web page programs
Author Message
 web page programs

Hey Guys,

I'm going to attempt to make a client side web page program that will ask
the user to input some simple information (through text entries, list boxes,
etc.) and it will then save the information to a file. At that point some
computation will be performed on the data and the output shown, as a
webpage.

How would I go about doing this, if it is at all possible?
Would it be possible to send the information via the post method to a python
script?

Thanks,

Thu, 06 Nov 2003 09:23:48 GMT
 web page programs

:Hey Guys,
:
:I'm going to attempt to make a client side web page program that will ask
:the user to input some simple information (through text entries, list boxes,
:etc.) and it will then save the information to a file. At that point some
:computation will be performed on the data and the output shown, as a
:webpage.
:
:How would I go about doing this, if it is at all possible?
:Would it be possible to send the information via the post method to a Python
:script?

It is certainly possible to do this. You should use the cgi module that comes
with the standard Python distribution. You need not concern yourself with what
method is used to get the information from the script. However, when you write
your form for your web page, POST is certainly a good method. But as far as
writing the cgi script in Python, if you use the cgi module, it will
automatically handle things for you, regardless of what method is used.

Here are the basics for writing cgi scripts in Python:
http://www.python.org/topics/web/basic-cgi.html

You are welcome to look at a script that I wrote, called GypsyMail. It is here:
http://www.thinkspot.net/sheila/computers/software/gypsymail.html

It doesn't write the info to a file. It composes an email and sends the email
out. However, there may be things there, that would help you with some parts of
what you are trying to do.

--
Sheila King
http://www.thinkspot.net/sheila/

Thu, 06 Nov 2003 09:31:24 GMT
 web page programs
I should of been more specific. This program will not be ran from a server,
I'm just using the web page as a prototype GUI (so to speak).

Quote:

in

> :Hey Guys,
> :
> :I'm going to attempt to make a client side web page program that will ask
> :the user to input some simple information (through text entries, list
boxes,
> :etc.) and it will then save the information to a file. At that point some
> :computation will be performed on the data and the output shown, as a
> :webpage.
> :
> :How would I go about doing this, if it is at all possible?
> :Would it be possible to send the information via the post method to a
Python
> :script?

> It is certainly possible to do this. You should use the cgi module that
comes
> with the standard Python distribution. You need not concern yourself with
what
> method is used to get the information from the script. However, when you
write
> your form for your web page, POST is certainly a good method. But as far
as
> writing the cgi script in Python, if you use the cgi module, it will
> automatically handle things for you, regardless of what method is used.

> Here are the basics for writing cgi scripts in Python:
> http://www.python.org/topics/web/basic-cgi.html

> You are welcome to look at a script that I wrote, called GypsyMail. It is
here:
> http://www.thinkspot.net/sheila/computers/software/gypsymail.html

> It doesn't write the info to a file. It composes an email and sends the
email
> out. However, there may be things there, that would help you with some
parts of
> what you are trying to do.

> --
> Sheila King
> http://www.thinkspot.net/sheila/
> http://www.k12groups.org/

Thu, 06 Nov 2003 10:03:34 GMT
 web page programs
...so you mean not an internet app, but just an app that displays an html
page in it's window?
if so, i think that most gui toolkits have a simple control that will do it.
(eg. wxHtmlWindow in wxWindows, ..something else in Tkinter, etc..)

Thu, 06 Nov 2003 11:14:57 GMT
 web page programs
Yeah the main window for the program will display the webpage, and from
there you'll enter information into the database. I just have to figure out
how to get the information from the web page fields to the database w/o
using a server.

Quote:
> ...so you mean not an internet app, but just an app that displays an html
> page in it's window?
> if so, i think that most gui toolkits have a simple control that will do
it.
> (eg. wxHtmlWindow in wxWindows, ..something else in Tkinter, etc..)

Thu, 06 Nov 2003 11:29:35 GMT
 web page programs

:...so you mean not an internet app, but just an app that displays an html
:page in it's window?
:if so, i think that most gui toolkits have a simple control that will do it.
:(eg. wxHtmlWindow in wxWindows, ..something else in Tkinter, etc..)

I think it would be easier to run a simple web server on the machine, and run
the app as a cgi script, than to learn wxWindows or Tkinter.

--
Sheila King
http://www.thinkspot.net/sheila/
http://www.k12groups.org/

Thu, 06 Nov 2003 11:23:04 GMT
 web page programs
Thanks for all the help guys. I appreciate it.

Quote:
> Yeah the main window for the program will display the webpage, and from
> there you'll enter information into the database. I just have to figure
out
> how to get the information from the web page fields to the database w/o
> using a server.

> > ...so you mean not an internet app, but just an app that displays an
html
> > page in it's window?
> > if so, i think that most gui toolkits have a simple control that will do
> it.
> > (eg. wxHtmlWindow in wxWindows, ..something else in Tkinter, etc..)

Thu, 06 Nov 2003 21:12:43 GMT

1. Opening a web page with a CW4. program

2. Programming related web page

3. New web page about programming

4. ICI programming language web pages

5. Learn to program or write web pages on line

6. Question re PL/I program as a web page

7. Check out my new programming web page

8. New Programming Web Page

9. New x86 programming web page

10. New programming web page

11. Web-page|socket|my-ada-program