Visual Prolog
Author Message
 Visual Prolog

Has anyone experiences in Visual Prolog by PDC?
Does it work satisfying?

Fri, 10 Jul 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Visual Prolog
Perband,

Quote:
> Has anyone experiences in Visual Prolog by PDC?
> Does it work satisfying?

Yes, it works very well.   But remember this Prolog is strongly typed
and compiles to an EXE,    It is so good that PDC Prolog is the first
'crashless' language (by design) that I have encountered, which is part
of the reason for its 'industrial strength' (and price - round $US1000
for the full thing, but there is a $99 upgradeable evaluation version).

However it isn't due for general release till early February, although
some beta versions are available for early purchasers.  I did some of
the authorship for the manuals.

Melbourne, Australia.

Tue, 14 Jul 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Visual Prolog
Hi,
It is just beautifull version.
No problems to write exe, dll, link to any Windows application, 16/32
bits, what else?
Never have GPF, only logical stuff (mental blocks).
Serg.
Sydney, Australia

Fri, 17 Jul 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Visual Prolog
: Has anyone experiences in Visual Prolog by PDC?
: Does it work satisfying?

May I add:

Does it support VB's usual controls?

Can it access Access 2.0 databases?
(I guess not, without the Jet engine).

More generally, how does it compare (in all non-language aspects)
with Visual Basic (say, V3)?

Paul
----

 |__) (__    Dept. of Computer Science       tel: +44 (0)1782 583477
 |  .  __).  Keele University, Newcastle,    fax: +44 (0)1782 713082
             Staffs  ST5 5BG,  U.K.         road: UK M6 J15 follow signs

Mon, 27 Jul 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Visual Prolog

Quote:

>: Has anyone experiences in Visual Prolog by PDC?
>: Does it work satisfying?
>Does it support VB's usual controls?

I'm not sure what you mean by "usual controls".  It has plenty of
commonly used dialogs for file access, font selection, colour choice,
error messages, notes, etc. accessable with sstandard predicates.  It also
has integrated editors, palette control, painting, GUI printing, a
hypertext help maker and many other useful facilities.

Quote:
>Can it access Access 2.0 databases?
>(I guess not, without the Jet engine).

It has SQL bindings to the Microsoft Open Data Base Connectivity
(ODBC), the Oracle Call Interface (OCI), the IBM DataBase/2 (DB/2), and
it comes with its own external database system.

Quote:
>More generally, how does it compare (in all non-language aspects)
>with Visual Basic (say, V3)?

I'm not intimately familiar with VB, so I can't compare the two.   I will
say, though, that I'm extremely impressed with Visual Prolog.  I've been
using it now for about two years (since the first beta).  It provides
Prolog programmers with crash-free, logical, and powerful access to a
range of GUI platforms.  The latest release is absolutely fabulous.

Regards,
Euan

Dr Euan G. Mason                    Silviculture, Modelling and
Senior Lecturer                     Decision-support systems
School of Forestry
University of Canterbury            New Zealand's professional
Christchurch, New Zealand           Forestry School
                Running at Warp speed with OS/2

Tue, 28 Jul 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. Visual Prolog and Visual C++ - Capabilities Comparison

2. how to call visual prolog to visual c++?

3. PDC Visual Prolog and VIsual Basic

4. Prolog Development Center - Visual Prolog

5. various Prolog and Visual Prolog problems.

6. Translator from standard PROLOG to Visual Prolog?

7. PDC Prolog / Visual Prolog First Steps Edition +/- points

8. PDC Prolog/Visual Prolog and ISO Standards

9. Amzi-Prolog vs. Visual Prolog

10. intriguing offer: Visual Prolog Freeware

11. Visual Prolog Personal Edition as freeware

12. Assembly Language Extensions for Visual Prolog