LIFE (Logic, Inheritance, Functions, Equations) 
Author Message
 LIFE (Logic, Inheritance, Functions, Equations)

LIFE is (apparently) an experimental programming language proposing to
integrate logic programming, functional programming and
object-oriented programming.  It is due to Ait-Kaci and others at DEC's
Paris Research Laboratory.  I would like to get more information about
LIFE and an implementation (if available).  Can anyone help?  (My
attempts to get in touch with DEC-PRL directly have failed.)  Please
reply by mail.

--

University of Edinburgh, Centre for Cognitive Science
2 Buccleuch Place, Edinburgh  EH8 9LW, Scotland, U.K.
Telephone: (031) 650-4421/4432.  Fax: (031) 650-4587.



Sat, 30 Apr 1994 19:54:38 GMT  
 LIFE (Logic, Inheritance, Functions, Equations)

   LIFE is (apparently) an experimental programming language proposing to
   integrate logic programming, functional programming and
   object-oriented programming.

Sounds interesting. Another language integrating functional
and logic programming is ET, defined and implemented by
Bernd Gersdorf (University of Bremen), but it has no OO part.

   [...] Can anyone help?  (My
   attempts to get in touch with DEC-PRL directly have failed.)  Please
   reply by mail.

No. Post it!

--

LFCS, Dept. of Computer Science    UUCP:  ..!mcvax!ukc!lfcs!smk

Edinburgh EH9 3JZ, UK.             Tel:   031-650-5898



Sun, 01 May 1994 19:48:14 GMT  
 LIFE (Logic, Inheritance, Functions, Equations)


Quote:
> LIFE is (apparently) an experimental programming language proposing to
> integrate logic programming, functional programming and
> object-oriented programming.

SMK> Sounds interesting. Another language integrating functional
SMK> and logic programming is ET, defined and implemented by
SMK> Bernd Gersdorf (University of Bremen), but it has no OO part.

Quote:
> [...] Can anyone help?  (My
> attempts to get in touch with DEC-PRL directly have failed.)  Please
> reply by mail.

SMK> No. Post it!

OK.  I send this directly to Steven Bird, but since you asked so nicely...

I am the implementor of the experimental LIFE interpreter.  This work
was done at MCC, Austin, Tx, in 1987-88.  The interpreter is MCC
proprietary, and so cannot be distributed.  I do not know what has
been published about LIFE, except that Hassan Ait-Kaci and Andreas
Podelski submitted a paper to the most recent ICLP.  Related work on
LeFun can be found in JLP and Login in a previous ICLP (San Fransisco,
1987?).  Sorry that I am not in my office and can't provide exact
references.

Hassan is now at DEC PRL.  Others involved in the work were Roger
Nasr -- address unknown to me, but Dec I suspect, Patrick Lincoln, now
at Stanford.

-- Dave



Mon, 02 May 1994 03:44:13 GMT  
 LIFE (Logic, Inheritance, Functions, Equations)

Quote:

> ... stuff deleted

> > LIFE is (apparently) an experimental programming language proposing to
> > integrate logic programming, functional programming and
> > object-oriented programming.

> ... stuff deleted

> I am the implementor of the experimental LIFE interpreter.  This work
> was done at MCC, Austin, Tx, in 1987-88.  The interpreter is MCC
> proprietary, and so cannot be distributed.  I do not know what has
> been published about LIFE, except that Hassan Ait-Kaci and Andreas
> Podelski submitted a paper to the most recent ICLP.  Related work on
> LeFun can be found in JLP and Login in a previous ICLP (San Fransisco,
> 1987?).  Sorry that I am not in my office and can't provide exact
> references.

> Hassan is now at DEC PRL.  Others involved in the work were Roger
> Nasr -- address unknown to me, but Dec I suspect, Patrick Lincoln, now
> at Stanford.

> -- Dave

The original version of LIFE implemented at MCC is indeed proprietary and not
distributable.

However, since moving to DEC PRL, Hassan has started the PARADISE project
(after all, what comes after LIFE?), including a brand new, from-scratch
implementation of LIFE which he IS going to be distributing very shortly.  You

Nikhil
--
------------------------------------------------------------
NAME:      Rishiyur S. Nikhil

TELEPHONE: (617) 621 6639        FAX : (617) 621 6650
ADDRESS:   Digital Equipment Corporation,
           Cambridge Research Laboratory,
           One Kendall Square, Bldg. 700,
           Cambridge, MA 02139, USA
------------------------------------------------------------



Mon, 02 May 1994 06:55:39 GMT  
 LIFE (Logic, Inheritance, Functions, Equations)

Quote:

> However, since moving to DEC PRL, Hassan has started the PARADISE
> project(after all, what comes after LIFE?), including a brand new,
> from-scratch implementation of LIFE which he IS going to be distributing

> information.

> Nikhil

Yes indeed!   At PRL, Richard Meyer has implemented a LIFE interpreter in C
which is independent of David Barker-Plummer's implementation.  I am in
the process of polishing it and fixing several problems (most importantly,
control will be more intelligent).  The final version will be released
with source code as soon as I am satisfied with its state, which should be
in approximately one month.

In parallel with this, we are working on a LIFE compiler that should be
available in one to two years.

Peter

----------------------------------------------------------------

Digital Equipment Corporation
Paris Research Laboratory              tel: [33] (1) 47 14 28 65
85, avenue Victor Hugo                 fax: [33] (1) 47 14 28 99
92563 RUEIL MALMAISON CEDEX
FRANCE
----------------------------------------------------------------



Mon, 02 May 1994 19:13:32 GMT  
 LIFE (Logic, Inheritance, Functions, Equations)

Quote:


>   LIFE is (apparently) an experimental programming language proposing to
>   integrate logic programming, functional programming and
>   object-oriented programming.

>Sounds interesting. Another language integrating functional
>and logic programming is ET, defined and implemented by
>Bernd Gersdorf (University of Bremen), but it has no OO part.

>   [...] Can anyone help?  (My
>   attempts to get in touch with DEC-PRL directly have failed.)  Please
>   reply by mail.

>No. Post it!

I haven't read these, so don't ask me about them. They just look relevant:

Ait-Kaci, Podelski, Towards the Meaning of Life,
Lecture Notes in Computer Science 1991 Vol. 528  

Ait-Kaci, An Overview of Life
Lecture Notes in Computer Science 1991 Vol. 504



Mon, 02 May 1994 04:30:39 GMT  
 
 [ 6 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. LIFE (Logic, Inheritance, Functions, Equations)

2. Equations & Life

3. Use clock in logic equations

4. logic equation for gray-code ???

5. Patterns, Equations and Functions

6. A-Life or E-life

7. Inheritance, constants, and once functions

8. Problems with inheritance (and factory functions).

9. Public inheritance (was: Restricting inheritance)

10. Different kind of inheritance/Multiple Inheritance

11. Inheritance: Interface vs Implementation (was: Questions on inheritance)

12. how to realize the following logic function

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software