Conference on Domain-Specific Languages - Call for Papers
Author Message
 Conference on Domain-Specific Languages - Call for Papers

Announcement and Call for Papers

Conference on Domain-Specific Languages
October 15-17, 1997
Red Lion Resort--Santa Barbara, California
In cooperation with ACM SIGPLAN (pending)

IMPORTANT DATES
===============
Papers due : June 13, 1997
Author notification: July 10, 1997
Camera-ready final papers due: September 2, 1997

PROGRAM COMMITTEE
==================
Chris Ramming - AT&T Labs (Program Chair)

Thomas J. Ball - Lucent Bell Laboratories
Gerard Berry- CMA, Ecole des Mines de Paris
Jon Bentley - Lucent Bell Laboratories
Peter Buneman - University of Pennsylvania
Luca Cardelli - Digital Equipment Corporation
Steve Johnson - Transmeta Corporation
Takayuki Dan Kimura - Washington University
Todd Knoblock - Microsoft Research
David Ladd - Spyglass (Speaker Chair)
Adam Porter - University of Maryland
Jan Prins - University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill

INTRODUCTION
============
Language is central to the discipline of software engineering.
Programmers use a variety of languages in their daily work, and
new languages appear frequently. This proliferation is not
gratuitous: each new language offers specific solutions to genuine
software problems. However, not all languages address the problem
of general-purpose computing: domain-specific languages (DSLs)
are explicitly designed to cover only a narrow class of problems,
while offering compelling advantages within that class. This
conference is dedicated to the discussion of the unique aspects of DSL
design, DSL implementation, and the use of DSLs in software
engineering.

Domain-specific languages give rise to a number of questions. What
are the design principles for the creation of new DSLs? How can the
process of DSL design be codified and structured? What roles can
domain-specific languages play in software engineering? How does
the use of domain-specific languages affect software engineering
process? What are the tools, environments, and techniques needed to
support the use of domain-specific languages? What are the concrete
technical advantages and disadvantages of domain-specific
languages? What are the economic costs and benefits of domain-
specific languages? These and other questions are the focus of this
conference on domain-specific languages.

The conference seeks to advance the practice of DSL design, DSL
implementation, and software engineering generally by:

-- eliciting examples of successful domain-specific languages
-- highlighting the spectrum of benefits which domain-specific
   languages can provide
-- discovering design principles and methodologies for creating DSLs
-- eliciting design techniques and tools for working with domain-
   specific languages throughout the software engineering lifecycle
-- providing a framework within which language designers from
   different domains can easily communicate
-- establishing the practical value of domain-specific languages
   through the publication of empirical data concerning productivity,
   quality, and maintainability
-- creating a community that will continue to study and refine the
   practice of software engineering through domain-specific languages

CONFERENCE TOPICS
=================
The technical sessions will include refereed papers, invited talks,
and Birds-of-a-Feather (BoF) sessions. We seek papers that draw on
experience in a wide variety of areas, including but not limited to
the following topics.

       - formal methods
       - software design and architecture
       - declarative languages
       - software engineering
       - software process
       - database languages
       - program analysis and automated transformation
       - computer architecture
       - design process and languages
       - visual languages and environments
       - hardware specification languages
       - parallel computing languages
       - type theory
       - distributed computing languages
       - testing
       - prototyping

PAPER CRITERIA
==============

Papers will be judged on the depth of their insight and the extent
to which they translate specific experience into general lessons for
domain-specific language designers, and implementers, and
software engineers.

Papers can range from the practical to the theoretical; papers should
refer to actual languages, tools, and techniques with pointers to full
definitions and implementations where possible. Empirical data on
results should be included where possible.

HOW TO SUBMIT A PAPER
=====================

Technical paper submissions must be received by June 13, 1997. Full
papers are requested and should be 10 to 15 pages (around
5,000-6,000 words).

All submissions will be judged on originality, relevance, and
correctness. Each accepted submission will be assigned a member of
the program committee to shepherd preparation of the final paper.
The assigned member will act as a conduit for feedback from the
committee to the authors. Camera-ready final papers are due
September 2, 1997.

Each submission must include a cover letter stating the paper title
and authors along with the name of the person who will act as the
contact to the program committee. Please include a surface mail
address, daytime and evening phone number, an email address, and
fax number for the contact person.

If you would like to receive detailed guidelines for submission send

document is available at http://www.*-*-*.com/

The DSL conference, like most conferences and journals, requires
that papers not be submitted simultaneously to another conference
or publication and that submitted papers not be previously or
subsequently published elsewhere. Papers accompanied by "non-
disclosure agreement" forms are not acceptable and will be returned
to the author(s) unread. All submissions are held in the highest
confidentiality prior to publication in the Proceedings, both as a
matter of policy and in accord with the U.S. Copyright Act of 1976.

Please send one copy of a full paper to the program committee via
one of the following methods. All submissions will be acknowledged.

       Alternate Method: postal delivery to:

       DSL Conference
       c/o Chris Ramming
       USENIX Association
       2560 Ninth Street, Suite 215
       Berkeley CA 94710
       Phone: 510.528.8649

INVITED TALKS
=============
There will be several invited talks at the conference. If you have
suggestions for possible speakers, please send them to the speaker

REGISTRATION MATERIALS
======================
Materials containing all details of the technical and tutorial
programs, registration fees and forms, and hotel information will be
available beginning in August, 1997. If you wish to receive the
registration materials, please contact USENIX at:

USENIX Conference Office
22672 Lambert Street, Suite 613
Lake Forest, CA USA 92630
Phone: 714-588-8649;
Fax: 714-588-9706

Fri, 09 Jul 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Conference on Domain-Specific Languages - Call for Papers

APL is not a domain-specific language.

Erik

Sat, 10 Jul 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Conference on Domain-Specific Languages - Call for Papers

efriis> APL is not a domain-specific language.
efriis> Erik

Neither is Perl.  Hmm.  I wonder how many of those listed *are* domain
specific?

:-)

Web: <A HREF="http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/">My Home Page!</A>
Quote: "I'm telling you, if I could have five lines in my .sig, I would!" -- me

Sun, 11 Jul 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Conference on Domain-Specific Languages - Call for Papers

Quote:
>efriis> APL is not a domain-specific language.

>Neither is Perl.  Hmm.  I wonder how many of those listed *are* domain
>specific?

But both Perl and APL can be used to craft domain specific languages.
Anyway, who said they were?

John Atwood
--
--Office phone: 541-737-5583 (Batcheller 349) home: 757-8772
  Office mail:  303 Dearborn Hall, OSU, Corvallis, OR  97331

Mon, 12 Jul 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Conference on Domain-Specific Languages - Call for Papers

2. Conference on Domain-Specific Languages - Call for Papers

3. Conference on Domain-Specific Languages - Call for Papers

4. Conference on Domain-Specific Languages - Call for Papers

5. Conference on Domain-Specific Languages - Call for Papers

6. Conference on Domain-Specific Languages - Call for Papers

7. 2nd USENIX Conference on Domain-Specific Languages - Call for Papers

8. Conference on Domain-Specific Languages - Call for Papers

9. Conference on Domain-Specific Languages - Call for Papers

10. Conference on Domain-Specific Languages - Call for Papers

11. Conference on Domain-Specific Languages - Call for Papers

12. Conference on Domain-Specific Languages - Call for Papers