What is ML?
Author Message
 What is ML?

writes:

Quote:

> : In my Higher Level Languages class the textbook keeps referring to a
> : language called ML.  We joking call it "Madeup Language" because no
> : one knows what it is.  It would make me look really smart if I was the
> : one to figure it out.  Can anyone help me?

> Probably the most widely used functional language apart from Lisp (if you
> could call Lisp functional). You'd probably find references to it in any good
> comparative langauges textbook, so your statement is rather surprising.

> Matthew Huntbach

An amusing anecdote:  some years ago when the Computer Lab proposed to teach ML
as the first language to computer science undergraduates (which it now does), a
complaint came from a chemist on the curriculum committee that "teaching
Machine Language as the first language is a bad idea".

Sun, 05 Apr 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. Am new to ML

2. Moscow ML 1.40, a compact Standard ML system

3. ML compiler -- Standard ML of NJ

4. I am not deaf, but am I mute?

5. ML for IBM RS6000? and Symbolic math in ML

6. ML Interpreter and Restricted SmallInt behavoir

7. 32-bit GAWK.DLL, thunking and ml(masm)

8. Slow performance combination Client32 Novell and clip5x (ML)

9. new release of the MLton Standard ML compiler

10. history of ML languages

11. Lisp and ML/FPL

12. HOPE and ML