estimating performance of rule based / knowledge based system
Author Message
 estimating performance of rule based / knowledge based system

We're evaluating some ideas about how to get a software development
environment to behave more "intelligently," through enhancing its data
model and adding some inference/rule-processing capability to individual
tools and to the user shell.  One criterion in evaluating these ideas is
performance.

I need some info on how to estimate the performance of a hypothetical
rule-based / knowledge-based system.  I welcome pointers, references to
papers/books, or off-the-cuff remarks.

o Are there any books or papers which discuss how to design
  rule-based/knowledge-based systems such that the performance
  characteristics are good?

o What factors influence the performance of such a system?  (EG language
  choice, size of rule base, etc, etc?)

o What things are Really Bad Ideas -- a novice might think of trying it,
  but it would become really expensive?

o Where could I find a discussion of the algorithmic complexity of the
  various features provided by systems for rule-based programming?

Please reply by mail and I'll summarize if indicated.

Thanks!
                                                John Kimball

uucp: <any-smart-host>!srcsip!jkimball    3660 Technology Drive, MN65-2100
voice: 612/782-7343  fax: 612/782-7438    Minneapolis, MN  55418-1006
disclaimer: I said *what*???

Sun, 16 Aug 1992 04:11:44 GMT

1. A CAR RULE KNOWLEDGE BASE

2. Knowledge based systems

3. Smalltalk for Knowledge Based Systems

4. frame-based knowledge systems

5. PROLOG/KNOWLEDGE BASED SYSTEM

6. CFP: Knowledge Base Management Systems (AAAI-90 Workshop)

7. Rules Based Systems

8. Rule Based/Expert Systems in Smalltalk

9. Looking for simple rule-based expert system in Scheme

10. Looking for rules-based expert system shell

11. Web tools for rules-based systems?

12. rule based systems