Prolog vs. Database search
Author Message
 Prolog vs. Database search

Quote:

> However, if the database is expected to grow much larger (than
> physical memory), then I assume it is more search-time efficient to store
> the facts in a traditional database such as Oracle (to avoid disk swaping).
> Is this assumption correct ?

> If yes, how difficult is it to develop this Prolog/Database interface
> ?

Yes and No.

First, there are several excellent Database extensions for Prolog
environments, e.g. MegaLog in Eclipse of ECRC (MegaLog is the database,

Second, all commercial Prolog systems provide extensions to common SQL or
other database systems (Oracle, Sybase, etc.) for most platforms -
however, these DB access extensions may not be cheap. Since BinProlog is
not a commercial Prolog system, ask the developers whether they have such
an interface already.

Third, you can do (most of) it yourself: get my Prolog to SQL compiler and
link the Prolog system and the DBMS via inter-process communication. It's
been done and the code is available at

   ftp://ftp.cis.uni-muenchen.de/pub/prolog_sql/

Both the second and third solution require some conversion between the
DBMS types and the Prolog data structures. In practice this means that you
can store only atomic and ground values in the DBMS, since complex terms
or variables are not supported by the DBMSs. In commercial system you
don't have to worry about that, in self-written system you have to solve
that problem.

I hope this helped,

Christoph

Christoph Draxler
CIS - Centre for Information and Language Processing
Ludwig-Maximilians-University Munich        tel: +49/89/211 0664
Wagmuellerstr. 23                           fax: +49/89/211 0674

--------------- http://www.*-*-*.com/
                  now with QuickTime movies!

Sat, 11 Jul 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Prolog vs. Database search
Hi,

I am learning Prolog (with BinProlog) and I have the following questions:

I need to create a database of facts which will be searched or
inferenced with a set of rules. I realized Prolog will work fine
for this if the SIZE of the database is SMALL.
However, if the database is expected to grow much larger (than
physical memory), then I assume it is more search-time efficient to store
the facts in a traditional database such as Oracle (to avoid disk swaping).
Is this assumption correct ?

If yes, how difficult is it to develop this Prolog/Database interface
?

I would greatly appreciate some pointers or suggestions.

Please respond by email in addition to posting. Thanks.

Charles Sun

Sat, 11 Jul 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. Speed: Prolog(s) vs Relational Database?

2. Prolog-search the web quickly with Search Spaniel

3. A good free/trial prolog IDE for compiling and loading wordnet prolog database

4. Databases -- Gadfly vs Metakit vs SQLite

5. SWI Prolog Vs GNU Prolog

6. Prolog/Lisp vs other languages (was Simple Prolog Question)

7. Amzi-Prolog vs. Visual Prolog

8. Database search case-insensitive?

9. Search in Database

10. CW2003 - Quick search database?

11. Cancelling a Long Database Search

12. Dbase Compatibility for Web Database Search