Visual Prolog and Visual C++ - Capabilities Comparison
Author Message
 Visual Prolog and Visual C++ - Capabilities Comparison

>In other words, are there any tasks which Visual C++ can perform, but
Visual
>Prolog CANNOT perform ?

You'll probably find that quite a lot of "low-level" stuff is absent in
Visual Prolog. Most likely you'll need a C/C++ package to interface to if
you're going to develop complex, highly professional applications in Visual
Prolog. But don't be put off: Visual Prolog is a very fine product, with
which most applications can be built.

Daniel

Sun, 13 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Visual Prolog and Visual C++ - Capabilities Comparison

>>In other words, are there any tasks which Visual C++ can perform, but
>>Visual Prolog CANNOT perform ?

>You'll probably find that quite a lot of "low-level" stuff is absent in
>Visual Prolog. Most likely you'll need a C/C++ package to interface to if
>you're going to develop complex, highly professional applications in Visual
>Prolog. But don't be put off: Visual Prolog is a very fine product, with
>which most applications can be built.

Could you give an example of the sort of "low-level" stuff that is absent
in Visual Prolog?

--

WWW: <http://www.cs.mu.oz.au/~fjh>  |   but source code lives forever"

Mon, 14 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Visual Prolog and Visual C++ - Capabilities Comparison

Quote:

>Could you give an example of the sort of "low-level" stuff that is absent
>in Visual Prolog?

For example, there isn't an interface to the keyboard driver, which is
important for producing localized versions of an application.

Daniel

Mon, 14 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Visual Prolog and Visual C++ - Capabilities Comparison
While I'm no expert on localizing apps, I don't think you'd  need access to
the driver (at least for Windows); Possibly some Windows API's which most
you could access if you're familiar with them. As for other shortcomings;
The current VIP version doesn't support COM; which has little to do with
your question about C++ unless your using VC++ and Windows again.  An
upcoming version should have some COM support which I look forward to.
Anything else you couldn't do in VIP you could write in C/C++ and link into
your project.

Brad

--

Free ActiveX Controls:
xStrings - Useful string methods and Regular Expressions!

>>Could you give an example of the sort of "low-level" stuff that is absent
>>in Visual Prolog?

>For example, there isn't an interface to the keyboard driver, which is
>important for producing localized versions of an application.

>Daniel

Tue, 22 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Visual Prolog and Visual C++ - Capabilities Comparison

Quote:

>While I'm no expert on localizing apps, I don't think you'd  need access to
>the driver (at least for Windows); Possibly some Windows API's which most
>you could access if you're familiar with them.

This is correct: an API call is used to access the driver, not a direct call
to the driver.

Daniel

Thu, 24 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. calling Visual C++ or Prolog calling Visual C++

2. how to call visual prolog to visual c++?

3. Need Visual Age, Visual Works, and Visual Wave Smalltalk mentors and developers and C++ designers/developers

4. visual ada / visual basic comparisons needed

5. Prolog and C (or C++ or visual C++)

6. C++ vs. Visual Basic Comparison

7. visual basic versus visual c++

8. Mixing Compaq Visual Fortran 6 with Microsoft Visual C++ .NET

9. using Intel Visual Fortran with Visual C++ 2005 Express

10. passing a CString array from visual c++ exe file to visual fortra n DLL file

11. Question on using Compaq Visual FORTRAN with Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0

12. PDC Visual Prolog and VIsual Basic