Q: small, simple constraint example in Prolog?
Author Message
 Q: small, simple constraint example in Prolog?

Hello everyone,

A few years ago, I got a license for CLP from IBM and played
with it (CLP was prolog, plus a constraint solver over intervals).

I was interested in again playing with constraint programming in Prolog,

but I would rather start with a very small toy system (1 or 2 pages
of Prolog code), and build it up myself.  Any book references, or
small example systems would be very much appreciated!

Thanks,
Mark

-- Mark Watson                          www.markwatson.com
-- Please visit my site for Java source code and programs,
-- and for information on the 10 books that I have written
-- dealing with artificial intelligence, Java, and C++.

Sun, 19 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Q: small, simple constraint example in Prolog?

Quote:
>A few years ago, I got a license for CLP from IBM and played
>with it (CLP was prolog, plus a constraint solver over intervals).

>I was interested in again playing with constraint programming in Prolog,
>but I would rather start with a very small toy system (1 or 2 pages
>of Prolog code), and build it up myself.  Any book references, or
>small example systems would be very much appreciated!

Although I haven't read it cover-to-cover, this is a book on CLP
(in the generic sense, not IBM Reserach's CLP(R) software) that I
can very much recommend.  (It is however more formal and mathematically
rigorous than your book "Intelligent Java Applications for the
Internet and Intranets" published by Morgan Kaufmann.)

Kim Marriott, Peter J. Stuckey:
Programming With Constraints: An Introduction.
MIT Press, 1998.
ISBN: 0262133415  (Hardcover, 467 pages)

The following info is from www.clbooks.com:

to model real world constraints and objects. In this book, Kim Marriott
and Peter Stuckey provide the first comprehensive introduction to the
discipline of constraint programming and, in particular, constraint logic
programming. The book covers the necessary background material from
artificial intelligence, logic programming, operations research, and
mathematical programming. Topics discussed range from constraint-solving
techniques to programming methodologies for constraint programming
languages. Because there is not yet a universally used syntax for
constraint logic programming languages, the authors present the programs
in a way that is independent of any existing programming language.
Practical exercises cover how to use the book with a number of existing
constraint languages.

TABLE OF CONTENTS

Preface

Introduction

Notes

I Constraints

1 Constraints
1.1 Constraints and Valuations
1.2 Modelling with Constraints
1.3 Constraint Satisfaction
1.4 Tree Constraints
1.5 Other Constraint Domains
1.6 Properties of Constraint Solvers
1.7 (*) Determined Variables and Local Prevention
1.8 Summary
1.9 Exercises
1.10 Practical Exercises
1.11 Notes

2 Simplification, Optimization and Implication
2.1 Constraint Simplification
2.2 Projection
2.3 Constraint Simplifiers
2.4 Optimization
2.5 The Simplex Algorithm
2.6 (*) Canonical Form Simplifiers
2.7 (*) Implication and Equivalence
2.8 Summary
2.9 Exercises
2.10 Practical Exercises
2.11 Notes

3 Finite Constraint Domains
3.1 Constraint Satisfaction Problems
3.2 A Simple Backtracking Solver
3.3 Node and Arc Consistency
3.4 Bounds Consistency
3.5 Generalized Consistency
3.6 Optimization for Arithmetic CSPs
3.7 Summary
3.8 Exercises
3.9 Practical Exercises
3.10 Notes

II Constraint Logic Programming

4 Constraint Logic Programs
4.1 User-Defined Constraints
4.2 Programming with Rules
4.3 Evaluation
4.4 Derivation Trees and Finite Failure
4.5 Goal Evaluation
4.6 Simplified Derivation Trees
4.7 The CLP Scheme
4.8 (*) Independence from Rule Ordering and Literal Selection
4.9 Summary
4.10 Exercises
4.11 Practical Exercises
4.12 Notes

5 Simple Modelling
5.1 Simple Modelling
5.2 Modelling Choice
5.3 Iteration
5.4 Optimization
5.5 Summary
5.6 Practical Exercises
5.7 Notes

6 Using Data Structures
6.1 Records
6.2 Lists
6.3 Association Lists
6.4 Binary Trees
6.5 Hierarchical Modelling
6.6 Tree Layout
6.7 Summary
6.8 Practical Exercises
6.9 Notes

7 Controlling Search
7.1 Estimating the Efficiency of a CLP Program
7.2 Controlling Search: An Example
7.3 Rule Ordering
7.4 Literal Ordering
7.5 Adding Redundant Constraints
7.6 Minimization
7.7 Identifying Deterministic Subgoals
7.8 An Extended Example: Bridge Building
7.9 Summary
7.10 Exercises
7.11 Practical Exercises
7.12 Notes

8 Modelling with Finite Domain Constraints
8.1 Domains and Labelling
8.2 Complex Constraints
8.3 Labelling
8.4 Different Problem Modellings
8.5 An Extended Example: Scheduling
8.6 (*) Arc Consistency
8.7 (*) Library Predicates
8.8 Summary
8.9 Practical Exercises
8.10 Notes

9 Advanced Programming Techniques
9.1 Extending the Constraint Solver
9.2 Combined Symbolic and Arithmetic Reasoning
9.3 Programming Optimization
9.4 Higher-order Predicates
9.5 Negation
9.6 CLP Languages with Dynamic Scheduling
9.7 (*) Meta Programming
9.8 (*) Library Predicates
9.9 Summary
9.10 Practical Exercises
9.11 Notes

10 CLP Systems
10.1 Simple Backtracking Goal Evaluation
10.2 Incremental Constraint Solving
10.3 Efficient Saving and Restoring of the Constraint Store
10.4 Implementing If-Then-Else, Once and Negation
10.5 Optimization
10.6 Other Incremental Constraint Solvers
10.7 (*) Incremental Real Arithmetic Solving
10.8 Summary
10.9 Exercises
10.10 Notes

III Other Constraint Programming Languages

11 Constraint Databases
11.1 Modelling with Constraint Databases
11.2 Bottom Up Evaluation
11.3 Bottom-Up versus Top-Down
11.4 Mimicking Top-Down Evaluation Bottom-Up
11.5 (*) Improving Termination
11.6 (*) Relationship with Relational Databases
11.7 Summary
11.8 Exercises
11.9 Practical Exercises
11.10 Notes

12 Other Constraint Programming Languages
12.1 The CLP Paradigm
12.2 Concurrent Constraint Programming Languages
12.3 Constraint Handling Rules
12.4 Functional Languages
12.5 Term Rewriting
12.6 Imperative Programming Languages