Combining functional and logical features 
Author Message
 Combining functional and logical features

Hallo,

I need to do some research about the advantages of combining features
of functional, logical and constraint programming.

Could anybody please point out respective literature? Are there any
representative examples/ applications etc. which clearly state:
"if you solve it functionally it is not bad and
if you do it logically it is not bad as well
but if you use a combination of functional and logical features
it is so emazing."

Thanks a lot in advance.

        Frank

--
Frank Reiber
University of Technology Dresden / Department of CompSci




Sat, 18 Jul 1998 03:00:00 GMT  
 Combining functional and logical features
Take a look at LIFE: Logic, Inheritance, Functions, and Equations.
<http://www.isg.sfu.ca/life/>.
"LIFE (Logic, Inheritance, Functions, and Equations) is an experimental
 programming language proposing to integrate three orthogonal programming
 paradigms proven useful for symbolic computation.  From the programmer's
 standpoint, it may be perceived as a language taking after logic programming,
 functional programming, and object-oriented programming."

pjm.



Sun, 19 Jul 1998 03:00:00 GMT  
 Combining functional and logical features

Quote:

>I need to do some research about the advantages of combining features
>of functional, logical and constraint programming.

Combining functional and logic programming (but I am not certain about
constraints): look for papers written by Michael Hanus, email is

WWW is http://www-i2.informatik.rwth-aachen.de/hanus/

For combining functional and constraints, I think, look for papers
written by Darlington and Guo, of Imperial College. John Darlington's

Some papers by both these groups are mentioned in the CLP bibliography,
but it is not very up-to-date in this respect. I would be happy to
receive newer information.

=============================================================


                             Belgium : fax   +32 81 72.49.67



Sun, 19 Jul 1998 03:00:00 GMT  
 Combining functional and logical features

Quote:
(Frank Reiber) writes:

|>
|> Hallo,
|>
|> I need to do some research about the advantages of combining features
|> of functional, logical and constraint programming.
|>
|> Could anybody please point out respective literature? Are there any
|> representative examples/ applications etc. which clearly state:
|> "if you solve it functionally it is not bad and
|> if you do it logically it is not bad as well
|> but if you use a combination of functional and logical features
|> it is so emazing."
|>
|> Thanks a lot in advance.
|>
|>   Frank
|>
|> --
|> Frank Reiber
|> University of Technology Dresden / Department of CompSci


  You should have a look at the proceedings of the worshop on
Programming Paradigms in Graphics, that attempts to answer your
question in the field of computer graphics, but for a wider range of
languages (object-oriented, functional, constraint, parallel, logic,
data-flow, genetic...). I co-wrote a paper on the graphical toolkit
provided with the Life language (mentioned earlier in this newsgroup)
published in the latest edition (the 5th, September 95).

  Bruno

--
*******************************************************************
Bruno Dumant
PAA/TSA/TLR
Centre de Paris A
CNET France Telecom
38-40 rue du general Leclerc
92131 Issy-Les-Moulineaux, FRANCE


tel: +33 1 45 29 46 03
fax: +33 1 45 29 66 04
*******************************************************************



Sun, 19 Jul 1998 03:00:00 GMT  
 Combining functional and logical features

Quote:

> I need to do some research about the advantages of combining features
> of functional, logical and constraint programming.

> Could anybody please point out respective literature?

Look at http://www-i2.informatik.rwth-aachen.de/~hanus/FLP/
as a starting point for references on functional logic programming.

Michael
--
--
Michael Hanus


RWTH Aachen         Phone: +49-241/80-21230
D-52056 Aachen      Fax:   +49-241/8888-217
Germany             WWW:   http://www-i2.informatik.rwth-aachen.de/~hanus/



Mon, 20 Jul 1998 03:00:00 GMT  
 Combining functional and logical features

Quote:

> Combining functional and logic programming
> look for papers written by Michael Hanus
> WWW is http://www-i2.informatik.rwth-aachen.de/hanus/

He even maintains a Functional Logic Programming page with lots of links:
http://www-i2.informatik.rwth-aachen.de/hanus/FLP/

        lee



Mon, 27 Jul 1998 03:00:00 GMT  
 
 [ 6 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. Combining functional and logical features

2. How to combine STRING with LOGICAL as an indexkey

3. f90 array features for logical arrays

4. what features for an IDE for functional languages

5. combining diacritics fail to combine in Tk

6. logical*4 and logical*8?

7. feature{NONE} and feature{ANY}

8. Operator features and exporting features.

9. advantages of assumed shape (fortran 90 feature) over assumed size (fortran 77 feature)

10. POLL: TkCon Users: feature use and future features

11. functional.py 0.6 - Functional Programming in Python

12. non-functional syntax in a mostly functional language

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software