Tableau proofs - 1st order logics
Author Message
 Tableau proofs - 1st order logics

hi,

wonder if anyone could tell me if there already exists any program to
'help' in the solving of first order logics. I am currently involved
in writing a windows based graphical aid in solving these 1st OL's.

Originally my spec was that this aid should be able to examine the
statments and simply implement whatever rules the user try to use. the
program does NOT need to be able to help in picking the right
direction to go but just recognise which are valid ones and then apply
them.

Since then it has been changed so that it should  just use tableau
proofs. These are graphical by nature and as such the program should
be able to implement the 'trees'.... some how.

Anyway.. just wondering if anyone knows of anything like this already
around, or just if anyone has any sugestions one way or the other.

Michael

Ps:- I'm having trouble picking a language, Visual Basic, visual C,
microsoft C... scratch head... any ideas?

Mon, 13 Apr 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Tableau proofs - 1st order logics

Quote:
>hi,

>wonder if anyone could tell me if there already exists any program to
>'help' in the solving of first order logics. I am currently involved
>in writing a windows based graphical aid in solving these 1st OL's.
>Since then it has been changed so that it should  just use tableau
>proofs. These are graphical by nature and as such the program should
>be able to implement the 'trees'.... some how.

In 1988 - 89, the audio-visual department at Oxford University had a
tableau - based graphical program for teaching logic. I do not remember
who was involved, but I think one person was Dr Michael Potter, who was
then at Lady Margaret Hall. Also, MAYBE, Dr Will Newton-Smith, of
Balliol. Could possible try Jonathan Bowen, of the PRG,  who maintains
a Web page at

        http://gruffle.comlab.ox.ac.uk/archive/logic-prog.html

Hope this helps
Michael

Tue, 14 Apr 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. 1st order logic question about Kleene star operator

2. 1st Order Temporal Logic

3. How do you strip leading zeros so that 1st significant digit will occupy 1st position

4. tableau excel

5. passage d'un tableau de cluster a une DLL

6. tableaux methods for classic logic

7. looking for classical tableau method

8. Call for Participation: CADE-18 / TABLEAUX 2002

9. FTP 2000 and TABLEAUX 2000 - Call for Participation

10. CADE-15 Tutorial 'Clause Normalform Tableaux'

11. Semantic Tableaux

12. CFParticipation: 4th WS on Analytic Tableaux and Related Methods