Prolog for large systems?
Author Message
 Prolog for large systems?

We are embarking on a large and as yet somewhat ill-defined expert-system
development effort.  One member of our group has significant previous
experience with KnowledgeCraft.  While he found KnowledgeCraft to be quite
powerful, the performance degraded too quickly as the rule-set grew
large.

For our new system, we are considering the use of Quintus Flex and Quintus
Prolog.  At this point we are quessing that we may ultimately be looking
at a system with around 500 frames and 15,000 rules.

We would very much appreciate any information anyone out there may have on
the performance of Prolog for systems of this size.

Thanks for your time.

GLV
113 Edinburgh South
Cary, NC 27511
Tel: (919)460-3242
Fax: (919)460-3295

Mon, 02 May 1994 01:37:22 GMT
 Prolog for large systems?

Quote:
>We are embarking on a large and as yet somewhat ill-defined expert-system
>development effort.  One member of our group has significant previous
>experience with KnowledgeCraft.  While he found KnowledgeCraft to be quite
>powerful, the performance degraded too quickly as the rule-set grew
>large.

>For our new system, we are considering the use of Quintus Flex and Quintus
>Prolog.  At this point we are quessing that we may ultimately be looking
>at a system with around 500 frames and 15,000 rules.

>We would very much appreciate any information anyone out there may have on
>the performance of Prolog for systems of this size.

How you structure the system will have an enormous effect.  Also, make
sure that you disable all frame facilities that you don't really need
(I know that KnowledgeCraft permits this, but not whether Flex does),
that you have as much real memory as possible, and that you understand
how argument indexing is used in Prolog implementations.

This message uses 100% recycled electrons.

Sat, 07 May 1994 04:20:25 GMT

1. Problem with framing layout on a system using large fonts

2. CFP OOPSLA'96 Workshop on Objects in Large Distributed and Persistent Software Systems

3. Large Basic Systems known?

4. Performance problems with large systems

5. Large Forth systems

6. OOPSLA'97 Workshop: Evolving Software in Large Scale Persistent Systems

7. Options for optimizing a large Ruby system

8. I find large VHDL code(for my partition system)

9. O-O complexity in large systems

10. Ada95 large system architecture??

11. Large Systems Cobol -> Java

12. Porting a large system to DVF V5.0