Goedel & SICStus Prolog
Author Message
 Goedel & SICStus Prolog

Tue, 14 May 1996 19:00:39 GMT
 Goedel & SICStus Prolog

Tue, 14 May 1996 19:05:39 GMT
 Goedel & SICStus Prolog

Tue, 14 May 1996 19:09:26 GMT
 Goedel & SICStus Prolog

Tue, 14 May 1996 19:11:40 GMT
 Goedel & SICStus Prolog

Tue, 14 May 1996 19:13:30 GMT
 Goedel & SICStus Prolog

Tue, 14 May 1996 19:17:54 GMT
 Goedel & SICStus Prolog

Hello.

I have a document that says "Goedel must be compiled in SICStus Prolog".

Is this true and, if so, why it it true?

What is unique about SICStus Prolog?

Bill

Tue, 14 May 1996 19:30:34 GMT
 Goedel & SICStus Prolog
|> I have a document that says "Goedel must be compiled in SICStus Prolog".
|>
|> Is this true and, if so, why it it true?
|>
|> What is unique about SICStus Prolog?

The Bristol implemenmtation of Goedel must be compiled with SICStus Prolog.

Jiwei Wang                      Department of Computer Science
                                University of Bristol

UK + (0)272-303030 ext 3568     Bristol, U.K. BS8 1TR

Tue, 14 May 1996 20:59:08 GMT
 Goedel & SICStus Prolog

|> I have a document that says "Goedel must be compiled in SICStus Prolog".
|>
|> Is this true and, if so, why it it true?
|>
|> What is unique about SICStus Prolog?

The Bristol implementation of Goedel has to be compiled with SICStus Prolog.
We chose SICStus Prolog because it's fast, robust, and cheap to academia,
and most importantly we can get excellent technical support from SICS.
I guess these make SICStus unique.

--
Jiwei Wang                      Department of Computer Science
                                University of Bristol

UK + (0)272-303030 ext 3568     Bristol, U.K. BS8 1TR

Tue, 14 May 1996 22:49:16 GMT
 Goedel & SICStus Prolog

: |> I have a document that says "Goedel must be compiled in SICStus Prolog".
: |>
: |> Is this true and, if so, why it it true?
: |>
: |> What is unique about SICStus Prolog?

: The Bristol implementation of Goedel has to be compiled with SICStus Prolog.
: We chose SICStus Prolog because it's fast, robust, and cheap to academia,
: and most importantly we can get excellent technical support from SICS.
: I guess these make SICStus unique.

 It would not seem to me to follow from the fact that you chose to use
SICStus Prolog that the Bristol implementation of Goedel has to be
compiled with SICStus Prolog unless SICStus Prolog includes certain
language constructs that cannot duplicated in any non-SICStus Prolog and
the Bristol implementation of Goedel depends on those constructs.

 Is that the case?

Wed, 15 May 1996 07:39:21 GMT
 Goedel & SICStus Prolog

Quote:

>: |> I have a document that says "Goedel must be compiled in SICStus Prolog".
>: |> Is this true and, if so, why it it true?
>: |> What is unique about SICStus Prolog?

>: The Bristol implementation of Goedel has to be compiled with SICStus Prolog.
>: We chose SICStus Prolog because it's fast, robust, and cheap to academia,
>: and most importantly we can get excellent technical support from SICS.
>: I guess these make SICStus unique.

> It would not seem to me to follow from the fact that you chose to use
>SICStus Prolog that the Bristol implementation of Goedel has to be
>compiled with SICStus Prolog unless SICStus Prolog includes certain
>language constructs that cannot duplicated in any non-SICStus Prolog and
>the Bristol implementation of Goedel depends on those constructs.

The fact is that Prolog is not very portable.  Prolog implementations
differ in strange ways that are likely to break any large program when
you try to port it to a different Prolog system.  This is a problem
which the Prolog standard will hopefully solve, but it will take quite
a few years before this happens.

Nevertheless, there is at least one feature which Sicstus Prolog
provides which is essential for the Bristol implementation of Goedel,
which is not part of standard Prolog: coroutining.  There are other
systems which provide this facility (eg. NU-Prolog) but they do so in
slightly different ways, which means that programs that depend on
coroutining are not portable between different systems.

--

Wed, 15 May 1996 22:48:30 GMT
 Goedel & SICStus Prolog
@mulga.cs.mu.OZ.AU>:
[...]

: --

Fergus,

 So, to run Goedel, I would have to buy something like a Sun SPARC plus
SICStus Prolog.

 Ouch.

 In lieu of that, I wonder if is there a place from which I could ftp a few
examples of things written out in Goedel?

 Much obliged,
 Bill

Thu, 16 May 1996 09:00:12 GMT
 Goedel & SICStus Prolog

    So, to run Goedel, I would have to buy something like a Sun SPARC plus
   SICStus Prolog.

Even if you had to get SICStus, you wouldn't have to get a
SPARC. SICStus runs on lots of machines.

--
Lars-Henrik Eriksson, Wilhelm-Schickard-Institut, Tuebingen University
On leave from the Swedish Institute of Computer Science until Dec. 8, 1993.

(If the reply address in my message is incorrect, use one of the addresses
above.)

Thu, 16 May 1996 16:27:05 GMT
 Goedel & SICStus Prolog

Quote:

> So, to run Goedel, I would have to buy something like a Sun SPARC plus
>SICStus Prolog.

> Ouch.

No, in fact you need _either_ a Sun SPARC _or_ a recent release of SICStus
Prolog, not both.  Here's the relevant quote from the "overview" file
in the Goedel distribution:

| SICStus Prolog version 2.1 #6 (or later) is required to compile the Goedel
| system. As an alternative for those who do not have SICStus Prolog, a run-time
| system is provided which gives a version that runs on a SPARCstation.

Quote:
> In lieu of that, I wonder if is there a place from which I could ftp a few
>examples of things written out in Goedel?

The Goedel distribution comes with a bunch of example programs.
Here's the details from the "overview" file on how to obtain it:

| The system is available by anonymous ftp.  The ftp sites are
|
| ftp.cs.kuleuven.ac.be     (134.58.41.2)
|
| and
|
| ftp.cs.bris.ac.uk     (137.222.102.102).
|
| At the Leuven site, the file README in the directory
|
| /pub/logic-prgm/goedel
|
| gives further instructions on how to obtain the system.  For the Bristol site,
| the README file is in the directory
|
| /goedel.
|
| If you have not already done so, please register when you obtain the system.
| This is done by sending a message consisting of your name, institution, and
| address to:

Thu, 16 May 1996 22:21:43 GMT
 Goedel & SICStus Prolog

:     So, to run Goedel, I would have to buy something like a Sun SPARC plus
:    SICStus Prolog.

: Even if you had to get SICStus, you wouldn't have to get a
: SPARC. SICStus runs on lots of machines.

: --
: Lars-Henrik Eriksson, Wilhelm-Schickard-Institut, Tuebingen University
: On leave from the Swedish Institute of Computer Science until Dec. 8, 1993.

: (If the reply address in my message is incorrect, use one of the addresses
: above.)

I am glad to hear that!

Moreover, since posting my last message, I downloaded the Bristol
Goedel package (.tar file) in which I see more than enough to keep me
busy reading for a long time to come.

To all who had a hand in making Goedel available, my gratitude and
admiration!

Bill

P.S. May I inquire whether SICStus Prolog will run under SunSoft
INTERACTIVE UNIX System V/386 or Solaris 2.x for x86 Platforms -- or is
that a question I should direct to SunSoft?

Fri, 17 May 1996 10:36:28 GMT

1. SICstus prolog & Graphic Manager

2. SICStus Prolog + Java/Prolog + Jasper

3. SB-Prolog/Sicstus Prolog info. request

4. SB-Prolog/Sicstus Prolog Info. Request

5. LP (prolog, Goedel) as a first language

6. Goedel vs. Prolog

7. Goedel & programming languages

8. SICStus Prolog Call Interface for Dolphin

9. SICStus Prolog 3.10 released

10. Using Prolog Modules (Sicstus style)

11. Using Prolog Modules (Sicstus style)

12. Load a module in Sicstus Prolog