Hello.

> Im considering learning either python or perl.
> Can anyone tell me why I should take python instead of perl?
> Thank you in advace.

All of the other comments are correct. But obviously there are a lot of
people who like Perl.
My opinion, that you should install both, and spend 2 or 3 days
experimenting with both. And than make up your own mind.
  Actually since I learned Python, I find that all other languages pale
compared to it. (Personal opinion.) In compiled languages I find Ada
almost as nice, but there is only one Python.
(This is a highly subjective prejudiced opinion. :-) )

--
 Lengyel Sndor

Hass, alkoss, gyarapits,
S a haza fnyre derl. (K?lcsey)

Fri, 19 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 NEWBIE question:Python or perl?

                        .
                        .
                        .
Quote:
>> I=B4m considering learning either python or perl.
>> Can anyone tell me why I should take python instead of perl?
>> Thank you in advace.

>All of the other comments are correct. But obviously there are a lot of
>people who like Perl.
>My opinion, that you should install both, and spend 2 or 3 days
>experimenting with both. And than make up your own mind.

                        .
                        .
                        .
Seconded.  You can reasonably expect to download
and install the Python and Perl packages in under
an hour, and certainly one of the charms of these
scripting languages is that even tiny programs
can do useful things for you.  You can gain a
meaningful "feel" for the languages with a modest
investment of your own time.  Moreover, much of
the difference between these two is at the level
of style, as several of the references already
offered make clear.  You'll ultimately need to
judge for yourself how well each matches your own
development habits.
--

Cameron Laird           http://starbase.neosoft.com/~claird/home.html

Mon, 22 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. newbie questions (Python vs. Perl)

2. Python and Perl (was: converting perl to python)

3. Newbie question: tcl vs perl and tkMotif vs tkX

4. newbie question : Config Script for Python (similar to what Perl Diver does for Perl and the output of the phpinfo() handler does for PHP) ?

5. python parsing question from a python newbie (though coding for 10 years)

6. Yet another Python vs. Perl speed issue/question

7. Python questions from C/Perl/Java programmer

8. perl to python, case + regular expression question

9. Moving from perl to python: questions

10. converting perl to python - simple questions.

11. URL Redirect PERL - Python Question