Prolog and C (or C++ or visual C++) 
Author Message
 Prolog and C (or C++ or visual C++)

Hello,

I would like to know if it exists a way to implement Prolog inside C (or
C++ or Visual C++) programs.

Or does it exist another Programming language which can call Prolog
programs or support prolog prolog programs.

Thanx a lot.



Fri, 16 Jul 1999 03:00:00 GMT  
 Prolog and C (or C++ or visual C++)


Quote:

> Hello,

> I would like to know if it exists a way to implement Prolog inside C (or
> C++ or Visual C++) programs.

Amzi! Prolog has a Logic Server API(DLL) that can
be called from inside several languages including
C and C++.

Try www.amzi.com

Amzi! seems to be more in tune with practical
market needs than the other Prolog vendors.

--
Alan Engel
ISTA, Inc., 950 Conestoga Road, Rosemont, PA 19010-1347 USA
Tel: 800-430-5727, 610-527-4538, Fax: 610-527-2041



Fri, 16 Jul 1999 03:00:00 GMT  
 Prolog and C (or C++ or visual C++)

I use SWI Prolog for interfacing prolog to C and reverse.
I'm tthinking of trying binprolog which ssseams to have
much better support for client-server and tcp/ip stream support.
Oori Hasson



Fri, 16 Jul 1999 03:00:00 GMT  
 Prolog and C (or C++ or visual C++)

... and LPA offer an "Intelligence Server", a similar concept but with a
simpler, portable interface.

clive spenser
marketing director
lpa ltd
studio 4, rvpb,                         http://www.lpa.co.uk
trinity road, london               fax: +44 (0) 181 874 0449
sw18 3sx, england                  tel: +44 (0) 181 871 2016



Sun, 18 Jul 1999 03:00:00 GMT  
 Prolog and C (or C++ or visual C++)


Quote:

> Hello,

> I would like to know if it exists a way to implement Prolog inside C (or
> C++ or Visual C++) programs.

> Or does it exist another Programming language which can call Prolog
> programs or support prolog prolog programs.

> Thanx a lot.

Take a look at Visual Prolog.
You can interface VIP with C and C++ and the other way
around too.
You can also compile VIP programs to DLLs and call these
from your C or C++ program.
You can study Visual Prolog further from http://www.pdc.dk

Rgds,
Prolog Development Center
Carsten Christoffersen



Sun, 18 Jul 1999 03:00:00 GMT  
 Prolog and C (or C++ or visual C++)

Quote:


>> I would like to know if it exists a way to implement Prolog inside C (or
>> C++ or Visual C++) programs.

>> Or does it exist another Programming language which can call Prolog
>> programs or support prolog prolog programs.

>Take a look at Visual Prolog.
>You can interface VIP with C and C++ and the other way
>around too.
>You can also compile VIP programs to DLLs and call these
>from your C or C++ program.

Well, if we're all going to get into the act...

Take a look at Mercury.  Mercury has a convenient C interface, you can
call Mercury from C/C++ or vice versa, you can even embed inline C code
in your Mercury code.  Using the Windows port (still a beta release at
this stage, I should warn) of Mercury and the GNU-win32 tools you
should be able to compile Mercury libraries to DLLs and link them with
your C/C++ programs.

Of course, Mercury isn't Prolog, but then Visual Prolog isn't Prolog
either ;-)

--

WWW: <http://www.cs.mu.oz.au/~fjh>   |  of excellence is a lethal habit"



Mon, 19 Jul 1999 03:00:00 GMT  
 Prolog and C (or C++ or visual C++)

Quote:

>>> I would like to know if it exists a way to implement Prolog inside C (or
>>> C++ or Visual C++) programs.
>>Take a look at Visual Prolog.
>Well, if we're all going to get into the act...

>Take a look at Mercury.  Mercury has a convenient C interface, you can

It might be my allergy to advertising in general, but I don't really
appreciate the way a couple of people from vendors (actually the worst
isn't in the replys above, but he was the first one to react to this
feature request) reply to any `Can Prolog do this' with `Our XYZ Prolog
can do this'.

This is a fair statement if we are talking about really unconventional
features, but calling C from Prolog and the other way around works in
almost all implementations of Prolog, except for a few `toy' or very old
and not maintained Prologs.

In this case, the answer should have been: `Most Prologs can do what you
want, take a look at the Prolog FAQ at ...', or you can offer your fabulous
Prolog personally by mail.

        Thanks for your attention

                --- Jan

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jan Wielemaker                  Author of SWI-Prolog and the XPCE GUI library
SWI, University of Amsterdam    http://www.swi/usr/jan/SWI-Prolog.html



Mon, 19 Jul 1999 03:00:00 GMT  
 Prolog and C (or C++ or visual C++)

Quote:

> [snip]
> It might be my allergy to advertising in general, but I don't really
> appreciate the way a couple of people from vendors (actually the worst
> isn't in the replys above, but he was the first one to react to this
> feature request) reply to any `Can Prolog do this' with `Our XYZ Prolog
> can do this'.

> This is a fair statement if we are talking about really unconventional
> features, but calling C from Prolog and the other way around works in
> almost all implementations of Prolog, except for a few `toy' or very old
> and not maintained Prologs.

> In this case, the answer should have been: `Most Prologs can do what you
> want, take a look at the Prolog FAQ at ...', or you can offer your fabulous
> Prolog personally by mail.
> [snip]

Well said.  On one hand I'm glad that some of the vendors take the time
to read the newsgroup since that indicates some interest in what those
of us "in the trenches" are actually concerned about.  On the other, it
IS lame to just post a "we do that" message.

It would be useful if they'd provide some depth to the answer ("we do
that, here's how") which _would_ be useful.  In the example Jan gave a
useful answer would describe _how_ that interface is superior or
inferior to that of other vendors.  The web FAQ should answer: What are
the limits?  Does XYZ Prolog have to be the main program?  What C / C++
compilers are supported?  Does it support standard function calls? Does
it support standard memory functions?  Does it require a special
library? Does it support backtracking into a C language predicate?  Does
the C predicate have access to the Prolog heaps?

If vendors provide real answers to the questions they can provide a
valuable service to Usenet _while_ promoting their products.
--Lou



Mon, 19 Jul 1999 03:00:00 GMT  
 Prolog and C (or C++ or visual C++)

Quote:


>>>> I would like to know if it exists a way to implement Prolog inside C (or
>>>> C++ or Visual C++) programs.

>>>Take a look at Visual Prolog.

>>Well, if we're all going to get into the act...

>>Take a look at Mercury.  Mercury has a convenient C interface, you can

>It might be my allergy to advertising in general, but I don't really
>appreciate the way a couple of people from vendors (actually the worst
>isn't in the replys above, but he was the first one to react to this
>feature request) reply to any `Can Prolog do this' with `Our XYZ Prolog
>can do this'.

I agree that rampant advertising is lowering usenet signal to noise to
the point where I mostly read moderated groups only.

Actually, Mercury is significantly different to Prolog, and some members
of the Prolog community have at different times expressed views that
Mercury is not as expressive as Prolog and can't (in some sense) do all
the things that Prolog can. For this reason we have taken pains to
highlight that Mercury is at least as expressive as Prolog in many
respects.

Also Mercury is not a commercial product - it is freely available under
the terms of the GPL.

Thomas
(maybe we need a comp.lang.mercury.advocacy for followups ;-)
--

AD DEUM ET VINUM          "Thomas Tallis is dead, and muic dies." - William Byrd



Mon, 19 Jul 1999 03:00:00 GMT  
 Prolog and C (or C++ or visual C++)

Quote:

>I agree that rampant advertising is lowering usenet signal to noise to
>the point where I mostly read moderated groups only.

>Actually, Mercury is significantly different to Prolog, and some members
>of the Prolog community have at different times expressed views that
>Mercury is not as expressive as Prolog and can't (in some sense) do all
>the things that Prolog can. For this reason we have taken pains to
>highlight that Mercury is at least as expressive as Prolog in many
>respects.

>Also Mercury is not a commercial product - it is freely available under
>the terms of the GPL.

Regarding the size of the logic-programming community in general, there is
nothing wrong having discussions about Mercury or other systems that are
not (ISO :-) Prolog in this group.  There even isn't anything wrong with
Amzi! or any other Prolog vendor announcing there great new release (brief
highlight of the new features, HTTP for further reference) if they have
something important to say.

However, we must (to my humble opinion) avoid every feature-request to
be followed up by vendors telling they can do it, especially if it
concerns features supported by most implementations. This, to me, is as
annoying and informative as Persil telling me 5 times an hour they are
washing the whitest.

        Cheers --- Jan

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jan Wielemaker                  Author of SWI-Prolog and the XPCE GUI library
SWI, University of Amsterdam    http://www.swi/usr/jan/SWI-Prolog.html



Tue, 20 Jul 1999 03:00:00 GMT  
 Prolog and C (or C++ or visual C++)

Quote:

>However, we must (to my humble opinion) avoid every feature-request to
>be followed up by vendors telling they can do it, especially if it
>concerns features supported by most implementations. This, to me, is as
>annoying and informative as Persil telling me 5 times an hour they are
>washing the whitest.

Hang on.  The question was asked in the first place, so obviously
some people aren't familiar with most implementations.  A response such
as "Yes, ours has that" is appropriately succinct and useful.

P.S.  Being from another part of the world, I have naturally not heard
of this "Persil".  Are there any other products that have similar
features?  ;)
--
---------------------------------------
My  Karma  just  ran  over  your  Dogma
---------------------------------------



Wed, 21 Jul 1999 03:00:00 GMT  
 
 [ 13 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. calling Visual C++ or Prolog calling Visual C++

2. to CS: or not to CS: in F-PC assembler

3. Visual Prolog and Visual C++ - Capabilities Comparison

4. how to call visual prolog to visual c++?

5. Prolog as Intro CS Language

6. Request advice about C++ and Visual C++ topics

7. Calling Ada from C++ (MS Visual C++)

8. Borland C++ vs Visual C++

9. linker error (passing a string from F77 to C++ with Visual C++ 6.0 and CVF 6.6)

10. Indianapolis, Ada (or C++ or Visual C++) and SQL, Oracle

11. FORTRAN and C/C++ in Microsoft Visual C++ 1.51 and MS PowerStation

12. interactive console in a Win95 C++ app useing Visual C++

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software