Public Domain Prolog
Author Message
 Public Domain Prolog

Is there a public domain version of prolog, that I can download
from an FTP-server? I would prefer a system that runs under
MS-Windows or a system that is available as source code, that
I could port to MS-Windows.

Regards, Christian Barmala

Fri, 14 Mar 1997 15:15:08 GMT
 Public Domain Prolog
: Is there a public domain version of prolog, that I can download
: from an FTP-server? I would prefer a system that runs under
: MS-Windows or a system that is available as source code, that
: I could port to MS-Windows.

: Regards, Christian Barmala

Your newsreader is set up wrong and we can't send email to you.

Try SWI-Prolog for Windows from ai.uga.edu.

--
< Michael A. Covington, Assc Rsch Scientist, Artificial Intelligence Center >

< Unless specifically indicated, I am not speaking for the University. >  <><

Quote:
> "To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see them." -C.S. Lewis <

Sat, 15 Mar 1997 03:57:41 GMT
 Public Domain Prolog

Quote:

>Your newsreader is set up wrong and we can't send email to you.

     Actually, Michael, if you had dug in the header of his
article a bit, you would have found the right nodename.

Quote:
>Try SWI-Prolog for Windows from ai.uga.edu.

     Michael, perhaps you could explain to us why you keep
posting such information to the newsgroup when you know that I
regularly answer FAQs by e-mail.  (The purpose of having a FAQ
list and a FAQ maintainer being to prevent repeated questions
*and answers* in the newsgroup itself.)

     I ask this in an article because repeated e-mail to you in
this vein has failed to elicit an explanation.

--Jamie.

"Make sure Reality is not twisted after insertion"

Sat, 15 Mar 1997 09:42:16 GMT
 Public Domain Prolog

:      Michael, perhaps you could explain to us why you keep
: posting such information to the newsgroup when you know that I
: regularly answer FAQs by e-mail.  (The purpose of having a FAQ
: list and a FAQ maintainer being to prevent repeated questions
: *and answers* in the newsgroup itself.)
:      I ask this in an article because repeated e-mail to you in
: this vein has failed to elicit an explanation.

Further to previous posting, well, actually, I *don't* know whether
you have answered any particular question by email (unless you want
to start sending me copies of all your email -- please don't!).

I was just trying to be helpful.  I had no idea that providing on-topic
information which is in demand was a forbidden practice on the net!!!

--
< Michael A. Covington, Assc Rsch Scientist, Artificial Intelligence Center >

< Unless specifically indicated, I am not speaking for the University. >  <><

Quote:
> "To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see them." -C.S. Lewis <

Sat, 15 Mar 1997 11:05:12 GMT
 Public Domain Prolog

Quote:

>Further to previous posting, well, actually, I *don't* know whether
>you have answered any particular question by email...

     OK, well, I try to do so with every question that I see on
the newsgroup which is directly or indirectly answered by a
section from the FAQ list.

Quote:
>I was just trying to be helpful.  I had no idea that providing on-topic
>information which is in demand was a forbidden practice on the net!!!

     IMHO you are usually very helpful, Michael -- it's just
that the purpose of having a FAQ list seems to be to minimize
the number of frequently asked questions and answers appearing
over and over on the newsgroup.  Responding to a FAQ, with an
article saying something that's in the FAQ list already, seems
to defeat this purpose.

--Jamie.

"Make sure Reality is not twisted after insertion"

Sun, 16 Mar 1997 00:33:06 GMT
 Public Domain Prolog

: >I was just trying to be helpful.  I had no idea that providing on-topic
: >information which is in demand was a forbidden practice on the net!!!

:      IMHO you are usually very helpful, Michael -- it's just
: that the purpose of having a FAQ list seems to be to minimize
: the number of frequently asked questions and answers appearing
: over and over on the newsgroup.  Responding to a FAQ, with an
: article saying something that's in the FAQ list already, seems
: to defeat this purpose.

I guess I don't entirely agree with your premise that
frequently-requested information should be excluded from the
newsgroup.

Admittedly, newsgroups should not be burdened with information that is
readily available from other sources.  But the current status and
availability of public-domain Prologs is not something you can find
out from a reference book.  In fact, someone might even come up with
something that is not in the FAQ.

After all, the information in the FAQ comes from the newsgroup,
doesn't it?  And if such information were rigorously excluded from
the newsgroup, where would you get it?

--
< Michael A. Covington, Assc Rsch Scientist, Artificial Intelligence Center >

< Unless specifically indicated, I am not speaking for the University. >  <><

Quote:
> "To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see them." -C.S. Lewis <

Sun, 16 Mar 1997 01:33:54 GMT
 Public Domain Prolog
At the risk of being told to mind my own business, it's worth noting that
the present discussion reflects a very public-spirited approach to
comp.lang.prolog. What we have is a number of people going to a good deal
of trouble to provide information to a questioner.

I don't mind if a frequently asked question is answered via the newsgroup,
because I can always skip the thread if I want, and indeed I might learn
something new myself. The bandwidth used is negligible (even all the way to
and from Ireland).

Similarly, it is great that Jamie and others send FAQ List details to
questioners where they think it might be useful. I, for one, didn't know
this happened.

So, there's no conflict and I don't see what the fuss is about.

--
Mike Brady
Computer Science Department, Trinity College Dublin, Ireland

Sun, 16 Mar 1997 17:16:44 GMT
 Public Domain Prolog

Quote:

>>Further to previous posting, well, actually, I *don't* know whether
>>you have answered any particular question by email...
>     OK, well, I try to do so with every question that I see on
>the newsgroup which is directly or indirectly answered by a
>section from the FAQ list.
>--Jamie.

Jamie, I understand your concern about not repeating information
available in the FAQ, however, I believe that rather than replying to
such inquiries by direct E-Mail, it would be better to either post the
answer, or post a message which points to the FAQ, along with its address.
There
are those of us who are lurking in the background who are interested
in the answer to such postings. Personally I was
unaware of the availability of SWI-Prolog and was *very* glad Michael
posted the information.

--

Thanks!

Mon, 17 Mar 1997 09:15:53 GMT
 Public Domain Prolog

Quote:

>I don't mind if a frequently asked question is answered via the newsgroup,
>because I can always skip the thread if I want, and indeed I might learn
>something new myself. The bandwidth used is negligible (even all the way to
>and from Ireland).

     I understand your point of view.  Let me just say this.
The original problem that having a FAQ list was to address, was
the problem that certain questions are asked over and over, and
each is answered with several similar postings of not
necessarily comprehensive information.

     Carried to an extreme, this problem traffic can indeed be
annoying to have to wade through.  If it's just one posting once
in a while, it's not annoying at all.  I appreciate the public
spirit of those that post answers that are already in the FAQ
list; I just hope that not too many others become similarly
public-spirited (:-)), since at some point the public good
becomes ill-served.

--Jamie.

"Make sure Reality is not twisted after insertion"

Tue, 18 Mar 1997 01:22:37 GMT
 Public Domain Prolog

Quote:

>Is there a public domain version of prolog, that I can download
>from an FTP-server? I would prefer a system that runs under
>MS-Windows or a system that is available as source code, that
>I could port to MS-Windows.

Part 2 of the Prolog Resource Guide lists most free implementations of

and
   send prg
in the message body.

Most of the free implementations listed in the PRG are included in the
CMU AI Repository, in
   ftp.cs.cmu.edu:/user/ai/lang/prolog/impl/
and subdirectories. For those without access to anonymous ftp, they
are also available on Prime Time Freeware for AI, a mixed-media

On the issue of posting responses to FAQs:

The purpose of a FAQ like the PRG or the Prolog FAQ is to cut down
network bandwidth by providing a comprehensive set of polished
answers. (For this reason, among others, Jamie and I are discussing
merging the FAQ into the PRG.)

I tend to send copies of the PRG to folks who post FAQs. My preference
is that responses to FAQs be sent through email, unless there is new
information. When you post a freshly worded response, it means I have
to compare the information in your post with the contents of the FAQ,
to make sure there's no new information. This takes time that is
better spent on other projects. If you must post, please do so by
including an excerpt of the FAQ or PRG in your post instead of writing
a new response and include info on how to get the FAQ/PRG. If you feel
that the FAQ/PRG entry is lacking in one way or another, please send
us email so that we can improve the entry.

Thanks,

Mark

Wed, 19 Mar 1997 04:33:24 GMT
 Public Domain Prolog

can somebody help me????

i'm looking for a public domain prolog which is ported to
osf1 running on a dec-3000 workstation (alpha axp)

please give me some references (mail-addresses, ftp/mosaic-hosts etc).

kindly

andy

Sat, 29 Mar 1997 23:50:06 GMT

1. public domain prolog for apollo domain

2. public domain Prolog system available

3. Public Domain Prolog

4. looking for public domain prolog code archives, data

5. Public Domain Prolog compiler Request

6. Public domain prolog

7. Public Domain Prologs

8. Public domain Prolog for Mac

9. Public Domain Prolog