comp.lang.prolog Frequently Asked Questions
Author Message
 comp.lang.prolog Frequently Asked Questions

Archive-name: prolog/faq
Posting-frequency: twice a month

     This article contains the answers to some Frequently Asked
Questions (FAQ) often seen in comp.lang.prolog.  It is posted
(twice a month, currently on the 1st and 16th) to help reduce
volume in this newsgroup and to provide hard-to-find information
of general interest.

     The World Wide Web URL for this FAQ is:
http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~dirk-jan/prolog/faq/

     This article includes answers to the following questions.

 0. General information
 1. What is the Association for Logic Programming?
 2. Where can I get a public-domain, free Prolog for system
    X (the IBM PC, the Mac, Unix or other)?
 3. What commercial systems are available?  What about systems
    available for a price from research institutions?
 4. How do I get in touch with my Prolog's users' group,
    sales representative, or technical support line?
 5. I think language X is better than Prolog.  What do you think?
 6. What are the recent developments?
 7. My Prolog prof assigned me this problem.  Can you help
    me with it?
 8. Can you suggest some books on Prolog?
 9. Are there any FTP archive sites for comp.lang.prolog?
10. How can I get a copy of the draft ISO Prolog standard?
    Where can I go for more information about it?
11. How does the WAM (Warren Abstract Machine) work?  How do I
    write a WAM-based compiler or a WAM emulator?
12. Is there a WWW (World Wide Web) page on logic programming?
13. Can do I do Internet/WWW programming with Prolog?
14. Is there a WWW (World Wide Web) page with some tutorials on
    prolog?

     Please forward suggestions for further questions and
answers to the current FAQ maintainer, dirk-jan at selwerd.nl
(Dirk-Jan Faber).

Changes in this version:
* Update of GNU Prolog (version, ftp site)
* Added another Prolog tutorial to section 14 of the FAQ
* Fixed an error in the year the book of Bratko was published

                        *       *       *

0. General information

     The newsgroup "comp.lang.prolog" discusses the language
Prolog and other "logic programming" languages.  Logic
programming languages, in general, are programming languages
which incorporate some of the language of mathematical logic;
unification and backtracking search are common operational
features.  For more background information about Prolog, see the
list of books in Question 7 of this list.

     To cut down on unnecessary postings to comp.lang.prolog,
whenever I see a question there that is answered by the FAQ
list, I (Dirk-Jan) try to respond to the questioner by e-mail,
quoting the relevant section of this list.

                        *       *       *

1. What is the Association for Logic Programming?

     To keep up with the current state of logic programming
technology, readers can join the Association for Logic
Programming (ALP) and receive their Newsletter.  For details on
how to join, contact:

        The ALP Administrative Secretary,
        Dept. of Computing,
        Imperial College,
        180 Queen's Gate,
        London, SW7 2BZ, UK

Fax:    +44 171 589 1552
Phone:  +44 171 594 8227

     The Prolog Resource Guide (v0.6) was printed in issue 5/1
of the Newsletter (Feb. 1992). This lists information concerning
Prolog Archives, Books, Suppliers, etc.  It is now maintained by
Mark Kantrowitz (Mark.Kantrowitz at GLINDA.OZ.CS.CMU.EDU), and
used to be posted periodically (?) to comp.lang.prolog (see question
3 and 8).

     To send in Newsletter contributions, write to:

        Patricia Hill,
        Dept. of Computing,
        Imperial College,
        180 Queen's Gate,
        London, SW7 2BZ, UK

Email:  alp at doc.ic.ac.uk
Fax:    +44 171 589 1552
Phone:  +44 171 594 8227

For more information, check http://www.*-*-*.com/

                        *       *       *

2. Where can I get a public-domain, free Prolog for system X
   (the IBM PC, the Mac, Unix or other)?

     The following are anonymous-FTP sites for free Prologs
(or related languages) which are either in the public domain or
are "copy-lefted" (permitted to be copied with some restrictions
on commercial use).

     (Please note that for extensive development work, users
will probably want a robust interpreter or compiler with good
debugging facilities and a standard syntax, among other things.
While public-domain systems are a valuable service to the
community, they do not necessarily have all these things, and
users should weigh carefully what they want to do against the
capabilities and costs of the available systems.)

- Name     : ALF (Algebraic Logic Functional language)
  Platforms: UNIX
  Available: Anonymous FTP from ftp.germany.eu.net,
             directory "pub/programming/languages/LogicFunctional".
  E-mail   : opalla at julien.informatik.uni-dortmund.de (Rudolf Opalla).
  Info     : WAM-based language with narrowing/rewriting

- Name     : Amzi! Prolog
  Platforms: Window, Linux and Solaris
  Available: http://www.*-*-*.com/
  E-mail   : info at amzi.com
  Info     : Free Personal & Evaluation License. Registration is
             compulsory.

- Name     : Aquarius Prolog 1.0.
  Platforms: UNIX
  Available: http://www.*-*-*.com/
  Info     : High performance, commercial functionality except debugging
             and modules.

- Name     : Argo Prolog v.1.1
  Platforms: Solaris 1.x and HP-UX 9.x.
  Available: Anonymous ftp from ftp.csk.co.jp, directory
             "/pub/CSK/argo_prolog".
  Contact  : doi at csk.co.jp (Takao Doi).

- Name     : B-Prolog 3.2
  Platforms: Win32, Solaris, SunOS, UNIX, FreeBSD and Linux
  Available: http://www.*-*-*.com/
  E-mail   : zhou at mse.kyutech.ac.jp (Neng-Fa Zhou)
  Info     : Freely available for non-commercial use. For other use a
             license is needed.

- Name     : BinProlog 7.0
  Platforms: Windows 95/98/NT, Linux and all major Unix platforms.
  Available: http://www.*-*-*.com/
  E-mail   : binnetcorp at binnetcorp.com (Paul Tarau)
  Info     : Download free evaluation copies and see online demos.
             Inexpensive Educational licensing available.Has
             built-in networking, multi-threading, mobile code and
             distributed blackboards. Supports BinNet Internet
             Programming Tool kit (see http://www.*-*-*.com/ ).

- Name     : Brain Aid Prolog (BAP) v1.4
  Platforms: Transputer systems
  Available: http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~ost/private.html
  Info     : BAP is a parallel prolog system for Transputer systems.
             Available under a Berkely style of copyright.

- Name     : Ciao 1.4
  Platforms: Linux, Win32 (95/98/NT), Solaris, SunOS, UNIX in general.
  Available: http://www.*-*-*.com/
  E-mail   : Developers: ciao at clip.dia.fi.upm.es (Users:

  Info     : Next generation LP/CLP system. Commercial functionality,
             but freely available w/source. ISO-Prolog + modules,
             networking, multi-threading, clp(r), clp(q), interfaces
             (Java, C, tcltk, WWW, databases/ODBC, ...), functions,
             higher-order, records, persistence, objects, assertions
             (types, modes, ...), source de{*filter*}, auto-documenter, static
             de{*filter*}, and more.

- Name     : clp(FD)
  Platforms: UNIX
  Available: anonymous FTP from ftp.inria.fr, directory
             "/INRIA/Projects/ChLoE/LOGIC_PROGRAMMING/clp_fd".
  Contact  : daniel.diaz at inria.fr (Daniel Diaz).
  Info     : Constraint logic programming over finite domains. Requires
             GNU C v.2.4.5 or higher.

- Name     : clp(FD,S)
  Platforms: UNIX
  Available: http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~georget/clp_fds/clp_fds.html
  Contact  : Yan.Georget at inria.fr (Yan Georget).
  Info     : Requires GNU C (gcc) version 2.4.5. or higher.

- Name     : CLP(R)
  Platforms: UNIX
  Available: e-mail request from Joxan Jaffar, "joxan at watson.ibm.com".
  Info     : Constraint logic programming language, for academic and
             research purposes only.

- Name     : ECLiPSe Constraint Logic Programming System, subsuming Prolog.
  Platforms: Solaris, SunOS, Linux Windows NT
  Available: http://www.*-*-*.com/
  Info     : License required, but free for research and educational
             purposes.

- Name     : GNU Prolog 1.2.1 (stable)
  Platforms: SunOS/sparc, Solaris/sparc and GNU/Linux/ix86.
  Available: Anonymous ftp from ftp.inria.fr,
             directory /INRIA/Projects/constraintes/gnu-prolog/.
  E-mail   : daniel.diaz at inria.fr (Daniel Diaz)

- Name     : Jinni 2.27
  Platforms: Java-based
  Available: http://www.*-*-*.com/
  Info     : Multi-threaded, Java based Prolog interpreter with
             built-in networking, distributed blackboards and
             mobile code (inexpensive shareware licensing available).

- Name     : KLIC
  Platforms: UNIX
  Available: Anonymous FTP from ftp.icot.or.jp, file name
             "/ifs/symbolic-proc/unix/klic/klic.tgz".
  Info     : ICOT Free Software.  Concurrent logic programming. Tested on
             Sparcs, DEC 7000, Gateway P5-60.
  Contact  : ifs at icot.or.jp

- Name     : Logtalk 2.4.0
  Platforms: Prolog pre-processor for any Operating System
  Available: http://www.*-*-*.com/
  E-mail   : pmoura at noe.ubi.pt (Paulo Moura)
  Info     : Open source object-oriented extension to Prolog
             available under Perl's Artisitc license.
             Compatible with most Prolog compilers.

- Name     : LPA MacProlog, demo version
  Platforms: Apple Macintosh
  Available: Anonymous FTP from aisun1.ai.uga.edu, directory ai.prolog
             download "Contents" first.

- Name     : Mercury v0.10
  Platforms: Runs on Solaris, SunOS, IRIX 5.x, HPUX, ULTRIX, AIX, Linux,
             Windows 95 and

read more »

Fri, 07 May 2004 06:00:07 GMT
 comp.lang.prolog Frequently Asked Questions
The comp.lang.prolog FAQ says :

Quote:
> 3. What commercial systems are available?  What about systems
>    available for a price from research institutions?

>      Many commercial systems are listed in the periodically
> posted Prolog Resource Guide.  The Resource Guide also lists
> many systems which are not exactly "commercial", but available
> for a price from research instutitions.  The list of such
> systems was originally compiled by Chris Moss, of Imperial
> College.  The rest of the Resource Guide was originally compiled
> by Dag Wahlberg, of Uppsala University.

>      The Resource Guide is now maintained by the kind efforts
> of Mark Kantrowitz, "Mark.Kantrowitz at GLINDA.OZ.CS.CMU.EDU", who
> posted it on the 14th of every month on comp.lang.prolog.  It is
> also available by anonymous FTP from "ftp.cs.cmu.edu"
> [128.2.206.173] in the directory
> "/afs/cs.cmu.edu/project/ai-repository-3/ai/lang/prolog/faq",
> as the files "prg_1.faq" and "prg_2.faq".

Its no longer being posted to comp.lang.prolog .
I've never seen it, and I've been posting to this newsgroup for years.

I am unable to access this Resource Guide by FTP.

I typed this into my browser, but I just get the
message "Cannot find server".
ftp://ftp.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs.cmu.edu/data/anonftp/project/ai-repositor...
lang/prolog/faq/prg_1.faq

Am I typing in the wrong thing?
What do I need to do to find this Resource Guide?

Does the Resource Guide still exist?

This is not the first time that I've tried and failed to  access
the Resource Guide mentioned in the comp.lang.prolog FAQ.

If this guide is no longer online then you should
remove all mention of it in the FAQ.

--
Martin Sondergaard,
London.

Mon, 24 May 2004 05:29:28 GMT
 comp.lang.prolog Frequently Asked Questions

Quote:

>>      The [Prolog] Resource Guide is now maintained by the kind efforts
>> of Mark Kantrowitz, "Mark.Kantrowitz at GLINDA.OZ.CS.CMU.EDU", who
>> posted it on the 14th of every month on comp.lang.prolog.  It is
>> also available by anonymous FTP from "ftp.cs.cmu.edu"
>> [128.2.206.173] in the directory
>> "/afs/cs.cmu.edu/project/ai-repository-3/ai/lang/prolog/faq",
>> as the files "prg_1.faq" and "prg_2.faq".
> Its no longer being posted to comp.lang.prolog .
> I've never seen it, and I've been posting to this newsgroup for years.
> I am unable to access this Resource Guide by FTP.
> Does the Resource Guide still exist?

Quite right, this posting hasn't happened in years.  Google
finds the following link from 1997, which looks like Kantrowitz's
last:

http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/Groups/AI/html/faqs/lang/prolog/prg/top.html

The pages appear to work (I didn't test them all).

There is also:

http://www.faqs.org/faqs/prolog/resource-guide/

Which is a bit older, and which also appears to be the same as this:

http://www.cs.ruu.nl/wais/html/na-dir/prolog/resource-guide/.html

I won't bore you all with the other pointers that seem to point
back to these ones.  Seems like this needs to be investigated as
there certainly have been many changes in the Prolog world since
1997.

John C. Paolillo
SLIS and Informatics
Indiana University

Mon, 24 May 2004 08:13:34 GMT
 comp.lang.prolog Frequently Asked Questions
Hello group,

As the maintainer of the FAQ of this newsgroup some remarks about this
subject.  Since my graduation I haven't been able to work a lot with
Prolog anymore.  Maintaining the FAQ isn't that much work, and the
posting goes automatically, so that's no trouble at all.

The maintaining itself is done by doing the updates that I receive by
mail. Not much trouble there, as it doesn't cost me a lot of time. I
even am working on converting the faq to docbook. The compagny I work
for (SNOW (http://snow.nl/)) gave me some time to dive into that and
convert this FAQ. That part isn't finished yet, but the first results
can allready be viewed on http://selwerd.nl/~dirk-jan/prolog/faq/sgml/
with the html version on http://selwerd.nl/~dirk-jan/prolog/faq/html/

The harder part is the content of the FAQ itself. As I mentioned, I
don't work with Prolog anymore and don't read all articles in this
group anymore. I don't feel that determining wether a question belongs
to the FAQ is up to me, while it ought to be up to you guys.

Anyone with some thoughts about this?

B.t.w. I try to frequent this newsgroup more often, but sometimes a
week goes by without usenet. Courthesy mail copies might help in
quicker responses.

Kind regards,
   Dirk-Jan

Mon, 31 May 2004 05:40:08 GMT
 comp.lang.prolog Frequently Asked Questions

Quote:

> The harder part is the content of the FAQ itself. As I mentioned, I
> don't work with Prolog anymore and don't read all articles in this
> group anymore. I don't feel that determining wether a question belongs
> to the FAQ is up to me, while it ought to be up to you guys.

> Anyone with some thoughts about this?

This sounded to me as if Dirk-Jan after many years of service to comp.lang.prolog -
suggested kindly that someone else takes over the FAQ.
I asked him whether this was the case and he answered:

Quote:
> Well, it might indeed be better for the quality of the FAQ if someone
> took over. But if that person doesn't frequent the group too, there
> won't be much improvement and I'd rather keep maintaining the FAQ.
> But the thought of someone else taking over does not sound too bad,
> if you can find a good candidate, I'll give you all the help I can.

I thought that Remko Troncon here in the department of computer science, just started a PhD,
frequenting comp.lang.prolog and intending to continue that, would be a good candidate to take
over the FAQ, and under my "supervision" as far as required.
Remko had contact with Dirk-Jan in the mean time and they are both ok with this.

We do not want to make a change of maintainer of the FAQ with at least some approval from the
news group readers, so I am putting forward the following proposal to comp.lang.prolog:

        send thanks to Dirk-Jan Faber for his efforts in maintaining the FAQ for us
                (you can do this by private e-mail if you want)
        send to comp.lang.prolog your accept or reject wrt Remko Troncon becoming
            the maintainer of the FAQ - it is important that you do this publicly, ie in comp.lang.prolog,
            not by private e-mail to either of the actors involved
        alternative proposals are also welcome of course - preferably public

If by January 6, 2002 there are enough accepts, not too many rejects, and no more
attractive proposals, the FAQ will move here. Ok ?

Best wishes

Bart Demoen

Tue, 08 Jun 2004 21:24:12 GMT
 comp.lang.prolog Frequently Asked Questions

Quote:

> We do not want to make a change of maintainer of the FAQ with at least some approval from the
> news group readers, so I am putting forward the following proposal to comp.lang.prolog:
>         send to comp.lang.prolog your accept or reject wrt Remko Troncon becoming
>             the maintainer of the FAQ - it is important that you do this publicly, ie in comp.lang.prolog,
>             not by private e-mail to either of the actors involved

Accept!

--
Gertjan van Noord Alfa-informatica, RUG,  Postbus 716, 9700 AS Groningen
vannoord at let dot rug dot nl            http://www.let.rug.nl/~vannoord

Wed, 09 Jun 2004 10:54:21 GMT
 comp.lang.prolog Frequently Asked Questions
Bart Demoen a crit :

Quote:

>         send thanks to Dirk-Jan Faber for his efforts in maintaining the FAQ for us
>                 (you can do this by private e-mail if you want)
>         send to comp.lang.prolog your accept or reject wrt Remko Troncon becoming
>             the maintainer of the FAQ - it is important that you do this publicly, ie in comp.lang.prolog,
>             not by private e-mail to either of the actors involved
>         alternative proposals are also welcome of course - preferably public

accept

Jean Michel LECONTE

Wed, 09 Jun 2004 19:48:18 GMT
 comp.lang.prolog Frequently Asked Questions

Quote:

>         send thanks to Dirk-Jan Faber for his efforts in maintaining the FAQ for us

Many thanks to Dirk-Jan!

Quote:
>         send to comp.lang.prolog your accept or reject wrt Remko Troncon becoming
>             the maintainer of the FAQ

I accept.

Quote:
> If by January 6, 2002 there are enough accepts, not too many rejects, and no more
> attractive proposals, the FAQ will move here. Ok ?

Ok. Note that 3 can be 'enough' and 0 'not too many'!
Fred Mesnard

Tue, 22 Jun 2004 00:27:49 GMT
 comp.lang.prolog Frequently Asked Questions

Quote:

> We do not want to make a change of maintainer of the FAQ with at least some approval from the
> news group readers, so I am putting forward the following proposal to comp.lang.prolog:

>         send thanks to Dirk-Jan Faber for his efforts in maintaining the FAQ for us
>                 (you can do this by private e-mail if you want)
>         send to comp.lang.prolog your accept or reject wrt Remko Troncon becoming
>             the maintainer of the FAQ - it is important that you do this publicly, ie in comp.lang.prolog,
>             not by private e-mail to either of the actors involved
>         alternative proposals are also welcome of course - preferably public

Accept.

Tue, 22 Jun 2004 01:12:37 GMT
 comp.lang.prolog Frequently Asked Questions

----------

Quote:

>        send thanks to Dirk-Jan Faber for his efforts in maintaining the FAQ for us
>                (you can do this by private e-mail if you want)
>        send to comp.lang.prolog your accept or reject wrt Remko Troncon becoming
>            the maintainer of the FAQ - it is important that you do this
>publicly, ie in comp.lang.prolog,
>            not by private e-mail to either of the actors involved
>        alternative proposals are also welcome of course - preferably public

Agreed

Graham Thwaites

Tue, 22 Jun 2004 20:12:55 GMT
 comp.lang.prolog Frequently Asked Questions

Quote:

>         send to comp.lang.prolog your accept or reject wrt Remko Troncon becoming
>             the maintainer of the FAQ

Accept - thanks for volunteering!

--
 Joachim Schimpf              /             phone: +44 20 7594 8187

 London SW7 2AZ, UK         /    http://www.icparc.ic.ac.uk/eclipse

Wed, 23 Jun 2004 00:29:29 GMT
 comp.lang.prolog Frequently Asked Questions

Quote:

> We do not want to make a change of maintainer of the FAQ with at least some approval from the
> news group readers, so I am putting forward the following proposal to comp.lang.prolog:

>         send thanks to Dirk-Jan Faber for his efforts in maintaining the FAQ for us
>                 (you can do this by private e-mail if you want)
>         send to comp.lang.prolog your accept or reject wrt Remko Troncon becoming
>             the maintainer of the FAQ - it is important that you do this publicly, ie in comp.lang.prolog,
>             not by private e-mail to either of the actors involved
>         alternative proposals are also welcome of course - preferably public

> If by January 6, 2002 there are enough accepts, not too many rejects, and no more
> attractive proposals, the FAQ will move here. Ok ?

There were no rejects, there were 7 accepts (one was by e-mail to me) and it is January 6, 2002 ...

That means that the practical arrangements for moving the FAQ from Dirk-Jan Faber to Remko Troncon
will start now. There is a good chance you will hardly notice the difference ! But if there is something you

My thanks to Dirk-Jan and to Remko.

Cheers

Bart Demoen

Fri, 25 Jun 2004 17:27:42 GMT

1. comp.lang.prolog Frequently Asked Questions

2. comp.lang.prolog Frequently Asked Questions