comp.lang.prolog Frequently Asked Questions
Author Message
 comp.lang.prolog Frequently Asked Questions

Posted-By: auto-faq script
Archive-name: prolog/faq

Version: 1.20

     This article contains the answers to some Frequently Asked
Questions (FAQ) often seen in comp.lang.prolog.  It is posted
(twice a month, currently on the 1st and 16th) to help reduce
volume in this newsgroup and to provide hard-to-find information
of general interest.

     The World Wide Web URL for this FAQ is:
http://www.*-*-*.com/

     This article includes answers to the following questions.

0. General information
1. What is the Association for Logic Programming?
2. Where can I get a public-domain, free Prolog for (the IBM PC,
   the Mac, Unix)?
3. What commercial systems are available?  What about systems
   available for a price from research institutions?
4. How do I get in touch with my Prolog's users' group,
   sales representative, or technical support line?
5. I think language X is better than Prolog.  What do you think?
6. My Prolog prof assigned me this problem.  Can you help
   me with it?
7. Can you suggest some books on Prolog?
8. Are there any FTP archive sites for comp.lang.prolog?
9. How can I get a copy of the draft ISO Prolog standard?
   Where can I go for more information about it?
10. How does the WAM (Warren Abstract Machine) work?  How do I
   write a WAM-based compiler or a WAM emulator?
11. Is there a WWW (World Wide Web) page on logic programming?

     Please forward suggestions for further questions and

Andrews).

Changes in this version:
* Updated entry for Mercury.
* Updated info for Amzi! inc.
* Updated entry for B-Prolog.
* Updated general information.

                        *       *       *

0. General information

     The newsgroup "comp.lang.prolog" discusses the language
Prolog and other "logic programming" languages.  Logic
programming languages, in general, are programming languages
which incorporate some of the language of mathematical logic;
unification and backtracking search are common operational
features.  For more background information about Prolog, see the
list of books in Question 7 of this list.

     To cut down on unnecessary postings to comp.lang.prolog,
whenever I see a question there that is answered by the FAQ
list, I (Jamie) try to respond to the questioner by e-mail,
quoting the relevant section of this list.

                        *       *       *

1. What is the Association for Logic Programming?

     To keep up with the current state of logic programming
technology, readers can join the Association for Logic
Programming (ALP) and receive their Newsletter.  For details on
how to join, contact:

        Cheryl Anderson,
        ALP Administrative Secretary,
        Dept. of Computing,
        Imperial College,
        180 Queen's Gate,
        London, SW7 2BZ, UK

Fax:    +44 71 589 1552
Phone:  +44 71 589 5111 x5011

     The Prolog Resource Guide (v0.6) was printed in issue 5/1
of the Newsletter (Feb. 1992). This lists information concerning
Prolog Archives, Books, Suppliers, etc.  It is now maintained by

posted periodically to comp.lang.prolog (see question 3).

     To send in Newsletter contributions, write to:

        Andrew Davison,
        Dept. of Computer Science,
        University of Melbourne,
        Parkville,
        Melbourne, Victoria 3052,
        AUSTRALIA

Fax:    +61 3 348 1184
Phone:  +61 3 344 7207 / 5230
Telex:   AA 35185

                        *       *       *

2. Where can I get a public-domain, free Prolog for (the IBM PC,
   the Mac, Unix)?

     The following are anonymous-FTP sites for free Prologs
which are either in the public domain or are "copy-lefted"
(permitted to be copied with some restrictions on commercial use).

     [Please see Mark Kantrowitz's monthly "Prolog Resource
Guide" posting (see question 3) for information about non-free
implementations.]

     (Please note that for extensive development work, users
will probably want a robust interpreter or compiler with good
debugging facilities and a standard syntax, among other things.
While public-domain systems are a valuable service to the
community, they do not necessarily have all these things, and
users should weigh carefully what they want to do against the
capabilities and costs of the available systems.)

For the IBM PC:
- BinProlog 3.45, anonymous FTP from clement.info.umoncton.ca
  (139.103.16.2), directory BinProlog.  Compiler for 386/486
  machines (DOS + Windows 3.1), R6000.

- Anonymous FTP from aisun1.ai.uga.edu, directory ai.prolog;
  download "Contents" first.  ADA Prolog and ESL Prolog.

- SWI Prolog, anonymous FTP from swi.psy.uva.nl (145.18.114.17),
  directory pub/SWI-Prolog; or from ftp.th-darmstadt.de
  (130.83.55.75), directory pub/programming/languages/prolog.
  Windows application available.  Portable, copy-lefted.
- PIE2, available on CompuServe in the AIEXPERT forum,
  interpreter and examples in PIE2.ZIP, documentation in

- XSB, system with SLG-resolution, HiLog syntax, and unification
  factoring.  Compiler for many platforms including SunOS, Linux,
  and Windows.  Anonymous FTP from ftp.cs.sunysb.edu (130.245.1.40),

For the Apple Macintosh:
- Anonymous FTP from aisun1.ai.uga.edu, directory ai.prolog;
  download "Contents" first.  Demo version of LPA MacProlog.

- Open Prolog, anonymous FTP from its home site: ftp.cs.tcd.ie,
  directory pub/languages/open-prolog.
  Also available from sumex-aim.stanford.edu, directory

- UPMAIL Tricia Prolog, anonymous FTP from ftp.csd.uu.se
  (130.238.12.1), directory pub/Tricia; get README first.

- TPM (the Transparent Prolog Machine), anonymous FTP from
  hcrl.open.ac.uk, directory /pub/software.  Demo LPA
  MacProlog with the TPM de{*filter*} built on top.

For Unix systems:
- BinProlog 3.45, anonymous FTP from clement.info.umoncton.ca
  (139.103.16.2), directory BinProlog.  Compiler for SPARC
  (SunOS 4.x + Solaris), DEC Alpha, MIPS, NeXT, Sun3.

- SWI Prolog, anonymous FTP from swi.psy.uva.nl (145.18.114.17),
  directory pub/SWI-Prolog; or from ftp.th-darmstadt.de
  (130.83.55.75), directory pub/programming/languages/prolog.
  Portable, copy-lefted.
- Modular SB-Prolog (= SB-Prolog version 3.1 plus modules),
  anonymous FTP from ftp.dcs.ed.ac.uk (129.215.160.5), file
  pub/dts/mod-prolog.tar.Z .  Interpreter for SPARC.

- ALF (Algebraic Logic Functional language), WAM-based language
  with narrowing/rewriting, anonymous FTP from ftp.germany.eu.net,
  directory "pub/programming/languages/LogicFunctional".

- CLP(R), available by e-mail request from Joxan Jaffar,

  for academic and research purposes only.
- Aquarius Prolog 1.0, send message with body "get aquarius-info

  commercial functionality except debugging and modules.  For
  SPARC, DECstation, MIPS, HP 9000 series, Sun 3.  Copy-lefted.
- XSB, system with SLG-resolution, HiLog syntax, and unification
  factoring.  Compiler for many platforms including SunOS, Linux,
  and Windows.  Anonymous FTP from ftp.cs.sunysb.edu (130.245.1.40),

- wamcc, anonymous FTP from ftp.inria.fr, directory
  "/INRIA/Projects/ChLoE/LOGIC_PROGRAMMING/wamcc".  Compiler which
  translates Prolog to C via WAM.  De{*filter*}s.  Requires GNU C
  v.2.4.5 or higher.  Contact: daniel.diaz!inria.fr (Daniel Diaz).
- clp(FD), anonymous FTP from ftp.inria.fr, directory
  "/INRIA/Projects/ChLoE/LOGIC_PROGRAMMING/clp_fd".  Constraint
  logic programming over finite domains.  Requires GNU C v.2.4.5
  or higher.  Contact: daniel.diaz!inria.fr (Daniel Diaz).
- KLIC, anonymous FTP from ftp.icot.or.jp, file name
  "/ifs/symbolic-proc/unix/klic/klic.tgz".  ICOT Free
  Software.  Concurrent logic programming.  Tested on Sparcs,

- B-Prolog 2.0, anonymous ftp from ftp.kyutech.ac.jp
  (131.206.1.101), directory pub/Language/prolog. Portable,

- Argo Prolog v.1.1, anonymous ftp from ftp.csk.co.jp, directory
  "/pub/CSK/argo_prolog".  Runs on Solaris 1.x and HP-UX 9.x.

- Mercury v0.5.1, anonymous ftp from turiel.cs.mu.oz.au,
  directory "/pub/mercury".  See http://www.*-*-*.com/
  Runs on Solaris, SunOS, IRIX 5.x, HPUX, ULTRIX, AIX, Linux, and
  Windows 95.

                        *       *       *

3. What commercial systems are available?  What about systems
   available for a price from research institutions?

     Many commercial systems are listed in the periodically
posted Prolog Resource Guide.  The Resource Guide also lists
many systems which are not exactly "commercial", but available
for a price from research instutitions.  The list of such
systems was originally compiled by Chris Moss, of Imperial
College.  The rest of the Resource Guide was originally compiled
by Dag Wahlberg, of Uppsala University.

     The Resource Guide is now maintained by the kind efforts

posts it ON THE 14TH OF EVERY MONTH on comp.lang.prolog.  It is
also available by anonymous FTP from "ftp.cs.cmu.edu"
[128.2.206.173] in the directory
"/afs/cs.cmu.edu/project/ai-repository-3/ai/lang/prolog/faq",
as the files "prg_1.faq" and "prg_2.faq".

     Readers should also note that the newly formed Prolog
Vendors' Group is contactable electronically via the Secretary,

                        *       *       *

4. How do I get in touch with my Prolog's users' group,
   sales representative, or technical support line?

     Here are some e-mail addresses of these contacts, listed
alphabetically by company or major product name.  Please note
that sometimes phoning or writing to the company will get better
response than e-mail.

ALS (Applied Logic Systems):

Amzi! inc.:

COSYTEC (CHIP V4):

ECLiPSe and Sepia:

Expert Systems Ltd. (Prolog-2):

LPA:

PDC Prolog:

ProLog by BIM:

Quintus:

SICStus:

Turbo Prolog:
  Turbo Prolog is the older name for PDC Prolog (see above).

                        *       *       *

5. I think language X is better than Prolog.  What do you think?

     These debates rarely result in any productive discussion.
To some extent, one's favourite language is based on irrational
ideology.

     However, many people now agree that different languages are
good for different things.  Prolog seems to be good for problems
in which logic is intimately involved, or whose solutions have a
succinct logical characterization.  Like other interactive,
symbolic languages, Prolog is also good for rapid prototyping.

     Also, please note that there are many different "Prologs"
and other logic programming languages available, all with
different capabilities.

                        *       *       *

6. My Prolog prof assigned me this problem.  Can you help
   me with it?

     If your instructor assigned it to you, he or she probably
wanted you to do it yourself.  If it's an introductory Prolog
course, your question might be elementary to most readers, so it
might be a waste of network resources to ask it.  Please ask
your instructor, a friend, a teaching assistant, or a local
newsgroup for help first.

     That being said, there are comp.lang.prolog readers who
would be glad to help people making a legitimate attempt to
learn Prolog.

                        *       *       *

7. Can you suggest some books on Prolog?

     The Prolog Resource Guide (see above, question 3) contains
a listing of Prolog books.  It is maintained by Mark Kantrowitz

on comp.lang.prolog.

     Here are some of the most popular books on Prolog.

_Programming in Prolog_.  William F. Clocksin and Christopher S.
Mellish.  Springer-Verlag, 1994 (4th ed).  (Introductory.)

_The Art of Prolog:  Advanced Programming Techniques_.  Leon
Sterling and Ehud Shapiro.  MIT Press, 1994 (2nd ed).  (Advanced.)

_The Craft of Prolog_.  Richard A. O'Keefe.  MIT Press, 1990.
(Advanced.)

_Foundations of Logic Programming_.  John Lloyd.
Springer-Verlag, 1988 (2nd ed).  (Logic programming theory.)

                        *       *       *

8. Are there any FTP archive sites for comp.lang.prolog?

     Yes.  As of the latest check, the following archive sites
contain selected recent articles from comp.lang.prolog in the
indicated directories.

"cs.dal.ca": /pub/comp.archives/comp.lang.prolog
"info2.rus.uni-stuttgart.de":
  /pub/comm/news/archive/comp.archives/auto/comp.lang.prolog

     Some other sites contain copies of this FAQ list and the
Prolog Resource Guide (see question 3).  For users with "archie"
access, type "archie comp.lang.prolog" for an up-to-date list of
sites having either archives or the periodic postings.

                        *       *       *

9. How can I get a copy of the draft ISO Prolog standard?
   Where can I go for more information about it?

     You can pick up a copy by anonymous FTP from site
"ai.uga.edu", directory "/pub/prolog.standard".  The directory
also contains a summary of the standard, by Michael Covington,
in the "isoprolog" files.  Note that no one at that site can
answer any questions about the standard; it is just an FTP site
for the standard in the USA.

     A copy of Richard O'Keefe's Prolog standard draft from 1984
is available from "ftp.ecrc.de", file /pub/eclipse/std/plstd.doc".

     For more information about the ISO Prolog standard, contact

Roger Scowen
ISO/IEC JTC1 SC22 WG17 (Prolog) convener,
DITC/93,  National Physical Laboratory
TEDDINGTON, Middlesex TW11 0LW
UNITED KINGDOM
Tel: +44 81 943 6956
Fax: +44 81 977 7091

                        *       *       *

10. How does the WAM (Warren Abstract Machine) work?  How do I
   write a WAM-based compiler or a WAM emulator?

     Reportedly the best tutorial is Hassan Ait-Kaci's book
_Warren's Abstract Machine: A Tutorial Reconstruction_ (MIT
Press, 1991).  A public-domain WAM emulator, written in C++ by
Herve Touati, is available by anonymous FTP at site
"gatekeeper.dec.com", in directory "pub/plan/prolog/ucb".

                        *       *       *

11. Is there a WWW (World Wide Web) page on logic programming?

     Yes, there is one by Jonathan Bowen; the URL is
" http://www.*-*-*.com/ ;.

relevant information for inclusion.

                        *       *       *

Acknowledgements

     Thank you to all the people who helped put together the
first version of this FAQ, and everyone who has contributed to
it over the years.  Special thanks to John Dowding for
suggesting a good format for the list, and to Chris Moss, Dag
Wahlberg, and Mark Kantrowitz for their work on the Prolog
Resource Guide.

--Jamie Andrews.

Mon, 05 Jul 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. comp.lang.prolog Frequently Asked Questions

2. comp.lang.prolog Frequently Asked Questions