Standards for Object-oriented programming in Prolog
Author Message
 Standards for Object-oriented programming in Prolog

If Prolog is to remain viable in the commercial world, we need a
standard for Object-Oriented Programming (OOP) in Prolog.
I believe the ISO Prolog standard does not address this issue.
In the interconnected world, for any language to have a future
it will have to implement standards such as the Common Object
Request Broker Architecture (CORBA).

Ron Ferguson

Sun, 18 Jul 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Standards for Object-oriented programming in Prolog

Quote:
>If Prolog is to remain viable in the commercial world, we need a
>standard for Object-Oriented Programming (OOP) in Prolog.
>I believe the ISO Prolog standard does not address this issue.
>In the interconnected world, for any language to have a future
>it will have to implement standards such as the Common Object
>Request Broker Architecture (CORBA).

Looking at the past history of the Prolog ISO standard (part II, modules,
is still not completed) I don't believe that we will see any kind of
standard for OOP in Prolog in the near future. Most people probably
expect/want other aspects of the Prolog language to be standardized first
like DGCs and foreign language interfaces. Regarding CORBA, I think that
don't belong in any Prolog standard, even in a possible OOP extension; a
clean and standard way to interface to other programming languages could
provide a better solution to this (so we don't have to change the standard
every time the CORBA specification is updated).

There are  currently available more than a dozen object-oriented extensions
to Prolog (for instance, take a look at
<http://www.ci.uc.pt/oolpr/oolpr.html>). Each one following its own
philosophy about the meaning of objects and messages in logic programming.
Getting all the people working in OOP in Prolog to agree in something
equivalent to CLOS for Prolog will be nice but for that to happen I'm
afraid that we will need more support from the underlying Prolog compiler
for things like encapsulation. This of course meaning a revision to the
Prolog ISO standard... I'm considering the possibility of working on this
subject for my Ph.D. thesis so any comments on the problems raised above
are most welcomed.

Regards,

Paulo

Paulo Moura
Dep. of Mathematics, University of Coimbra, Portugal

http://www.ci.uc.pt/logtalk/pmoura.html

Mon, 19 Jul 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Standards for Object-oriented programming in Prolog

Paulo Moura wrote wrt a message that I posted :

Quote:
> Regarding CORBA, I think that
> don't belong in any Prolog standard, even in a possible OOP extension; a
> clean and standard way to interface to other programming languages could
> provide a better solution to this (so we don't have to change the standard
> every time the CORBA specification is updated).

I agree with this. I just believe that one should consider the ease
of interfacing with standards such as CORBA if one is designing
an OOP extension to Prolog and one is concerned about interoperability
with imperative programming languages. For instance, I like the
'objected-oriented' extensions in LIFE <http://www.isg.sfu.ca/life/>.
I find LIFE's extensions to be nicely declarative. However,
it might be awkward to interface LIFE with CORBA.

Regards,

Ron Ferguson

Tue, 27 Jul 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. object-oriented logic programming and prolog.

2. SUMMARY 2 : Prolog and object-oriented programming

3. Object-Oriented Programming in Prolog References

4. ANNOUNCEMENT: Object-Oriented Systems - new object-oriented journal

5. ANNOUNCEMENT: Object-Oriented Systems - new object-oriented journal

6. Looking for Object-Oriented SWI-Prolog

7. Object-oriented Prolog

8. Object Oriented Prolog

9. ANNOUNCE: Logtalk - free object-oriented extension to Prolog

10. Object-Oriented PROLOG?

11. Parallel Object Oriented Prolog

12. Object oriented extensions to Prolog